VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KatieCadet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I was eager to try out Test Drive 5 on Windows 10 by using nGlide and/or dgVoodoo 2 as Direct3D/Glide wrappers. Unfortunately, when a race is loading, it just crashes the game and sends me straight back to my desktop without any error messages appearing. Any ideas?

Also, when I use dgVoodoo 2 on Test Drive 5, the intro sequence and menu animations will experience some slowdowns.

Thanks!

Regards,
Katie Cadet

KatieCadet2012

Reply 2 of 4, by KatieCadet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

What happens if you run it in direct 3d without any wrapper's
other people have it running

Hi,

I tested with both Direct3D and Glide (Voodoo2) versions of Test Drive 5, and I also tried dgVoodoo's "Disable and pass through to real DirectX", then in the game, I started a race, same result. Also tried removing the dgVoodoo 2 wrapper out of the Test Drive 5 game directory (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Accolade\Test Drive 5), and again, same result.

Also tried fiddling around with the compatibility mode settings by setting the TD5_D3D.EXE and VOODOO2.EXE files to Windows 95, and that didn't help either, so I disabled compatibility mode and started the game in Direct3D Mode, and when I checked the graphics settings for the screen resolution, the game actually freezes for about a few seconds and then crashes to the desktop. I'm using an AMD Radeon RX 570 with an AMD Ryzen 5 processor on my Windows 10 setup.

Regards,
Katie Cadet

KatieCadet2012

Reply 3 of 4, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only advice i have is search youtube for testdrive 5 windows 10
and post a comment asking for help

Last edited by Davros on 2019-07-28, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 4, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get Test Drive 5 working on Windows 10 relatively easily.
What I had to do was apply the TestDrive 5 1.1 patch in Windows 95 compatibility mode. Then use dgVoodoo2 for the game on Windows 10.
Works flawlessly (so far). I have only tested that getting into a race works, not much more than that.