VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by newbie_42

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'v read ALOT of posts on network activity and so forth, and i dont know if im missing something or not. I have very little experience with windows 3.11, I just remember using it back when i was like ... 10? 11? 12? I'm 20 now, and I just decided this would be fun, instead its been very challengeing. I would like to make some connection to the outside world with windows 3.11. From what I'v read so far, this is going to be through parallel port communication with the host machine of some form. I cant find in windows 3.11 anything about a parallel link, further more I cant get my printer to work because it finds no LPT1. My printer happened to have win 3.1 drivers, they installed great. Also there is Samba for windows 3.x

http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/samba/dos.html#msclient

Could anyone help me getting that to work?

I am a software developer and i know quite a bit about new technology, old technology illudes me. 🤣. i didnt get intrested in messing around with software and stuff until windows 98SE and even then it was only batch and html. 😉. Now im a moderate c++ program and advanced Java programmer.

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still don't know what do you exactly want to do. Do you want to use Win 3.11 - nowadays? why?

Are you asking about physical networking layouts instead? Is that the reason your post is located at the PC section?

😕

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think your post would best fit in the Windows section. I am moving it...

PS - My avatar is the front cover for "V for Vendetta" comic book by Alan Moore.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I will watch it for sure but I have got a VERY BAD FEELING about that. 😒

I think Hollywood ran out of ideas a long time ago.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 11, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ya, all of the movies based on games are terrible ( the mortal kombat and resident evil movies for example ). 😒
atleast V for Vendetta is rated R so there's a slight chance of it being good. 😅

Reply 9 of 11, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows Commander 16 bit (Total Commander now) or Laplink had Parallel connections but if your computer is not seeing the parallel port LPT1, then it would be hard to get anything talking through it.

For TCP/IP connections, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 had a winsock. Trumpet Winsock was another popular one back then I remember using on Windows 3.1 since it didn't have a native IP stack. For the built in one in WFWG, go to the Network program group, Network Setup, and click on the Add Protocol button since TCP/IP wasn't installed by default.

I too liked the Resident Evil movies, though it may have been Milla Jovovich more than the plot. Still they are probably the best movies to be made from a game, and the 3rd one has started filming I believe. Of course looking at the competition it wouldn't take much to finish best of class - Doom, Mario Brothers, Tomb Raider, Alone in the Dark, Double Dragon, Street Fighter to name a few.

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first Resident Evil wasn't painful to watch. The second was a bit cheesy and had some parts that frustrated me. Can't think of any other video game movies that I liked or that came anywhere close to doing them justice.

However, comic book movies are a more varied field, and I'd have to agree with WiseMan that the "R" rating is a good sign that the content might not be watered down.

Reply 11 of 11, by WiseMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the resident evil movies were nothing like the game, not scary at all, just action and not enough gore. same thing with the mortal kombat movie, pg-13, no blood splattering fatalities, nothing. the doom movie was so terrible i cant even start to explain it, but it explains it all in the january 2006 issue of pc gamer magazine.