VOGONS

Common searches

Basics

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Jay A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks - I managed to aquire an old fave game of mine (Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Father) on cd the other day, and I'm desperately trying to find a way of playing this. Currently my pc specs are: 1.4ghz, 512mb ddr ram, SBLive 1024 sound card, and currently running Win98. Is there any way to get this running? I tried Abandonware Loader but that was a hassle to run. It said something about the display driver being incorrect, and I also had trouble setting up the sound. Can anyone help me figure this one out, please? I am desperate to get this classic running, if it's possible to do so.

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you running the game under Windows 98 or under DOS? Please try DOS and report back. If you need help with the DOS configuration then ask and ye shall recieve.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jay A I've tried running it under both DOS and Win98 - neither seem to work.

Well we need to break it down to a step-by-step process. Start with the Windows version as that has less to configure.

Change your desktop to a 256-color display and install the Windows version of G.K. Does it install successfully?

Reply 6 of 12, by Jay A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I installed the game under Win98 - it seemed to install correctly. It then needed to install something called Runtime 1.1 for Windows, which it did. I changed the settings to 256 colours, restarted the pc, and then double clicked the icon in the GKCD dir, but I get an error saying: "Windows title not found" and it doesn't run. Any thoughts?

Reply 7 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jay A It then needed to install something called Runtime 1.1 for Windows, which it did.

Actually, you should have cancelled that. It was installing "Video for Windows". That's Video for Windows 3.1, it's actually years older than the Video codec that is already installed in Win9x. It won't really harm your OS, but some more recent video files might not play properly if it overwrote a newer video codec.

...and then double clicked the icon in the GKCD dir, but I get an error saying: "Windows title not found" and it doesn't run. Any thoughts?

Ah! Dont do that! Use the Windows icon that it creates in your START menu.

For example I installed mine on my F: drive, so it was in F:\SIERRA\GKCD. But it doesn't just use the SIERRAW.EXE. When I look at my startup icon it displays the actual startup that is used:
F:\SIERRA\GKCD\SIERRAW.EXE F:\SIERRA\GKCD\resource.win

Be aware that your CD is probably like mine, made with Win 3.1 in mind instead of Win9x. I have come across occasional oddities while running it, but nothing really consistent to report.

Not sure if Sierra ever released a "more updated" version.

Reply 8 of 12, by Jay A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thanks to the help from your goodself I seem to have gotten it working - thankyou! I've been searching for this game for years and finally have a chance to play it again.

Next project: get those other classic point 'n' click adventures. Is it true that Lucasarts have stopped producing the first 2 Monkey Island games? Are they difficult to get running?

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jay A Well, thanks to the help from your goodself I seem to have gotten it working

Glad to hear it. Hopefully you saw the earlier posts about saving and loading games. Apparently only safe on the MAP screen.

Is it true that Lucasarts have stopped producing the first 2 Monkey Island games?

Still available on the "Monkey Island Madness CD":
http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/monkey/

Are they difficult to get running?

Not really. Recommend you use ScummVM.