VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running WinXP SP2. When I try to run setup.exe from the CD directory, Installshield starts up, loads for a couple of seconds, and then I get a warning dialog that says "This product will not run on your operating system. Please contact Activision for information on versions of this product localized to work with your operating system." I click OK, and setup exists.

I've searched around, both on google and these forums, and I have not found a solution to this problem; only to problems people have encountered after actually launching the game. But the fact that people are able to encounter ingame problems in WinXP says to me that installing this is possible.

Compatibility mode doesn't do anything, and neither does disabling sound acceleration. This problem happens on both my desktop and laptop, so I don't think the problem is specific to my hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 18, by Supafly77784

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope this response isn't too late, this post is a little stale... But I did just figure this out today, so I thought I'd share it in at least one forum, since I couldn't find the solution anywhere else.
This problem actually has nothing to do with your operating system, it also occurs on Windows 98.
The problem is regional. What you need to do is open up control panel and go to regional and language options. from there,
*EDIT* You only need to change Language for Non-Unicode Programs to United Kingdom. It will install with this change. change standards and formats to United Kingdom (you may want to customize for currency, time and measurement, but maybe wait until after the install), Change location to United Kingdom, and change Language for Non-Unicode Programs to United Kingdom. I'm not sure if you have to change all of these, it may just be the last one. You will need to restart. The game will install, and afterwards you can probably reverse the changes if you want.
You already have the gold patch I guess, that is required for it to work well in XP. If it doesn't work well, IE sound problems, look for patches. If you can't get it to find CD2, put CD2 in your first CD-rom drive, the drive with the letter closest to c. If you are using a virtual drive, you will need to change drive letters with computer management.
Well I hope I covered everything, Game On!

Edit again
this website has instructions for getting the game to run in hi-res.
Sorry, link is broken. Couldn't find a new one.

Last edited by Supafly77784 on 2007-07-01, 03:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4 of 18, by Supafly77784

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something else:
The game works best for me with the 1.081 patch. It will let you use Direct 3D at 800x600, which is better than software at 1024x768. Get the patch, among other things, here.
Also, a link to a site devoted to Interstate '76.
You must uninstall the game completely (delete all files after using control panel uninstall), reinstall and then apply the patch. It no longer gives you a 3DFX option.
Or you could go to that website I mentioned in my last post and stay with the gold patch.
Some people have said they needed to turn down their sound card hardware acceleration in order for the sound to work properly, I have an Audigy 2 value and for me it works fine with no tweaks.

Did you mean the solution is weird? Maybe the person who 'provided the game' lives in the UK, if you know what I mean.

Reply 5 of 18, by Scar_face

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information to install, but when I mount CD 2 in Daemon tools, and I click on Trip and all that stuff, I get an error saying to put in disk 2. Someone plz help!!!! thanks

Reply 6 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scar_face. I have deleted your other post because it was exactly the same as this one. No need for cross-posting.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 18, by Supafly77784

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You must make sure that the drive you have used to mount the image has the lowest letter in the alphabet (closest to c) of all your cd-roms. Eg. if you have a drive D: cd-burner and E: F: G: virtual drives, and you mount to E:, I76 will not run. You can either change the drive letters or burn the image to a CD and put it in the appropriate drive.
To change the drive letters, go to
(classic view control panel)
Control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management.
From there you can swap drive letters, so first swap the one with the lowest letter to something else, then the virtual drive to the lowest.

Reply 9 of 18, by Supafly77784

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try here for server locations:
http://interstate76.com/index2.htm
If anyone is still having trouble installing/playing Interstate 76, and simply must have it, subscribe to Gametap. Gametap has Interstate 76 and the Nitro pack, they work perfectly under XP. They also have 800 some odd other games, and some TV shows and stuff. It's pretty neat.
By the way, what does 'how to do ya own' mean?

Reply 12 of 18, by Supafly77784

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

911.alink.namesdepot.net
That is the last surviving server, I think. Couple of games going as of now. Enter that address into your I76 game server list and not your web browser. To see a server scope, go here.
Sorry for the late response.

Reply 15 of 18, by NoeWhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeh, I'll try...!

I think the reason why I cant join or find any games, is because I live in Australia, and my connection sucks balls. I got a 'nice' deal apparently, but its slow as hell.

Reply 16 of 18, by NoeWhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.. all of this server stuff is getting really annoying.

First off, it says download the source... then I read the multiple readme's till I got to:

This has not been tested lately, and requires both MSVC 4.2 or later and a few odd tools like 'wmake', probably from Watcom C. […]
Show full quote

This has not been
tested lately, and requires both
MSVC 4.2 or later and a few odd tools
like 'wmake',
probably from Watcom C. T

To compile the
game SDK on MacOS, use the CodeWarrior project in

src/mac/macbuild.sit.

It just goes on and on.

Reply 17 of 18, by Pl0pie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all...

I have the game and patched it gold (I think it is 2.0).
I already found out that on some computers I need to disable the soundcards in the device manager to work... but then the Gold version (the original version not) asks for a second CD:
- I dont have a CD2 😮 🙁

I had found an old backup disc on which I had saved the source files and thought it would be fun to play this game again. I managed to install the bare version and play it; but that one crashes too often. So I thought to patch it to the Gold version (2.0 I think), but then of cours I run into the problem of the CD2, which I don't have 🙁
I've tried to find information on the internet, but have not found any fixes for me yet. I even went as far as to look for a no cd c r @ c k but I have not found any for the Gold.

One last question what does the nitro pack for the single player mode? More cars and tracks or a new plot line or something else? When will this game become abandonware so we can all enjoy it again without to much hassle?

Thanks

Reply 18 of 18, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Supafly77784 wrote:
You must make sure that the drive you have used to mount the image has the lowest letter in the alphabet (closest to c) of all y […]
Show full quote

You must make sure that the drive you have used to mount the image has the lowest letter in the alphabet (closest to c) of all your cd-roms. Eg. if you have a drive D: cd-burner and E: F: G: virtual drives, and you mount to E:, I76 will not run. You can either change the drive letters or burn the image to a CD and put it in the appropriate drive.
To change the drive letters, go to
(classic view control panel)
Control panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management.
From there you can swap drive letters, so first swap the one with the lowest letter to something else, then the virtual drive to the lowest.

I've had some problems changing the drive letters. To elucidate what I did, I began with changing my D: drive to Z: but apparently, I still wasn't able to change my mounted drive, I: to a lower drive letter like D: for instance. Do you have any idea of why the other letters aren't available?