VOGONS

Common searches

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy DVD on XP

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so what am I doing wrong? When I use this dll with the hacked executables provided above, I get "The procedure entry point dimeKillEvent could not be located in the dynamic link library DXMCI.dll." And this DLL is much smaller than the previous one.

???

Reply 41 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm...I probably rehacked the executables 😜
The dll is smaller because it doesn't have all the debug crap inside 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    sfa_exe.zip
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Downloads
    570 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 42 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, definitely making progress. Now either executable will run. The problem is, I'm getting a popup saying "Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format." and then another popup from DXMCI saying "Error loading video". I tried to play the movies in Media player directly (which worked before IIRC). The first five seconds or so work fine, and then it seems to choke and play one frame every few seconds as if it can't process the file fast enough or something. (It makes no difference if I copy the file to my hard drive.) It's been a while since I tried this last so it's possible that the codecs or something else on my machine changed since then. Media Player reports that the video codec on the file is "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder".

Any suggestions?

Reply 43 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you have ac3 filter and mpeg2dec installed.
Use the configure from the original release to access the configure dialog. There should be 2 new options. Check force mpeg2dec.

Reply 44 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I reinstalled ac3filter and rebooted. Between those 2 actions, I can now play the movies fine again through media player. But I still get the same error when trying to run the game.

I assume that mpeg2dec is an mpeg2 decoder but I never heard of it. Where can I get it? Is it just a dll? If so, what do I do with it? Just stick it in the directory and register it?

Also, you never told me how to access the configure dialog in the original release, or if you did, I don't remember. You only uploaded the 2 game executables and the dxmci.dll. (I can't go back and check anyway because the original files seem to be gone.)

Thanks for all the help.

Reply 46 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works! Thanks for everything!

The thing with the ESC key is annoying but obviously not a show stopper. Let us know if you ever manage to fix it. But until then, the game is playable! You the man!

Reply 48 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And? Is the CD in the drive?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 50 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Okay. Mounted with -t cdrom ? -ioctl ? -label ?

Reply 51 of 71, by jcgamo88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wouldn't have any clue. I insert the DVD version of the game, click install, get a windows error report, click play, goto new game, see "insert CD1", hit esc, goto missions, click "create mission", see "insert CD1", hit esc, then quit.

Regardless of a fresh install, or modified executables/files from gulikoza.

Reply 52 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sorry - my bad. I didn't see that this thread was in the Windows section.

Reply 54 of 71, by jcgamo88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Other than the missing install log, I've been unable to see any other side effect. I've attempted installing in compatibility mode to no avail also. Both Setup.exe and _setup.exe. Even when downloading the 1.17 patch I get the same problem of CD1 missing.

Reply 55 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.17 patch shouldn't be needed (actually, it must not be installed 😀).
Can you attach your exe files, perhaps you have a different version of the game?

Reply 56 of 71, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jcgamo88 wrote:

Other than the missing install log, I've been unable to see any other side effect.

How can you tell? Do you know what files are supposed to get copied into the directory? What files do you have there? And how do you know there isn't supposed to be some registry entry created at the end or something?

Reply 57 of 71, by jcgamo88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GetExitCodeProcess is the last bit mentioned in the error report log. Registry values are written, considering the program is listed in the add/remove program list.

All 90MB of files are installed. Here's a copy of the executable from a "fresh" install.

One thing I did find curious, was that years ago I thought I remembered the game installation requiring nearer to 200MB of space. During install, the requirement is listed as only 90MB.

Attachments

• Filename
    sfa.exe
    File size
    1.91 MiB
    Downloads
    276 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    sfad3d.exe
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Downloads
    470 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    mp.exe
    File size
    692 KiB
    Downloads
    481 downloads
    File license

Reply 59 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heh..great. You have a completely different version (and it's also 1.15) 😀
Here are the modified executables, but I can't promise anything. Obviously it doesn't work with my install...I can't even see if it uses MCI or it is tailored for some software player (as would mp.exe suggest)

Attachments

• Filename
    sfadvd.zip
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Downloads
    386 downloads
    File license