Common searches

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy DVD on XP

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cds shouldn't be needed...they just didn't change the message, dvd should be ok. Does the game work without any patches? The version I have worked, just the movies didn't play...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 64 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, no problems that I can remember. Even without my modifications the game worked, just the movies didn't play.
I have no idea why you have such problems 😕

Reply 65 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've released dxmci v1.5. It's (hm, I hope, haven't worked on it in a while) basically the same dll as the one I posted here. I've also released the sources if anyone takes care to take a look at that SFA ESC problem 😀

Reply 66 of 71, by macnbc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having difficulties with this game and this thread came up.

I'm using the MCI app Guilikoza developed and modified EXEs, but while the first FMVs play out fine for me, the first "conversation" scene skips off. I've tried every conceivable compatibility setting (both in MCI and in Windows).. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 68 of 71, by manx7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys just stumbled onto this thread, I have e Starfleet academy but the 5cd version from years ago and all I did to get the game to work as normal on XP PRO was to install the game as normal then in the installation folder then set SFA.exe compatibility mode to win98 then look for a file called sfa.cfg open it in notepad and change where it says

moviePath=c:
voicePath=c:

To whichever drive I have the SFA CD in, in my case it was drive F:
So I just change it over to

moviePath=f:
voicePath=f:

It solved all my problems the game runs as it did on windows 98 direct from the CD. And plays all videos. Now I know you have the DVD rom version so I don’t know if things are exactly the same with that one but maybe this will help anyway. Just thought I’d add this info in case it helps. Good luck guys 😁

Reply 69 of 71, by -fedaykin-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

gulikoza, some more help, please? a new version? or perhaps 100% clear and foolproof instructions on how to apply it so that it would work? or tell us with which codec this is sure to work? i did everything said in this topic 100 times over and over again and your patch still doesn't work for me. all i can do is play the movie files using media player, but when i run the game i always get the unsupported format error.

edit: i was able to resolve the problem. i uninstalled all codec packs and codecs that i had installed. then i downloaded the latest version of ffdshow, installed it and used gulikoza's wrapper along with the patched exes posted somewhere above (i think the newest ones don't work, get the ones before that post).

the game works now with two minor problems: 1) each time a new video is played, the game minimizes. you can simply maximize it again and it should still work (at least it does for me in win7), you won't miss anything (there is a slightly longer pause every time a new video is loaded). 2) sometimes the screen will become black (but not during videos), particularly when you get dialogue options and in the menus. this can be solved by simply moving the mouse around until the text becomes visible. weird glitch, but that's how it is. also, use win98 compatibility mode on the sfad3d.exe, nothing else worked for me.

Reply 70 of 71, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never tested this in win7 (it wasn't even out then 😁). I never posted full instructions, since I didn't get the game to run perfectly...the most troublesome problem for me is that once you skip one movie with ESC, all movies will skip. That and the black screen problem (which does not seem to be caused by my patch but a bug in the game) made me to somewhat forget about this game...

Reply 71 of 71, by mrredhatter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Can someone help me start from the top? I'm using Win7 with Starfleet Academ DVD with Chekov's Lost Missions CD.

1) Install DVD game.
2) Install CD expansion by running in compatability mode to trick installer. (Installing the expansion eliminates the need to manually update the game I'm assuming.)
3) Download and install "ac3filter_1_63b".
4) Download and extract "dxmci15.zip" to "AC3Filter" directory thus replacing the original "dxmci.dll".
5) Run the newley extracted "configure dxmci.lnk" and select "Force Mpeg2Dec".
6) Download and extract "mpeg2dec.zip" into a perminate directory of my choice.
7) Run the newly extracted "register.bat" file.
😎 Restart PC.
9) Download "sfa_exe.zip" and extract into games directory, replacing "sfa.exe" and "sfad3d.exe".
10) Create a shortcut to the newly extracted "sfad3d.exe" and enable compatability with for Win98/ME, 256 colors, and 640x480 resolution.

I know that I'm missing something, please help!