Common searches

CD Audio

Topic actions

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay...why do games with CD audio cause my controls to lock up for a few milliseconds every few seconds? It makes it impossible to play them without turning music off, which sucks.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beats me. Gremlins? Have you tested the CD with a utility to make sure all functions are working correctly (not just basic data transfer)?

Is your CD forcing a Digital audio transfer instead of Analog (IE:Transferring the CD audio digitally back to your audio card/chip instead of just playing the audio using an analog connector)?

Could be a lot of things...

Reply 3 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's only got digital audio connected, so, yeah.
I might check to make sure DMA didn't get disabled somehow.

Err, since I can't seem to find any DMA settings, I'll assume they're not something that exists in W2K. This assumption is probably incorrect, but I can't find them, so someone will have to point them out 😁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know if you're pumping the audio data through IDE, it's a lot heavier on resources than just plain "audio playing". On the flipside, you get "pure audio". I'm not sure how NT OS's handle that stuff.

Reply 5 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, it should be playing through the digital CD port. (It's a two-prong cable that goes into the back of the drive and connects to your soundcard, like the CD audio connector -- only smaller and more precise.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny how easy it is to wipe out so much typing by hitting Ctrl-V instead of Ctrl-C.

Forgot that the newer CD/DVD drives have a true Digital port on the back so you don't have to dump it through IDE anymore.

I still think this involves more processing than analog. All I can think of is to run extensive testing on the drive. Sounds like your drive has a problem with streaming audio data. Probably imperceptible with just plain Audio-CD's.

Reply 7 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's also quite easy to hit Ctrl+Z. 😉
If your browser doesn't support it, maybe it's time to upgrade?

It wasn't set to "digital output" so I turned that on. Guess we'll see if it works later (when I find another game that uses CD audio -- I won Driver). 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, I mean I typed in a nice long, coherent, and pertinent reply. I wanted to spellcheck it quickly, so I highlighted all of it, then pressed Ctrl-V. This of course pasted some old garbage text in place of my response. I had to wait about 12 hours to calm down.

I'm presently using IE 5.5, Netscape (Win98); IE 6.0 (XP), Mozilla 1.1 (Both OS's). I think I've got it covered.

when I find another game that uses CD audio...

Hrmm...Hexen, the only DOOM engine game for the PC that played streaming audio from the CD (that I know of). Interesting to compare it the MIDI "interpretation" <end tangent>.

I won Driver...

Congratulations, now go to the cheats menu. Turn on the "No Damage" and "Freight Train" cheats. Select "Driving Games" from the main menu, choose "Survival", then "San Francisco". Then aim your car at oncoming traffic.

Then watch it rain cars.

Reply 10 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Mwahahaa 😉 I got bored with it after about 5 minutes, heh

Well, that's more of a stress-reliever than an actual game.

But I liked trying for things like "Combos" (starting a chain reaction causing a half-dozen cars to fly simultaneously) "Here's your exit" (forcing cars off the map or trapping police cars in little off-the-road traps they can't escape) or my favorite "Launch" (piling into a car up against an impervious wall causing them to rocket up).

Once saw a car drop on the other side a hill from (virtually) a mile or two away (altitude and distance). Takes a while for them to drop from orbit, though.

Don't forget the secret cars. Try the '56 Thunderbird, gets up to 170 MPH. Hit a hill and fly over Miami (usually leaving the map and ending the game). Has an incredibly spongy suspension, though.

CD-Audio behaving yet?