VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by UltraBreytenBreytenbach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I installed "Incoming" on a WinXP SP2 machine with a GeForce 7600 card. It won't start, error message is

CreateSurface for Z-Buffer failed
The pixel format was invalid as specified.

Apparently this error also appears with "Forsaken". Google search reveals a post on another forum that says it could be a problem of the nvidia drivers, older ones might work.

I think this game works well on a Windows 2000 machine and an ATI 9600, I could try on a friend's PC. Anyone experienced this same error somewhere, too?

Regards

UBB

Last edited by UltraBreytenBreytenbach on 2007-04-06, 13:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet the game is using 8-bit palletized textures (not supported in newer nVIDIA drivers *not sure about this*) but this is just a shot in the dark.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Incoming was always Direct3D, and never native to anything. All those "3dfx, PowerVR, ATI, Rendition" shortcuts it installs are just preconfigured configs for optimal settings, not actual different APIs.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 20, by UltraBreytenBreytenbach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes leileilol is right, at the moment there is not other solution for me than to intall it on a second pc with my old radeon card. Whilist dgVoodoo helps me regarding Need for Speed II SE / III and Wing Commander it can't here.

Reply 5 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this for Incoming, right-click the shortcut and change the Target so it has -screenmode on the end, like this:

Target: incomingfolderaddress\incoming.exe -screenmode

This give you a drop down where you can choose resolution (higher than default one!), maybe it's not getting on with your graphics card (mine in 7800GS+ from Gainward).

Oh and run with Windows98 compatibility 😀

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 6 of 20, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this for Incoming, right-click the shortcut and change the Target so it has -screenmode on the end, like this:

Target: incomingfolderaddress\incoming.exe -screenmode

Oh and run with Windows98 compatibility

I'm "a little" late, but thanks. I was also wondering how to change the resolution for Incoming. Man, how I missed that game!

Reply 7 of 20, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to report that I have 6600GT, XP SP2 and the newest official drivers from NVidia 162.18 and Incoming (bundled with Voodoo 2 Diamond 3D Monster II) is working good, but a little too fast (or maybe I'm getting old? 😉 ).

Thanks for a tip with change of resolution - it works.

EDIT: unfortunately it runs much too fast, making the game unplayable unless you are a masochist. 😉
EDIT2: applying Cyrix patch for Incoming (although I have Athlon64) makes the game run with normal speed.

Reply 8 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zebius wrote:

I'd like to report that I have 6600GT, XP SP2 and the newest official drivers from NVidia 162.18 and Incoming (bundled with Voodoo 2 Diamond 3D Monster II) is working good, but a little too fast (or maybe I'm getting old? 😉 ).

I thought only GeForce 5 (GeForce FX) and below support 8 bit palleted textures.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 20, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I thought only GeForce 5 (GeForce FX) and below support 8 bit palleted textures.

I think you are right, also the new NVidia drivers do not support these textures, so most probably this is not the reason why Incoming doesn't run on computer of creator of this topic.
Looking for a patch for my Incoming I found there were few other versions bundled with other graphic cards - Riva TNT, Matrox, etc. They are not the same (for example Riva TNT patch didn't work on my Voodoo 2 version), and as leileilol noticed these versions are preconfigured for running better on specific card. Maybe just his version doesn't like modern cards?

Reply 10 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zebius wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I think you are right, also the new NVidia drivers do not support these textures, so most probably this is not the reason why Incoming doesn't run on computer of creator of this topic.

Or maybe GeForce 6600 is an exception. I don't exactly remember, but was it in Vogons that I read something about GeForce 6800 cannot do 8-bit palleted textures while 6600 can? Or was it 6200?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 14 of 20, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Guess what '8-bit textures' are a synonym with?

why are you even mentioning 8-bit textures ?
Incomming uses 24bit textures
*.PPM - portable pixmap file format (P3/P6) - 24 bits per pixel

Reply 15 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, if 8 bit textures ain't the cause, then what it is? I always hate it when we cannot play old game in newer cards (well, GLide is an exception). 8 bit textures aside, I think new cards like GF 7 or 8 should be able to play old Direct3D games like Hellbender or MDK.

In short, are there still things that keep old games from being played in newer cards, aside of 8 bit textures? And if there are, then what are they?

Reply 16 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think newer drivers suites are a hog to the system. Remember when you had to download every specific driver for an specific card model. It was more annoying but drivers were more optimized and were smaller in size.

I think the driver for an old Trident PCI card I have somewhere is less than 500KB when zipped.

Take the new game BioShock for instance. If you have an nVidia card, you need to download latest ßeta driver to avoid some problems. Heck, even official drivers don't work as supposed to.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 17 of 20, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may not be a gfx card problem but a xp problem

ps: have you tried setting your desktop to 16bit it could be the game doesnt know how to deal with a 24bit/32bit zbuffer
when you set the desktop to 16bit the drivers usually set the z to 16bit

Last edited by Davros on 2007-09-12, 02:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It runs fine on my Nvidia Gainward GS7800+ (one with the 7900 chip on and 512MB RAM) using latest non-beta drivers. To get speed right, turn on "frame scaling" in the games video options inside the game.

As for it not working, um... well I also have Win98/ME compatibility on the shortcut (running XP Home SP2). Am using desktop 32bit colour too, so not so sure what's up for you other guys 😖

Reply 19 of 20, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm upping this topic to post a problem I had and how I solved it. The image was flickering annoyingly during gameplay, then I discovered that to avoid the flickering I had to... disable the music.
That's right: the action of reading music from the CD interfered with the display and caused it to flicker. By setting "Music off" in the audio menu, I solved the problem.

BTW, where is the Cyrix patch located? I read that it's also used to lock the framerate to 30 fps. Right now I don't have any framerate problem (I have vsync activated and the refresh frequency set to 60 Hz), but in the future... you never know.