VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's up. I've been trying to Dungeon Keeper gold working on Vista. It was originally a Windows 95 game. I have it working in XP but it's a pain to dual boot for one game. The XP fix was simply selecting 'Windows 98 / ME' compatibility mode.

Here's what I've tried:

• All the OSs under the compatibility tab
  • Running as administrator
  • Disabling UAC
  • The above for both the software and D3D version

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any advice?

The game will load the splash screen but fail (no error message) before the intro runs.

Last edited by Elky on 2007-05-24, 02:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, 95 compatibility mode worked here in Vista for DK1 (same thing I had to do to get it to work in Vista).

A long time ago I had to use the ACT to get DK1 to work in XP but over time I no longer had to. MS probably included a fix for it in the compatibility database.....but not likely since if they did they would have made it so that you wouldn't have to use compatibility mode at all. Likely theory is that some other fix had the side effect of no longer required the specific fix from the ACT. (Previously I had to create a custom .sdb and use the "EmulateHeap" option).

Oh, I only tested DK1 on 32bit with XDDM (XP Drivers). So no WDDM and no Aero desktop.

So if your using 64bit and WDDM those could be the culprits.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by Elky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm running Vista RTM with WDDM drivers. There's really no other option that I can see. Disabling Aero didn't do anything either.

For reference, I'm running an old ATI Radeon 9500pro.

Is there an ACT for Vista?

Reply 6 of 11, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

windows 2000 compatibility moder under winXP is better then win95, because well a) it runs faster and b) less likely to crash.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 7 of 11, by hooby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Hmmm, 95 compatibility mode worked here in Vista for DK1 (same thing I had to do to get it to work in Vista). […]
Show full quote

Hmmm, 95 compatibility mode worked here in Vista for DK1 (same thing I had to do to get it to work in Vista).

A long time ago I had to use the ACT to get DK1 to work in XP but over time I no longer had to. MS probably included a fix for it in the compatibility database.....but not likely since if they did they would have made it so that you wouldn't have to use compatibility mode at all. Likely theory is that some other fix had the side effect of no longer required the specific fix from the ACT. (Previously I had to create a custom .sdb and use the "EmulateHeap" option).

Oh, I only tested DK1 on 32bit with XDDM (XP Drivers). So no WDDM and no Aero desktop.

So if your using 64bit and WDDM those could be the culprits.

i think probably most people using vista will be using wddm drivers.
what card are you using?

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm working on my Vista 32bit compatibility list and noticed that Dungeon Keeper Gold Direct3D doesn't work in Windows Vista with the Intel 965 chipset or the Intel 4 graphics chipset using the Windows Vista video drivers. If you use the Windows XP video drivers then Direct3D works fine.

So it's confirmed.

If your thinking of using Vmware 6.5 to run the game then don't bother because it won't work there likely due to the version of D3D the game was coded for not being properly supported in Vmware.

Let's hope XP drivers are still released well into the future at least until emulation software decides to support older versions of D3D.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline