VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by muss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I got a bunch of old Sierra games like Pharaoh, Zeus and so on. All these games are running too fast on my computer with Windows XP, all updates to this system has been aplied and all drivers for videocard, motherboard chipset, soundcard and so on has been updated to the latest versions.

No official patches for the games have helped at all.

Someone would probarbly say that I should set the speed of the games inside the games, but I have tried that, and the outcome is that I have to wait a very long time before any action comes along in the games, and that is not good.

I have also tried to use a program called Turbo, to set the speed of my entire system down to cripple speed. This infact helpds somewhat, but a nasty sideeffect is that the sounds of the games is crippled too, when slowing down the entire systemspeed.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I can do, to make my old favourite games working again ?

Any help or guidelines will be appreciated - Thank you.

Regards

Mikkel, Denmark

Reply 4 of 9, by muss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

First of all - I would not have written the post in the first place, if I ment it as a joke!

Second - I thought this was a serious forum for serious people with serious problems to their beloved games that won't run for one reason or another!

So with this, I can conclude to everyone, that I haven't gotten the games running as they should yet, neither with DOSBox, CPU Killer or with Turbo. This method of slowing down the entire PC still gives me serious problems with jerky graphics and sounds.

So, if anyone would help with some guidelines that hopefully describes what I have to do, or at least points me in the right direction, would be appreciated. I for one can't put "Is this a joke ? or translation problems ?" to any good use.......

Thank you again

/muss - Mikkel from Denmark

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by muss Second - I thought this was a serious forum for serious people with serious problems to their beloved games that won't run for one reason or another!

Yes, it is. That hasn't stopped people from dropping by and posting deliberately useless posts or "nastygrams".

Here is the reason I question the credibility of the question. These are Windows titles that are from 1999-2001. Why on Earth are you using tools primarily designed for DOS games that have no speed control? Why is Snover recommending that you use DosBox when it is for DOS titles only? (and even then, it is only for 386 or earlier titles)

The most important question has to be, why don't you simply reduce the game's speed by adjusting it from within the game.

Reply 9 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Amazing pc you got then.

I'm playing zeus myself sometimes with girlfriend. and it doesn't go too fast and I got not that awfull specs.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!