VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheAlien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey, i've been attempting to run blood omen: legacy of kain on my system for quite some time now.

google, as always, it my bestest best friend and it brought me to this semi-helpful page: http://www.thelostworlds.net/BO1-XP.HTML

however - kain still dosn't fully work, any part of the game where the screen fades will cause either of the two systems i've tried kain on to lock up.

any ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by TheAlien hey, i've been attempting to run blood omen: legacy of kain on my system for quite some time now.
kain still dosn't fully work, any part of the game where the screen fades will cause either of the two systems i've tried kain on to lock up.

NT Compatible only has one success story to post. It claimed full success using Win95 mode. BTW, are you running this on a FAT32 partition?

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by TheAlien I've tried running it off a FAT32 and an NTFS partition, both caused much the same result.

Sorry then, I've hit a brick wall. This will probably need a dedicated fan with a certain amount of hacking skill to troubleshoot.

I have the game, but presently don't have it with me. Might try more thorough testing later. One thing is for sure, the feedback from people is inconsistent. Fully-working, partly-working, mostly working, not working at all...and almost no details....

Reply 4 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to recall running it in Win98SE on a FAT32 partition, so it must be something else. I have the game but not the time to test it to see if I can get it to run in XP.

Reply 5 of 9, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps if you can find the programmer of that hack, then he can look at it?

Then again, it seems like people cannot track him down (sounds like a job for Stiletto!)

Also, he released it unsupported... so he might not be happy about being found.

Reply 7 of 9, by gorham09

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although this is a day late and a dollar short for the original poster, I too thought the game would lock up when things would "fade." The game was clearly running, but you could do nothing within it. I found a solution though. Hit the windows key when this happens (alt-tab did not seem to work). It will drop you back to the desktop after a minute and then just click on the Kain program that's running in the taskbar. It brought me back to the game and I had control again and the game seems to run fine.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks a lot, gorham09!
also had problems with the "fading" in the game (though i did not realize the game stopped because of that until i read your post 😖 ); using the windows key helps in my case as well, and the game runs almost perfectly except for some speed issues (and it's a bit unnerving, with all the fading...)

I'm running the game in Windows XP (with hack of course) from an NTFS partition, so you probably don't have to bother setting up FAT32.

Going to look now if I can find some permanent fix for that fading issue, though i doubt it.

one ring to rule them all...

Reply 9 of 9, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know if this is importatn, but i discovered something:

If i play the game on my desktop pc with a modern Graphics card (ATi 9600 pro)
i also get anytime this fading, and if i play the game on my notebook with a intergrated SIS
graphics - i dont get any fading !!!?

my desktop is:
AMD xp 1800+
768 md 266 mhz RAM
ATi 9600 pro 128 mb
k7s6a Mainboard
Windows Xp Sp 1

and my Notebook is
AMD XP-M 2400+
512 MB ram
SIS 730 Intergrated (shared ram) graphics
WIndows XP SP1

You see i use AMD chips and the same windows version;
i dont know much about notebooks, but i think that the fading seems to
have something to do with the Modern Graphics - the SIS is a "bit" slower
and cant display the d3d applications really good

(btw: i use the kain2kfix on both of them)

I know this is not really a hint 😢 - but maybe it helps someone