VOGONS

Common searches

ROTT Setup in Win95

Topic actions

Reply 24 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to double check (cuz im anal like that!), i can run winrott or glrott on a little puter like this one?

Compaq 4550 with Win95 on it.

Motherboard Specifications, P4GV-LA (Guppy) - c003
Processor 233 MHz AMD-K6 (tm) MMX (tm) Enhanced Processor
Memory 48 MB SyncDRAM
Graphics
Accelerated 64-bit PCI Graphics with Direct3D (tm)
2 MB video memory
Hard drive is just under 4 Gigs

Reply 26 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i burned Winrott to a cd and loaded it on the Win95 puter and copied the 3 Darkwar files to that folder. Used Winzip 8.0 to unzip it, and clicked on the red Winrott icon and got these windows:

First Window:Error Starting Program
The Winrott_Full_v2.24.exe file is linked to missing export USER.DLL:LockSetForegroundWindow.

Second Window behind that one:
C:\WinRott\WinRott_Full_v2.24\WinRott_Full_v2.24.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I redid the entire process several times to make sure i was doing it correctly. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Reply 27 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Suzette wrote:
Ok, i burned Winrott to a cd and loaded it on the Win95 puter and copied the 3 Darkwar files to that folder. Used Winzip 8.0 to […]
Show full quote

Ok, i burned Winrott to a cd and loaded it on the Win95 puter and copied the 3 Darkwar files to that folder. Used Winzip 8.0 to unzip it, and clicked on the red Winrott icon and got these windows:

First Window:Error Starting Program
The Winrott_Full_v2.24.exe file is linked to missing export USER.DLL:LockSetForegroundWindow.

Second Window behind that one:
C:\WinRott\WinRott_Full_v2.24\WinRott_Full_v2.24.exe
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I redid the entire process several times to make sure i was doing it correctly. Can anyone help? Thank you!

That's because it was compiled with a newer VC2005 compiler or so that breaks 9x support. This is exactly why I do not recommend quirky, buggy source ports for legacy computers.

Just stick to the DOS version. Run the sound setup program for that and find settings that work, save then play and that should be it.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 30 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, how would i do that in DOS? I cannot change from C: to D:. If i copy it from Windows, wont it have Windows as part of the pathway, making it impossible to run from DOS anyways? Im lost here.

Reply 31 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Suzette wrote:

If i copy it from Windows, wont it have Windows as part of the pathway, making it impossible to run from DOS anyways? Im lost here.

ROTT isn't dependent on absolute paths at all so it should still work. Are you even trying my suggestions first before asking further questions?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 32 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

leileilol-im tryin to figure out how to follow them. 😀 Not because they are cryptic or anything, but cus i have so little DOS knowledge. Im not even really sure why im having a problem with this install, as i havent found alot of hits when Googling for Rott and win95 install problems.

But it looks like win95 and DOS programs dont play well together. 3DRealms had a link about multiboot installs with win95. That involes changing lines in autoexec.bat files, which i dont know how to do either.
Im wondering if Win98 would work better.

So, how do i copy Rott to my C: and how would i run it from DOS? This is how i think i should do it:

I should somehow copy and paste files from the cd to a folder i make called C:\Rott using Windows. Then i should go to DOS and type (at the C prompt)
\Rott. then when that opens i should enter: SNDSETUP to set up sound.
Then to play it i think i can save from there and play, but if not...i can find out that part off the cd. Is that correct?

Reply 34 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Vogons, ill check both of those out.

After fooling around some i got Rottplay copied to my harddrive into the C:\Rott folder. I deleted all previous rott stuff and started fresh. I tried all 3 ways of launching DOS (MS-DOS Prompt off the start menu, restarting into MS-DOS Mode, and Restarting then tapping F8 and choosing Command Prompt Only). I got the same with all 3.
At the C:\> i entered:
\Rott\Rottplay\Setup.exe or i entered: \Rott\Rottplay\SndSetup.exe
I got into the DOS Main Setup Window. Then i chose setup sound and got:
"Launching Sndsetup.exe!"
<press any key to continue>
WHen i pressed a key it reverted back to the Main Setup Window.
WHen i tried to launch Rott without setting it up, i got:
"Launching Rott!"
"Launch Error: No such file or directory"

Am i gettn close? 😊

Reply 36 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I copied the Rottplay Directory by cutting and pasting. Is there other files i should have included? Which ones?

The other files on the CD besides Rottplay were: Goodies, Rottcd, Rottinst, Sharewar, Support, Cdinst.wad, (another) Rottcd (that looked like a blue etch-a-sketch) and Install.

Reply 37 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

V0g0ns- I tried the oldest version of Winrott (v1.26) and got this error:

"A required .DLL file, SDL_Mixer.DLL was not found."

Should i keep trying more of them, starting from the second version? Thanks to all who have responded!

Reply 38 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Avoid using WinROTT.

Try going into command prompt (Start>run>'command'), change to the rott directory (cd \ROTT\ROTTPLAY\) and run SETUP.

It is possible you were running from a shortcut with a wrong working folder

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 39 of 43, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ignore leilelol, winrott works great! you just need to download this file, unzip it, and put the dll in the winrott directory.
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/rele … 1.2.8-win32.zip

Rise of the Triad forum