VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am an avid Mechwarrior-fan, so of course I own a copy of the Mechwarrior 2: Battlepack (although I would like the Titanium pack more...)...

There's a problem during installation... It seems like there's a file called getinfo.dll that makes the installation crash under windows XP pro...

I have had this exakt problem before, with old install progs which seem to be incompatible either with XP or my 1ghz...

Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have the battlepack. Just the ordinary ver of Mech2 (Dos).

So this ver of Mech2 is for Windows?

Have you tried the Application Compatibility Toolkit or the Compatiblity Shim included with Windows 2000/XP? (Right-click on shortcut and go to compatibility tab, choose Win95)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MW2: Battlepack edition is basicly MW2 with a few fixes, and based on Win95. Nothing drastic... It does only run in 256 colour mode, and it has less (!) screen modes than the original... It DOES have complete support for all DirectInput units (fancy usb joysticks and so on...) and it has some better texturing and lighting.

Anyways, ACM3.0 has nothing on the battlepack edition (at least not for the installer), and the usual Win95 "compability mode" is useless for the installer.

note: MW2: Titanium is a rewrite of MW2 that actually has 3d-card support (if anyone knows where I might get ahold of this, PLEASE tell me...)

Reply 3 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by krank MW2: Battlepack edition is basicly MW2 with a few fixes, and based on Win95. Nothing drastic... It does only run in 256 colour mode, and it has less (!) screen modes than the original...

I remember that this was why some reviewers said to stick with the DOS version as the Windows version actually ran worse.

MW2: Titanium is a rewrite of MW2 that actually has 3d-card support (if anyone knows where I might get ahold of this, PLEASE tell me...)

Should be pretty easy to find in bargain bins and elsewhere.

The trick is that it will probably be only as two separate titles: "MechWarrior 2" and "MW2:Mercenaries" and probably not be identified as TITANIUM on the packaging. IIRC, it uses packing that looks like generic "jewel-case release", but it has D3D support. Check the boxes/jewelcases closely.

Reply 4 of 17, by krank

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The trick is that it will probably be only as two separate titles: "MechWarrior 2" and "MW2:Mercenaries" and probably not be identified as TITANIUM on the packaging. IIRC, it uses packing that looks like generic "jewel-case release", but it has D3D support. Check the boxes/jewelcases closely.

Ok =) didn't know that... Thanks for the tip!

Reply 5 of 17, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, the Titanium versions were always sold (when they were sold legally) as a trilogy, Mw2, MW2: Ghost Bear Legacy, and Mercenaries. I bought them directly from Activision for 40 USD$ at the time, but that was 10 years ago. Make sure spell Titanium correctly.

Reply 6 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Carrera Actually, the Titanium versions were always sold (when they were sold legally) as a trilogy,...

Not quite true, I remember the gold-star re-releases. Kanajana has a version release list. So when is Titanium not Titanium? If it has D3D, but doesn't have the word Titanium on the packaging, what do you have?

Kanajana had a very detailed breakdown on the details of differences between versions. Apparently the Titanium versions actually left out a few things (less audio tracks primarily). There's a lot of confusion about all the versions and the differences between them. I'd quote from Kanajana's site, but it appears to have died...while I was reading it no less... Hopefully it's just a maintenance thing, but he hadn't really touched the site for a good long while...hrmm.

Anyway, like I said...check the specs. The Softkey re-release apparently is software-only.

Reply 8 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Carrera ...when talking to Acti. they said Titanium is Trilogy only. I guess D3D (and 3Dfx) enabled is really all that counts.

Well, to clarify, MW2 and MW2:Mercenaries are available separately, but the 3D-enhanced "Ghost Bear's Legacy" expansion is not.

For whatever reason, the only way of getting a 3D-enhanced version of GBL is the Trilogy package.

It also appears that the majority of re-releases are the Softkey jewel-case version which are apparently software-render only, so it may be hard to find after all...

Trilogy package would be best, but Activision's "gold" re-releases would also be good.

The Interstate 76 series had the same thing.

Which makes sense, since I76 used MW2's engine.

Oh, and it appears that I just happened to hit Kanajana's site during maintenance,... need to archive that site. Tons of obscure data on MW2 there...

Reply 10 of 17, by Raiden Kitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually do have the titanium trilogy. Problem is, I can't play it, after switching to XP. It has the same problem, the installer crashes every time (the same getinfo.dll thing already mentioned.) I've been trying to find a way around it for months. I went as far as buying an old hard drive to install 98 on, just to install MW2, and try transferring it to the XP drive (or just playing it through 98), but the HD was DOA, so that killed that idea. No one's figured out how to get past the installer crash yet?

Reply 11 of 17, by Raiden Kitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind that.

Just go to the cdrom, right click setup.exe, properties, and set it to windows 98/me compatabily mode, run at 640x480, and run in 256 colors. Install, and enjoy.

I can't belive it was that easy...

Reply 13 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is because your Windows installation is broken. I have only seen this occur on systems that have been infected with spyware. To fix, copy C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\AUTOEXEC.NT to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Problem solved.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 17, by Raiden Kitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, doesn't work for me either, I jumped the gun and posted that it worked as soon as it installed, but it doesn't actually -run-. Oh well =/

Shitty part is, MW3 doesn't work either on XP with SP2, since it doesn't like .Net, and MW4 suddenly just decided it doesn't want to run on my computer at all, just CTDs as soon as I try to start it. I can't play any kinda of Battletech game at all, apart from the strategy games, which aren't exactly the same for an obsessive mech pilot like myself. I have plenty of non-Battletech mecha games, but that's not the same. I need to set up a Win98 partition, they should all run on that.

Reply 17 of 17, by Raiden Kitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, depends on how your system is set up. If you're running windows XP, chances are your hard drive is set up with NTFS partitions. Since 98 won't recognize that, you'd have to completely re-format the hard drive as FAT16 or FAT32. In my case, I'm just waiting until next week, when my father finally upgrades his computer, and using his old hard drive for a new windows 98 drive. Since his computer's basically all my spare parts anyway, he can't really complain much about me taking back a part he's not using anymore.

I'd give you step by step instruction to set up the windows 98 partition or drive to work properly with whatever OS you're using now, but I haven't done it before myself, and chances are I'd miss some tiny but critical step, or you'd have some problem I didn't expect come up. Maybe someone else here has done it before and can help more.