VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I have major graphical glitches while playing Omikron the Nomad Soul on my new rig: Radeon HD3850, Pentium Dual Core 2160, 2GB DDR2, XP SP3.

The problem is shown here:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Zebius/Omikron.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Zebius/ … kronscreen2.jpg

It looks that the problem is driver related - plenty blue or black squares on the screen all the time (sometimes covering the whole screen) making the game unplayable. I tried different resolutions both desktop and in game options, tried changing CCC options - AA, AF and so on with
no improvement (turning anti-aliasing on make the things even worse 'cause almost everything is black or blue). Running in 98/ME compatibility mode didn't change anything.
A hint: in order to play this game on XP you need a no-cd crack, without it the game will not even start due to copy protection not compatible with this system.

In software mode this game is unplayable due to huge slowdowns especially with scenes containing light effects (though there are no graphical errors), the only resolution supported in this mode is 640x480x16 and the graphics looks just awful. So this is no go.
With hardware acceleration framerate is very good, but those checkboard squares cover almost everything. In the very first moment after loading the game the 3D scene is rendered correctly but if I start to move or turn around, the artifacts appear and do not dissapear (something like problem with clearing memory cache?).
What is interested even the intro movies which are not 3D scenes look like checkboard and they are total mess. Maybe the fact that the game was designed to work in 16-bit only (and supports DirectX 6.1) has some influence here.

I tested Catalyst 8.4, 8.5, 8.6 with this game and situation is the same. Other games I played so far on my HD3850 work very well both new and old ones (maybe some small glitches which are neglible).

Anyone still playing Omikron? Or maybe some hints on what might be the reason of these artifacts?

EDIT: from time to time it also crashes with messages:
DDERR_SCENE_NOT_IN_SCENE
or
DDERR_SCENE_END_FAILED
(nothing found on google). 🙁

Reply 3 of 14, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah those blocks look strange. i have played omikron some years ago with my gf6800 and had no problems at all. maybe its a driver problem or the card (ATI) itself. you can try some sort of ATI tweak tool where you can modify direct3d stuff more deeply and/or reduce the hardware acceleration setting.

sysprofile.png

Reply 4 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember playing demo of Omikron on NVidia 6600GT with no problems so I also think that this is ATI hardware or driver incompatiblity.

I contacted ATI Customer Care to ask about it, but they replied that due to age and little popularity of this game there is a little chance that someone from Catalyst Crew will ever fix it. Anyway I reported it to Catalyst Crew
yesterday. 😉

So probably the only way to make it playable is some tweak utility, modified drivers or something like that. I tried 3DAnalyze with no effect, I just don't know what setting could help here.

Reply 6 of 14, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think 7.11 is the first version which has 3850 support.

I uploaded the small video from Omikron's intro so you can better see how these artifacts look like.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Zebius/ … t=Omikron-1.flv

EDIT: the same situation is with Omikron demo.

Reply 9 of 14, by jedinat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same issue--my vid card is the Radeon HD2600 pro. I've messed around with ATI Tray Tools and such to no avail. Managed to screw up my display somehow while trying different compatibility options in the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit--My picture had stopped refreshing or something, distorting the monitor. I had to reinstall my display drivers.

Anyways, I'd also appreciate any help in getting this game to work correctly.

Reply 10 of 14, by evancg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know I'm reviving a very dead thread, but I'm experiencing the exact same thing the original poster references. Dell Studio 17 laptop with Radeon 3650. I agree it seems to be an AA issue (if you increase the AA settings, the graphic glitches look different), and in software mode you don't see them (but it runs incredibly poorly).

Did anyone ever manage to resolve this? I'd love to play the game but at this rate I'll have to wait until I get another laptop with an nVidia card.

Reply 11 of 14, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know I'm re-reviving the even more ancient thread, though I just wanted to mention fixes for Z-buffer issue

Also, I'm still unsure whether the effect is working as it should.
See screenshots.

Last, the main menu.
I was starting to assume it was only working in the North American release..
but have a look here and here and you see that the black background behind the "title" is definitively not normal.

Attachments

• 7500LE XP.png
    Filename
    7500LE XP.png
    File size
    375.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 5770 7.png
    Filename
    5770 7.png
    File size
    119.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 5770 7 + injector.png
    Filename
    5770 7 + injector.png
    File size
    110.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 5770 7 + dgVoodoo.png
    Filename
    5770 7 + dgVoodoo.png
    File size
    212.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 5770 7 + DXWnd.png
    Filename
    5770 7 + DXWnd.png
    File size
    99.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by mirh on 2015-11-07, 13:28. Edited 2 times in total.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 12 of 14, by Mr.Blade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should have a look at the GOG.com release of this game - it works like a charm on my R9 270X. I also provide the German language and text files on my website from my game discs and they're compatible with the GOG.com release. I don't know where you are from, but if you still have your original game discs I would consider buying the GOG.com version and migrating your language files in it.

Also thanks for your interesting posting concerning the Z-Buffer glitches with AMD graphics cards in the other thread! 😀

Greetings

Banner01_Small.jpg

Reply 13 of 14, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, I have the GOG version.. It's just that after a bad affair with Atlantis: The Lost Tales I always check the original game for missing stuff
Said this, after you fix Z-buffer (and perhaps remove Safedisc) I don't think you should have other issues.

EDIT: also, I don't understand what was all the fuss around patch 2.0.1.8. And what it did. And why 2.0.0.7 would be newer/incompatible.
EDIT2: mystery solved

Attachments

Last edited by mirh on 2015-11-07, 13:19. Edited 1 time in total.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 14 of 14, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I have the original retail version in the box and it works great on windows 7. I use a E8400 Core 2 Duo with 8GB ram and an AMD Sapphire 7790HD. Never seen what happened to you before, I've had the graphics act weird on computers where the cards were not powerful enough to run it (pentium 3 and 4 machines) but not on my main system.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!