Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard - Dell Inspiron 8100
Processor type and speed - Intel Pentium IIIm - 1.0 GHz
Amount and type of RAM - 512MB
Video board w/ RAM amount and type - nVidia GeForce2 Go - 32MB
Sound board - Ess Maestro
Operating system - Windows XP Home
Game name (and version, if applicable) - Star Trek Klingon (Immersion Studies and Language Lab, 1996, Simon & Schuster Interactive)

Description of problem - The Immersion Studies usually ends with a "GPF in module <unknown> 0C17:2FC4 Klingon will close" error as soon as I double click the icon to start. I think it uses a "Video for Windows" application, which I installed, but now cannot find to uninstall.

Reproducibility of problem - Most of the time. I got it to start once under Windows 98 compatability mode, but only the sound worked. I got no video at all (blank screen). Other compatability modes produced the GPF.

Sound mode used - Unknown

Video mode - "Video for Windows 1.1 Runtime"?

Any help would be appreciated. One strange thing is the Langauge Lab works fine, but I don't think it uses Video for Windows. Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by SharkNose Game name (and version, if applicable) - Star Trek Klingon (Immersion Studies and Language Lab, 1996, Simon & Schuster Interactive)

Wow. So you're the other one who bought it. Will check mine and get back with you.

Don't expect much, any title that wants to install 1.1 runtime is going to be a troublemaker.

Reply 2 of 12, by SharkNose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for the assistance. If I can be of any help or you need further information, please let me know. 😁

Just for the heck of it, I tried the web site that is mentioned in the operation manual (http://www.ssitrek.com) and was redirected to another site with all of Simon & Schuster's Star Trek games. I filled out a technical support request at:

http://www.simonsays.com/subs/txtobj.cfm?area … ve_tech_support

but I'm not optimistic. Their drop down box to identify which OS you have only goes to Windows 98! 😕

I'll let you know if I get a response.

Reply 4 of 12, by SharkNose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've used the Windows 98 compatability many times and cannot get it to work again. The first (and only time) must have been a fluke! I've gone through every combination and permutation of the compatability dialog and always get the GPF. Now I haven't been writing them down, but it seems that the address in the GPF error dialog is not constant.

Reply 6 of 12, by SharkNose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR

Have you tried looking for a patch?

Yes, on the http://www.ssitrek.com site, but there is no patch for Star Trek: Klingon. There are patches for other S&S games, but they are probably newer ones. I've not received a response from S&S tech support yet.

Reply 8 of 12, by SharkNose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't think Klingon Academy is the same game. Thanks for the message, though. Simon & Schuster's site is referring to the game I have as Star Trek Classics: Klingon.

I'll download the patch from the site you mentioned anyway, just to see.

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by SharkNose I think it uses a "Video for Windows" application, which I installed, but now cannot find to uninstall.

I've attached a CleanSweep log of what "Video for Windows runtime 1.1" installed on my "Virtual PC" running Windows 95B. That should at least give you an idea of what it did upon installation (can't be 100% sure as the installer "bombed out" at the very end of the install).

BTW, "Video for Windows 1.1" is not necessary for operation in Windows 95.

Their drop down box to identify which OS you have only goes to Windows 98!

Once I got around to actually installing it, I realized that it was actually coded for Windows 3.1 and was simply "Windows95 compatible", which makes it worse...

Originally posted by SharkNose I've used the Windows 98 compatability many times and cannot get it to work again. The first (and only time) must have been a fluke!

I think it was a fluke. Only a couple of things that came to mind:

1) Updating these files:

DRAGDEV.DLL
DRAGON.DLL
KLAPI.DLL

They all come from the Dragon speech recognition portion of the program and it might be worth trying to replace these with more updated versions (recent versions probably wouldn't work...perhaps from a re-release of the voice-controlled "Star Trek: Omnipedia").

Of course that's only for the voice-input, which, AFAIK still works.

2) I'm thinking that the FMV game can't be run in NT. Reason is the DISPDIB.DLL file it places in the Windows/System directory.

DISPDIB.DLL = Video for Win device-independent bitmap support

From Tom Ryan at SciTech Software:

DISPDIB.DLL will shut down GDI and allow you to go full-screen directly to VGA hardware. There are a few problems with it though, such as event handling and access to SVGA hardware.

One consolation, it seems to run pretty well in "Virtual PC" running Windows 95. So, for right now, I'd say "Virtual PC" or dual-boot.

Originally posted by SharkNose No, I don't think Klingon Academy is the same game.

It's not.

Star Trek: Klingon and Star Trek: Klingon Academy are two very different programs.

Attachments

• Filename
    vfw.txt
    File size
    1.37 KiB
    Downloads
    299 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 12, by SharkNose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you much for the assistance! I'd never heard of Virtual PC before, so I downloaded the trial version. All I need to do now is scare up a version of Windows 95 on CD. I do have Windows 3.1 floppies, so I might try that first.

I'll let you know how things work out! 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by SharkNose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁 Qapla'! Success! I got a Windows 95B CD and installed it under a Windows 95 Virtual PC and Star Trek: Klingon works like a charm! As you said, no "Video for Windows" is needed.

I tried a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 install, but it did not work well. I got a blank screen. Probably because I didn't have the correct drivers installed for Windows 3.11.

Windows 95 did the trick! Thanks for your assistance! A contribution to the site may be in order.

batlh Daqawlu'taH 😎

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and once again this solution has been in my NT Game Compatibility list for at least the last 2 years....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline