VOGONS

Common searches

What are my options?

Topic actions

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey. I'm new, and I was driven here by a tragedy.

For over a decade my solution to playing old games was to use an actual old computer. Unfortunately, that computer has now bit the dust for good. In its place, I was thinking of getting a modern computer (never saw the point of updating since I'm strictly a classic gamer, but Oblivion changed my mind) but...

Well, I know that I can get any *DOS* game to work using Dosbox. But what concerns me are *windows* games, in which case it seems that I'm out of luck unless there's a fan-made patch or an official re-release, which are only helpful if you happen to like popular games (I'm a fan of obscure gems). And yes, I've tried Compatibility Mode on every game I own, but its never worked.

What I'm looking for is something that is like Dosbox, but for Windows 3.1 and 9x--for games that absolutely will not run natively in XP, Vista, or 7. A sort of "Winbox" if you will. I've heard that Virtual Machines are close to what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure, and I'd like the opinions of experts.

Any help will be appreciated. I hope this post made sense.

Reply 1 of 22, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you already own 3.1, you can copy the floppies to your computer and install it to DOSbox. Not sure about 95 but I remember reading a thread here where it was more complicated.

You can also use Wine under Linux, it works better with older programs than newer ones.

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 3 of 22, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How well does Wine work? Will it do games like Amber: Journeys Beyond which require you to install quicktime or other movie codecs?

Is it possible to have a not-quite-obsolete computer (something like the Alienware Aurora) and make it dual-boot Windows 7 and 98 with a minimum of fuss?

Reply 4 of 22, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Movie codecs? I wouldn't think so...
Thought you were talking about 16-bit games.
Vista/7 breaks old 32-bit games?

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 5 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

WINE can be ok for old Windows 95 games, you'd need to look up their compatibility list http://appdb.winehq.org/.
Windows 3.1 can be played using Dosbox (by installing Windows 3.1 in dosbox), this works very well and I'd recommend this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EdmondDantes wrote:

For over a decade my solution to playing old games was to use an actual old computer. Unfortunately, that computer has now bit the dust for good.

I understand your old machine has died, and from reading your post, I am guessing that it had Windows 95/98 on it. I think your solution is to replace this machine's motherboard with another whose chipset still supports Windows 9x. How about an nForce2 chipset-based mobo? That will give you power and speed, and you'll be able use DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 9x and also if you want, you could dual boot it with Windows XP.

Reply 7 of 22, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick question: has anyone here ever tried Virtualization?

I'm asking because it seems to me like my only options are either that, or build a new computer. Kinda wary of the latter because if I build a new computer I'd like it to be a top of the line machine, not something that's intentionally crippled for the sake of classic software.

Reply 9 of 22, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After looking over the suggestions in this topic, here's my preliminary plan of action:

Get a machine like the Alienware Aurora (EDIT: See link below), play DOS games with Dosbox and Windows games via either Virtual PC 2007 or via a dual-boot (will that system even support a Win98 dual-boot?)

EDIT: This is the machine I'm looking to buy:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productd … s=19&l=en&s=dhs

DOUBLE EDIT: Since posting, I've considered the option of building my own PC (mostly because that way I can get an even higher-end system for less). For my needs, which would be a better default OS: XP, Vista, or 7? I've heard XP's "Compatibility Mode" is more reliable than Vista's. Is this true?

Reply 13 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mentioned Amber, here is a solution: http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/amber/index.html

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 14 of 22, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Guys, I'm back and I'm trying something different.

I recently saw Youtube videos of people installing Windows 98 in a DOSbox session. How is this possible? I was thinking that if it works, it would be the perfect solution for much of my gaming library. Anyway, I at least want to try it.

Reply 16 of 22, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm experimenting with virtualization.

EDIT: So far I've tried Virtualbox and Virtual PC 2007. The result: Windows 98 SE is up and running in VPC 2007, and the first game I tested (Amber: Journeys Beyond) showed every sign that it was working fine.

I'm now seeing how far I can push this thing. As soon as I'm done editing this post I'm going to try out Resident Evil 2: Platinum Edition, and after that Half-Life (I'm aware I'll have to play both in software render mode, but I just want to see what kind of games it can potentially handle).

Also going to test a statement I made earlier, re: "Any game that uses some sort of graphics acceleration will run under Vista." My guess is I'll be proven wrong, but I need to see.

Reply 17 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, I was just reading about how some DX7 and DX8 stuff is completely broken in Vista.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US … 5-f5f255c2c679/

Another consideration is that nVidia's newer cards (or rather the newer drivers that support the newer cards) seem to have some compatibility issues with particularly old games.