VOGONS

Common searches

Original DOOM games

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😖
Can anyone help me to get Ultimate Doom, Doom II, the Master & Maximum Levels CD & Final Doom working properly on 7 Pro 64Bit?

Installing using DosBox v0.74 gives me this error: "This program cannot be run in Dos mode" & after a successful install through 7 Pro. 64Bit, the games play in a VERY small window in the upper R-corner of my LCD & it's gray. I'm stumped. Can I never play these games again?

Reply 4 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁
Sorry about the delay in replying, been a bit busy; plus forgot to tick the Notify me box last time I posted.

Thanks for the help & links. I did a few testings & figured out what was going on. All I had to do was make sure the games are running 640x480 & Full Screen. I also had to copy DPlay.dll from each game disk into the games installation directory. I'll do some more testings 2morrow, but they seem to be working now.

2 more questions:
1. How go I get the Master & Maximum Levels installed? I was given errors when I tried (attached).
2. Is there a way to install just Ultimate Doom but have the levels from II & Final be choices when playing?

Attachments

• DOOM error.jpg
    Filename
    DOOM error.jpg
    File size
    50.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I've got Ultimate, II & Final DOOM all installed & working; though not perfectly (& how do I use the Maximum & Master Levels? Been a LOOONNNG time).

While playing Ultimate, II & Final; the colors go almost psychedelic & it's just about impossible to play; I end up exiting the game. What gives? Windows color bits?

Now, do I have this correct:
I copied just the .wad files from the DOOM II & Final DOOM directories & placed them into the Ultimate DOOM directory & now when launching Ultimate DOOM, I can choose the .wads from DOOM II & Final DOOM.

Does this mean:
1. I can actually uninstall DOOM II & Final DOOM?
2. Also copy the .wad files from the Maximum & Master directories?

If at 1st you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Reply 7 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doomsday and zdoom are your best bets, the 1st one if you want to use OpenGL acceleration and effects or the 2nd if you want the original graphics (with the option to run in hi-res modes as well).

Reply 8 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was reading the ZDoom Wiki & I may have missed this/didn't understand correctly.

Am I correct in concluding that after I install ZDoom, I can take all the .wad files from Ultimate, II, Final & Master Levels (my installation of Maximum doesn't have any .wad files) & copy them to the ZDoom dir. & play them all through ZDoom?

If so, do I even need to have Ultimate, II & Final DOOM installed?

Reply 9 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😕 I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Using DosBox, both Maximum & Master have been installed; but I can't get either to play.

1. Open Dosbox
2. Mount C C:\games\Doom\Master (or Maximum)
3. Change to C:\
4. DMLoad
5. Choose Doom 1
6. Choose a .wad

That's when I get: "PROGRAM ERROR! PRESS ANY KEY TO EXIT"

Same error even if I use both:
Mount C C:\games\Doom\Master
Mount D D:\ -t cdrom

I also copied all the .wad files from the Master dir. into the ZDoom dir., but when I start ZDoom, none of those .wad's are found. How do I use the Master & Maximum Levels?

Attachments

• DOOM.jpg
    Filename
    DOOM.jpg
    File size
    48.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try using

Mount C C:\games
Mount D D:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd doom\master (or whatever inside DOOM subfolder)

Hint: PNG format is way better suitable for screen capture rather than JPEG (intended for photographs).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mount C C:\games\Doom\Master

I'm guessing that's where it installed to. Meaning Doom and Doom 2 would be higher up and Doomit won't be able to reach them.

I use MOUNT C C:\DOS\GAMES\DOOM
within that folder I have DOOM, DOOM2, TNT, PLUTONIA, and MASTER

While running Master Levels I set the paths for Doom and Doom 2 as C:\DOOM and C:\DOOM2

Reply 13 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why didn't my pic show up?

Here's what the structure is:
C:\games\Doom

W/in that folder, I have:
Ultimate, II, Master, Maximum, Final, 3, ZDoom, & a folder of WADS

Only Master & Maximum are the one's I can't get to play.

Reply 14 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So by using C:\games\Doom\Master as the root of C:\ you don't have access to Ultimate or II. Which it needs.
Use C:\games\Doom as the root of C:\ then change directory to the one you want to launch.

MOUNT C C:\games\Doom
C:
CD Master
DMLoad

Reply 15 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SKARDAVNELNATE: I did exactly as you stated>

1. Opened DosBox
2. Typed Mount c c:\games\games
3. C:
4. CD Master
5. DMLoad

Menu comes up & I can select Doom 1/Doom 2
After, another menu w/the Wads comes up; I scroll to any & press Enter.
Same error message: "PROGRAM ERROR! PRESS ANY KEY TO EXIT"

This is confusing. Why won't these Wads from Master show up when using ZDoom? Be much easier.

Reply 16 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Doomit theres a menu at the top. One of those sets the path. Make sure the Doom, Doom 2, and wad paths are correct. For the wads I have it set to C. It then looks for them in C:\MASTER\WADS. I haven't been able to reproduce that me error so I'm guessing at the cause.

I'm more familiar with DoomsDay than with ZDoom. Does it have an addon manager or a folder to move addons to?

Reply 17 of 17, by Corey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the help everyone. I've decided not to worry about the Maximum & Master Levels, not a big loss to me. I'm able to play the maps from Ultimate, II & Final Doom; which is all I really wanted anyways.