VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're definitely going to have to register it within 16 hours, as per the links in the comments and the readme.txt .

As for installing, I think in the specific case of Paragon products offered through GAOTD, running the Setup program for the first time (which requires an Internet connection) will leave the .msi file somewhere where you can run it again whenever you want, without a connection.

Reply 23 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said, you have to download the zip, run setup.exe to get the .msi file, and get a registration code from the Paragon website. And you have about three hours left to do that now. 😀

I notice this version also contains the handy "P2V Copy" and "P2P Adjust OS" features, which are definitely not something I've seen outside of Paragon's products. (I don't think they work with Win9x, of course.)

Reply 24 of 27, by EmuLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd definitely go with Windows 98/98SE. It can be made to work just as well as ME as far as compatibility goes, and it can boot into 'true' DOS mode. It's like having Windows 9x, and DOS, all rolled into one. I consider it much better for a retro-gaming rig.

Reply 25 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least this is what we can do with 98SE:

MDGx's compilation of "ESSENTIAL FREE UPGRADES + FIXES"

source: http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE

(and his unofficial "Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2" just below that section)

If you really want to have the best of both (98SE's unhidden DOS and ME's newer system files), and are ready to go through non-standard installation procedure, you can try MDGx's Win98SE2ME tricks :

source: http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

Reply 27 of 27, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the personal experience:
1. I don't try Win98se + WinMe on the same partition.
2. No GPU drivers for anything after Rageon X850 or GeForce 6xxx.
3. No Hyper-threading is possible - in my case this is the cause for Catalyst hang.
4. No 512+ Mb RAM support. Run msconfig and check the box for this. Win98 don't even install with more then 512 Mb RAM (ramdrive was used for shrink the avaiable amount before install). There was the patch for this, but, AFAIR, it was shareware.
5. You need separate utility for large HDD partitioning and formatting - fdisk can't work with 32 Gb FAT32 volumes.
My opinion is - Me with boot patch (so now it have Win98 boot procedure and "reboot in msdos-mode" option). I just don't need 98se.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).