VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by unregistered

User metadata

Does this forum cover problems with games running under Win9x? (i.e. specifically, Windows 98SE.) Ever since I have cruised through this site most of the forums were related to Win ME, and especially 2000/NT/XP.

Also, they centered on running games via VDMSound and DOSBox. One more thing, I tried DOSBox under Win9x, works fine, but how 'bout VDMSound does it work with Win9x?

Reply 1 of 3, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

>but how 'bout VDMSound does it work with Win9x?

Well, see the thread in Vogons > VDMSound > Development > Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**
I just posted a message therein lately to report on my own "testing"

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The reason why little problems with games under win9x are discussed is that there aren't many problems with it.

The games were either designed for windows -> win98 so okay
Or the games were designed under DOS -> win98 runs on top of DOS so okay as well.

This is offcourse a simplification,but not a bad one 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, ditto for what Qbix said. Win9.x kerneled-oses are usually less problematic for running old games than NT-Kerneled ones. That's because they run on top of ms-dos (and still have huge chunks of 16-bit old code in them) and that's why there are more threads related to win200/xp than any Win9.x os. One other thing, many people have already make the jump to the win200/xp wagon so w98/98se/me are becoming rapidly obsolete and they usually have no official support anymore.