VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Running on an ASUS A7V333 - Athlon XP 1800 - GF4 Ti4200 - 512 MB DDR SDRM - WinXP Prof.

Although i have managed to run both versions of the game properly (ms-dos and windows), i would like to run the windows version full-screen. Is it possible?. Until then, i'm playing the ms-dos version using VDMSound. It works like a charm, using midi music and sb sounds/speech. It's such a shame ms-dos version work even better that its windows counterpart. 🤣!.

Things i tried:

+ Pressing ALT-ENTER. Nope.
+ Using compatibility modes. Nope.

Reply 3 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have already tested all compatibility options to no avail. I haven't tested setting my desktop resolution to 640x480 (manually - current 1024x768x16bpp) though, but i don't want to. I'll play the ms-dos version, then. 😁

Reply 4 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's nice to know that there is a DOS verion of the game. My origiinal CD contains only windows version.

I remember that it was not possible to run my game without that blue stripe at the top. Even screens in a paper games magazine contain the stripe (and that was win3.1). But as your CD seems to be newer (cause it contain DOS version) possibly there is a way...

BTW - Sierra was so "proud" of windows that the next game the made (Space Quest 6) was released only for DOS. 😉

Reply 7 of 14, by Sordid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How did you managed to play it under XP???

Installation runs well but the game won't start 🙁

(I've tried all compatibilty modes)

Update: I searched the forum and found somethiing about changing a filename. I'll try that...

Reply 8 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XP does not like the executable, SIERRAWS.EXE, that comes with some versions of the game earlier than version 2. It will run with the other executable on the CD, SIERRAW.EXE. Just change your shortcut to point to SIERRAW.EXE instead of SIERRAWS.EXE.

Last edited by collector on 2005-02-06, 02:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SIERRAWS is a win95 executable but WinXP is bullsh|t and it doesn't support it (the executable tries to access a 16 bit DLL and that's too much for XP to handle). 😀

Visit my site:

http://gkpatches.vogons.org

Reply 11 of 14, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Endroz, I'm not able to get to your site. Seems the DNS does not resolve here. I'll try again in a few days, DNS issues usually clear themselves up, or its an issue with my ISP. Damn Time Warner 😵

Reply 13 of 14, by Endroz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you for pointing this out, Reckless.

I take it some peoples are not able to access the Tokelau domain (.tk) in their countries.

Visit my site:

http://gkpatches.vogons.org

Reply 14 of 14, by Sordid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About your patches...

The Gabriel Knight 2 DVD maker doesn't work with the german version. unisci can't "combine" the files...

What can I do 'cause a dvd woulb be soooo cool...

Sorry, I know this is off topic but I don't know how to contact him without this board 🙁