VOGONS

Common searches

How to get Tomb Raider Unfinished Business to work successfully with sound

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by RocknRollTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anybody could help me to get Tomb Raider Unfinished Business to work successfully with sound, I miss having the sounds and music, and find it very disorientating especially when you don't know when enemies are going to attack you, I'm currently running DosBox on a Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S running Windows XP Media Center 2005.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

Last edited by RocknRollTim on 2020-08-17, 11:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RocknRollTim wrote:

I was wondering whether anybody could help me to get Tomb Raider Unfinished Business to work successfully with sound, I miss having the sounds and music, and find it very disorientating especially when you don't know when enemies are going to attack you, I'm currently running DosBox on a Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S running Windows XP Media Center 2005.

I don't know if you still need help, but you might be interested in these sites;

http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/TR1install.html
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1.html

Reply 8 of 13, by RocknRollTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I know this is a really old post but I recently managed to get Tomb Raider Unfinished Business by using the commands below in DosBox. The commands below are to first install and setup from Tomb Raider Disc 1 and not from Tomb Raider Unfinished Business Disc 2.

Z:>mount c c:\dosgames
Z:>mount d d:\ -t cdrom
Z:>D:
D:>dir
D:>install.bat

Went all through the setup like I used to in Windows 98SE i.e. installing the game to C:\TOMBRAID which places this directory in C:\dosgames and configured the SoundBlaster16 VDM driver as the default sound driver and launching the game with both music and sound effects working.

Once I got this to work, I exited both the game and DosBox, re-opened DosBox and performed the commands below to install and setup Tomb Raider Unfinished Business.

Z:>D:
D:>dir
D:>instr.bat

Went all through the setup like I used to in Windows 98SE i.e. installing the game to C:\TOMBRAID which places this directory in C:\dosgames and configured the SoundBlaster16 VDM driver as the default sound driver and launching the game with both music and sound effects working. The only I couldn't get to install from this disc was to install the Tomb Raider Unfinished Business Accessories but I can probably find to install these at a later date.

Once I got this to work, I exited both the game and DosBox, re-opened DosBox and performed the commands below to play Tomb Raider, I could have entered tomb.exe at C:\TOMBRAID but didn't know you could do this at the time.

Z:>C:
C:>cd tombraid
C:\TOMBRAID>dir
C:\TOMBRAID>tomb.exe

To play Tomb Raider Unfinished Business, switch the discs after exiting the game and either enter tombub.exe at C:\TOMBRAID or come out of DosBox, re-open DosBox and enter the commands below.

Z:>C:
C:>cd tombraid
C:\TOMBRAID>dir
C:\TOMBRAID>tombub.exe

I haven't recently got Tomb Raider Unfinished Business to work in Glidos and gave up on it awhile back but have considered to try again to see how far I can get, however I definitely know you can't many DOS games to work using Compatibility Mode in OSs after XP. The same concept applies to pretty much any DOS game in DosBox using CDs, however with .cue files you need to mount them using the following command Z:>imgmount d c:\images\tombeng.cue -t iso instead of Z:>mount d d:\ -t cdrom, drive for mounting CDs and .cue files should be set as D as the install .bat files point to this location by default, you probably could amend the install.bat files to point to another drive letter instead of the default D but this isn't recommended though. Also make sure you place -t before cdrom or iso otherwise DosBox won't allow you to execute the install .bat files as it needs to find MSCDEX before initiating them.

Anyway I thought I would let you know how I got on though.

Regards,

RocknRollTim

Reply 9 of 13, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RocknRollTim wrote:

I know this is a really old post but I recently managed to get Tomb Raider Unfinished Business by using the commands below in DosBox.

Not to try and top your post, but a while back I decided to see if I could get Tomb Raider & Unfinished Business working in DOSBox. I not only wanted to get both games fully working, but also to be able to play the Glide versions.

I had a little trouble at first, but I eventually got both working in the Daum SVN version of DOSBox using a Glide wrapper.

I created a sub-directoy called Core and mounted that as C:, then I installed both games. I added the Power VR patched executables and added the files for a Glide Wrapper to the directory. After this the games worked in both software and Glide mode. I wasn't finished though...

I ripped just the data tracks from each disc to BIN/CUE files, then I ripped the audio tracks from the Tomb Raider disc to MP3 files and added them to the CUE file. The official DOSBox only allows you to use OGG files for audio, but the Daum SVN version allows MP3, which greatly reduces the file size. I then mounted the BIN/CUE files as the CD-ROMs so that I wouldn't need the actual disks in the drive.

I created a batch file that lets you switch between four different Glide wrappers, NGlide, OpenGlide, dgvoodoo 1.5 and dgvoodoo 2.3. This is because they all have quirks. NGlide seems to have a lot of visible seams. OpenGlide seemed to work great until I got to one area and I was able to see the statues through the walls of the alcoves that they were in. dgvoodoo 2.3 seemed to work the best when I tried it on a friend's system, but since it requires DirectX10, I can't use it. So I settled on using dgvoodoo 1.5. Occasionally, you can see pickup items on top of pillars and using the Look key sometimes has white outlines around things, but nothing that really affects the game. It then calls DOSBox to run the games, but before doing so, it installs a small program that disables the Windows key. It does this because if you press the Windows key while in fullscreen Glide mode, it will switch back to a window and then you can't switch back without closing it and running it again.

I then created a menu in the DOSBox CONF file for the game which lets you select the software or Glide versions of each game and also to run the setup program.

Since I also put a copy of DOSBox in the directory with it, this gives me a completely self-contained, portable installation of both Tomb Raider and Unfinished Business where you can select between four different wrappers when starting it, and then choose to run the software or Glide versions of either game. All total, it's about 300MB.

I was playing through the game again in Glide mode, but stopped during the first Atlantis level. I haven't felt like going back to it yet. Other than some minor graphical glitches related to the various Glide wrappers, the game works flawlessly.

I want to modify it though. I downloaded the advanced TR installer, which includes a CD image with the Playstation audio tracks and a patched executable to use them. At some point, I want to rip those tracks and modify my DOSBox menu to optionally allow you to play the game with the extra audio tracks. My goal is to create the best version of Tomb Raider/Unfinished Business possible without using Glidos. I'm sort of the DIY type and I like being able to customize it exactly the way that I want. Then I can simply compress the entire directory with Rar and archive it. If I ever want to play it again, I can just unpack the file and it's ready to go.

Back when I originally did this, I was going to type up a detailed guide for how to recreate my installation from an original disc, but I got halfway through the first page when I realized that absolutely nobody would ever follow those instructions as long as an all-in-one installer exists. So I gave up and just point people to the advanced TR installer.

Reply 10 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rekrul wrote:

I created a batch file that lets you switch between four different Glide wrappers, NGlide, OpenGlide, dgvoodoo 1.5 and dgvoodoo 2.3. This is because they all have quirks. NGlide seems to have a lot of visible seams. OpenGlide seemed to work great until I got to one area and I was able to see the statues through the walls of the alcoves that they were in. dgvoodoo 2.3 seemed to work the best when I tried it on a friend's system, but since it requires DirectX10, I can't use it.

You know two of those wrappers are still quasi-actively supported, right? Did you tell Zeus of nGlide about your Tomb Raider issue? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 13, by RocknRollTim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rekrul wrote:
Not to try and top your post, but a while back I decided to see if I could get Tomb Raider & Unfinished Business working in DOSB […]
Show full quote
RocknRollTim wrote:

I know this is a really old post but I recently managed to get Tomb Raider Unfinished Business by using the commands below in DosBox.

Not to try and top your post, but a while back I decided to see if I could get Tomb Raider & Unfinished Business working in DOSBox. I not only wanted to get both games fully working, but also to be able to play the Glide versions.

I had a little trouble at first, but I eventually got both working in the Daum SVN version of DOSBox using a Glide wrapper.

I created a sub-directoy called Core and mounted that as C:, then I installed both games. I added the Power VR patched executables and added the files for a Glide Wrapper to the directory. After this the games worked in both software and Glide mode. I wasn't finished though...

I ripped just the data tracks from each disc to BIN/CUE files, then I ripped the audio tracks from the Tomb Raider disc to MP3 files and added them to the CUE file. The official DOSBox only allows you to use OGG files for audio, but the Daum SVN version allows MP3, which greatly reduces the file size. I then mounted the BIN/CUE files as the CD-ROMs so that I wouldn't need the actual disks in the drive.

I created a batch file that lets you switch between four different Glide wrappers, NGlide, OpenGlide, dgvoodoo 1.5 and dgvoodoo 2.3. This is because they all have quirks. NGlide seems to have a lot of visible seams. OpenGlide seemed to work great until I got to one area and I was able to see the statues through the walls of the alcoves that they were in. dgvoodoo 2.3 seemed to work the best when I tried it on a friend's system, but since it requires DirectX10, I can't use it. So I settled on using dgvoodoo 1.5. Occasionally, you can see pickup items on top of pillars and using the Look key sometimes has white outlines around things, but nothing that really affects the game. It then calls DOSBox to run the games, but before doing so, it installs a small program that disables the Windows key. It does this because if you press the Windows key while in fullscreen Glide mode, it will switch back to a window and then you can't switch back without closing it and running it again.

I then created a menu in the DOSBox CONF file for the game which lets you select the software or Glide versions of each game and also to run the setup program.

Since I also put a copy of DOSBox in the directory with it, this gives me a completely self-contained, portable installation of both Tomb Raider and Unfinished Business where you can select between four different wrappers when starting it, and then choose to run the software or Glide versions of either game. All total, it's about 300MB.

I was playing through the game again in Glide mode, but stopped during the first Atlantis level. I haven't felt like going back to it yet. Other than some minor graphical glitches related to the various Glide wrappers, the game works flawlessly.

I want to modify it though. I downloaded the advanced TR installer, which includes a CD image with the Playstation audio tracks and a patched executable to use them. At some point, I want to rip those tracks and modify my DOSBox menu to optionally allow you to play the game with the extra audio tracks. My goal is to create the best version of Tomb Raider/Unfinished Business possible without using Glidos. I'm sort of the DIY type and I like being able to customize it exactly the way that I want. Then I can simply compress the entire directory with Rar and archive it. If I ever want to play it again, I can just unpack the file and it's ready to go.

Back when I originally did this, I was going to type up a detailed guide for how to recreate my installation from an original disc, but I got halfway through the first page when I realized that absolutely nobody would ever follow those instructions as long as an all-in-one installer exists. So I gave up and just point people to the advanced TR installer.

Hi Rekrul,

Thank you for sharing this information, I'll be interested in following your guide once you have finished composing it as I would like to try it myself. Do I require the unlocked version of Glidos? I don't mind you topping my post as I like people suggesting alternatives that are more efficient than mine.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

Reply 12 of 13, by L1nK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went all through the setup like I used to in Windows 98SE i.e. installing the game to C:\TOMBRAID which places this directory in C:\dosgames and configured the SoundBlaster16 VDM driver as the default sound driver and launching the game with both music and sound effects working.

can someone please explain this workaround with sb16vdm as the default sound driver, i'm having issues configuring original tomb raider gold installation in dosbox-x and other forks too, no fmv's and music, sfx work. I know there are other posibilities and patches and options to buy digital rereleases but i'm very interested how to make this work out of the box with original retail discs.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please, take a hint. We do not allow questions about getting illegal downloads to work here. Necro opening ages old threads is not a good thing as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper