Common searches

Do these Windows Glide games exist?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 65, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Pod: I have Pod 2.0, Pod: Extended Time (aka Pod: Back to Hell) and Pod Gold.
Pod 2.0 (the in-game version is 2.100) is glide 2.1.1 game (uses glide.dll and sst1init.dll), but can be patched to Pod Gold (version 2.280), which is using glide2x.dll.
Pod: Extended Time is the pack of the patches, cars, tracks etc for the Pod 2.0.
I don't have the original release of Pod (1.x) but there is the 1.x->2.100 patch for this game. So, technically, any version of the Pod is the glide API game.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 41 of 65, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the POD 1.x release and I can confirm it is patchable to 2.1. With the patch you can run it with glide.

Can also add that Dungeon Keeper in the list is Direct3D.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 42 of 65, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

* Formula One 2 - no idea what this is still!
This could be a misspelling of
Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=19094&tab=review

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 44 of 65, by jclampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I too have been looking into old glide games since I have recently completed building an old machine that appears to be working perfectly at the moment.

I am really confused on whether Moto Racer (1) has glide support though. I own the original retail release and it is definately Direct3D only.

But I have read others online mention glide support and have now just seen this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Racer-Motorcycle … d-/110345149360

Now, I don't know what to think...

Reply 47 of 65, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider 3 should be Direct3D only. (They definitely can use Direct3D, I can't remember anything about a 3Dfx option, and I can't find any references on the web either.)

About the nGlide list: I understand why there OpenGL games on that list, especially those which run with a 3Dfx MiniGL, but I wouldn't include them on a "Windows Glide games" list since they don't support Glide themselves.

(BTW, would it make sense to extend Mobygames to include information about other 3D APIs? Of course Glide is the most common one and about the only one that can be emulated.)

leileilol wrote:

Terminal Velocity is S3D

And a DOS game.

Stiletto wrote:

Can we always trust expansion packs for any game to retain support by coming with the 3D-accelerator specific executable, or a patch available for the expansion pack?

That's probably not true in general. Take eg. Tomb Raider 1. (DOS game so not on this list.)
There are quite a few different patches for it (Voodoo1, Voodoo Rush, Matrox Mystique, S3 ViRGE, PowerVR, ATI CIF, Rendition), but for the "Unfinished Business" add-on there are only patches for 3Dfx and PowerVR.

Reply 48 of 65, by VoodooFX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for coming late to the party, but I have some info on one of the games from your list, namely Tex Murphy - Overseer.

Game has no Glide support, you can only use 3dfx through DirectX 5, as seen in the picture.

252f862a-553f-4c62-a0e7-65fa85411e3e.jpg

Also here is an excerpt from patch readme file:

Version 1.01:
1. Added support for Direct 3D compatible 3D accelerator video cards. We have
tested each of the following cards:

nVidia Riva 128 based cards, AGP & PCI
Matrox Mystique 220
Rendition V1000 & V2100 - Diamond Stealth II 220
3Dfx based cards, Voodoo I and Voodoo II
ATI 3D Expression & Rage Pro, AGP & PCI
S3 Virge GX2 based cards - Diamond Stealth 3D 4000
Cirrus Logic 54xx based cards
Intel 740 based cards
Rendition Verite 1000

We may have years, we may have hours but sooner or later we all push up flowers.

Reply 55 of 65, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jclampy wrote:
I am really confused on whether Moto Racer (1) has glide support though. I own the original retail release and it is definately […]
Show full quote

I am really confused on whether Moto Racer (1) has glide support though. I own the original retail release and it is definately Direct3D only.

But I have read others online mention glide support and have now just seen this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Racer-Motorcycle … d-/110345149360

Now, I don't know what to think...

Davros wrote:

some games had the 3dfx logo on them, just meant it supported them via d3d, not that they were glide or 3dfx exclusive

Ressurected 😀
Having recently built a win98-3dfx pc I started looking around for my old windows-only 3dfx games. Do we have any new info on Motoracer 1 (1997)? I am absolutely sure that a 3dfx card I've bought back then was bundling it together with the card, that's how I got into the game. I am also positive that it looked differently when played later on a geforce. Unfortunately I have no clue nowadays about the card's brand and searching about the game lead to all these contradictory information. It seems there isn't any definitive answer. Is it really possible for a game bundled with a 3dfx card not to be a glide game? I tend to believe (based on my personal experience and nothing else) that there was some special glide-capable version of it, not widely available.

btw, since I'll be exploring 3dfx stuff in the following period I'll try to come up with some answers concerning games on the list, maybe we could further narrow it down if there is still any interest.

Reply 56 of 65, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Moto Racer was bundled as trial version with the Orchid Righteous (later editions), most likely came with other cards as well. All versions as far as I know are Direct3D.

Yes, it is possible for a game to bundled with a 3DFX card and be Direct3D. There are several examples of this, like Hellbender, Monster Truck Madness, Hyperblade, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, Sega Rally Championship, etc etc

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 57 of 65, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for the answer. This certainly gives a new perspective. Maybe this is the reason why many people believe that there is a glide version of this game, even though nobody has ever seen it. Having it bundled with a 3dfx card back then, at least in my mind, rendered it automatically a 3dfx game 😀

Reply 58 of 65, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone says Tonic trouble glide version has been bundled at some time, in some countries with at least 2 cards: Diamond monster 2 and Maxi gamer phoenix banshee. However another page says the version bundled with the phoenix banshee is the "special edition" (beta?) one, that is d3d too. So it's a mess.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 59 of 65, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Myloch wrote:

Someone says Tonic trouble glide version has been bundled at some time, in some countries with at least 2 cards: Diamond monster 2 and Maxi gamer phoenix banshee. However another page says the version bundled with the phoenix banshee is the "special edition" (beta?) one, that is d3d too. So it's a mess.

For a long time I thought that there was no Glide version of Tonic Trouble, but I was wrong. I found a scene release containing a Glide version of the Special Edition (and I uploaded it minus cracktro to archive.org). Works fine with dgVoodoo, but not with nGlide. I reckon the source of this is from one of these two cards (probably the Diamond card as the Maxi Gamer disc is known to contain a D3D version). There are many versions of the Special Edition bundled with various devices, but most are Direct3D.

There's also the question of the retail release, which in Europe only supported Direct3D. The *original* US version has never been uploaded and no one has sold it for years, but the box has the 3dfx logo on, making me think that maybe that version does support Glide.