User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

What about Intel RSX? 😜

What about it? 😁

Mr.Blade wrote:

If you like "The Nomad Soul", take a look at "Indigo Prohecy" and "Heavy Rain" - they are all from the same developer (Quantic Dream) and the same game designer (David Cage).

Is there a PC release of Heavy Rain? I thought it was PS3 only.

Reply 22 of 29, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

eh... it's not about "like", I just don't own one -- but my brother has a PS3 he rarely uses, maybe i'll borrow it sometime 😅

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 23 of 29, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

eh... it's not about "like", I just don't own one -- but my brother has a PS3 he rarely uses, maybe i'll borrow it sometime 😅

I purchased my PS3 years ago as it was then the cheapest BluRay player out there and hey, it was also a gaming console 😉

I use mine primarily as a BluRay player but have a few racing games that play and look great like Burnout Paradise for instance.

I do not have Heavy Rain, looks interesting but I would still rather have it on the PC, may never happen as the trend toward exclusives is pretty bad right now 🙁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 24 of 29, by Mr.Blade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use mine primarily as a BluRay player but have a few racing games that play and look great like Burnout Paradise for instance.

Exactly the same here! 😀

Banner01_Small.jpg

Reply 27 of 29, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At first there were 2D graphics, and depth was no use.
Then Z-axis popped out and suddenly people wondered how to solve the visibility problem. The region of memory where you store object's depth information is the Z-buffer.
This information can be more or less precise, and this is why there are 16, 24 and 32 bit buffers (and actually many other variants, but that's another story)
Today the standard is 24+8 stencil buffer. And this is why the later was dumped in early 2000s and the former is now in an agonizing situation.

Ok, after this creepy introduction I can start talking of my findings, that mainly focus on ATI cards, but aren't all that different even for nvidia ones.
Everything started to fall apart with driver 7.5, which first broke dithering used by 16 bit games to counter the lower precision.
Later another blow seems to have come with 7.12.
An excerpt from one of the AMD forums moderator claims it was even due to lack of support in the newer hardware itself.
Unfortunately the original thread (whose title can be seen here) is no longer available for viewing, along with many many other useful references of those times that have been purged some months ago from their updated boards.
Google still seems to keep some sort of memory, but I can't access it.

In the meantime, I found some really accurate (and complementary) explanations of the broken functionalities.
Another allegedly malfunctioning one should be 8 bit Palletized Texture support.

Fast forward to our times ultimately, 16 bit Zbuffer is still nonworking.
A lot of fixes around the net suggest to use a different atiumdag.dll, which I did unsuccessfully until catalyst 9.8 one, the older that doesn't throw an error on my 7x64 SP1 with HD5770.
Then others assert that is has even been already fixed..

But tl;dr I could only get 2 things to work with Omikron (aside of its specific injector): DXWnd Clean ZBUFFER @0.0 fix and dgvoodoo.

Unless somebody come out with something that merge the previously underlined stuff (the main course of this post tbh) these are the only general solutions.
EDIT: tested on a GTX 680 and.. well, even if sometimes it wasn't running at 144 steady FPS in all its power, it had no glitches at least. Kudos to them.
EDIT2: this might help? EDIT3: see probably here

Attachments

• Filename
    Omikron-NoCdAtiFix.rar
    File size
    390.02 KiB
    Downloads
    99 downloads
    File comment
    http://www.old-games.ru/game/download/680.html
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    MSTS_AMD_BUGFIX.exe
    File size
    29.24 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File comment
    http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?322502-Will-Windows-10-support-AMD-graphic-card-in-MSTS/page2#post1876141
    File license
  • Filename
    CrimsonSkiesFixWin7.zip
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Downloads
    102 downloads
    File comment
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1inr2w/does_anyone_here_remember_crimson_skies_i_just/
    File license
Last edited by mirh on 2018-10-06, 10:24. Edited 2 times in total.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 29 of 29, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

Just remembered 3D-Analyze has a force 24bit z-buffer and a force 16bit z-buffer option
have you tried it ?

I just tried it.
Even though it seems awesome with all those option, I couldn't make anyone work.

EDIT: could this also affect Far Cry?

pcgamingwiki.com