VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've posted my extensive research into older games, to determine exactly when Nvidia broke support of earlier versions of DirectX. The sweet spot (if your card supports it) seems to be driver set 260.99.

Read my full findings here, and contribute if you can. I've also submitted it to Nvidia. Once in the past my continual resubmitting of bugs got them to fix the slow-down-then-lockup bug with transparencies in older games, but I'm not holding out as much hope this time!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/5431 … -earlier-games/

Reply 1 of 18, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NVidia users are happy peoples... You have the choice "use old drivers"...
ATi videocards w/o the fixed pipeline (Radeon HD) were always broken in old games. Even with the Catalyst 7.5.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this would be an interesting read, I have a 98SE build with a 6800GT , might get a better driver installed 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting - I just happen to be running 260.99 on my GTX260. It's what I installed when I bought the card and never had a reason to upgrade it.
I guess I haven't tried running any DX6 or older games on this machine.

Reply 5 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

works works broken BreakNeck

what does "works works broken" mean ?

just not formatted table (ignore the dots):

260.99....285.58....307.74+.....Game:
works.....works......broken.......ABC Sports Indy Racing

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah sorry, the Nvidia forums (and when emailing them) messed up the tabbed layout.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 8 of 18, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason I have a Linux box as I have found that quite a lot of these games actually work in Wine still with latest nvidia drivers in Linux

Reply 9 of 18, by Butterman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had GF8400 and installed steam and microvolts. latest nvidia drivers. microvolts froze/crash after 1-5 minutes of multiplayer. I started 1nsaneDemo and 25-50% of the screen was big black box fluttering hiding either the car or the landscape. This had never happened before so i started rolling back to older nvidia drivers but couldnt get 1nsane to play without insane graphic errors. I removed GF8400 and installed older GF5200 nvidia169.51 and 1nsaneDemo worked like normal. I started steam/microvolts and could play it as smooth as butter for however long i wanted no freeze/crash after 1-5 minutes. 1 week later microvolts wont start like it suddenly realized i changed to older card then required. I call bullshit on those requirements. They put a filter to force players to buy newer cards. Cant have no olde card moochers play4free all their lives. Bullshit.
edit: i removed the msi gfx 5200 nd put the msi gf8400 gs back in but did not update the drivers to any forceware. Driver is what win xp pro had on tap, 6.14.11.9107. and 1nsane demo works fine and so does microvolts, So lesson for me again: Do not update to latest forceware driver turd.

Reply 11 of 18, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think 1nsane has a Glide 3Dfx mode, so that might be how it works on GOG, via nGlide perhaps.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 12 of 18, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I think 1nsane has a Glide 3Dfx mode, so that might be how it works on GOG, via nGlide perhaps.

Glide mode with nGlide is very slow in this game, unfortunately.

Reply 13 of 18, by spcor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
just not formatted table (ignore the dots): […]
Show full quote
Davros wrote:

works works broken BreakNeck

what does "works works broken" mean ?

just not formatted table (ignore the dots):

260.99....285.58....307.74+.....Game:
works.....works......broken.......ABC Sports Indy Racing

You can post in MEGA or MediaFire download link of this game,please?

Reply 14 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This is not a file sharing forum. Please keep Warez requests to yourself.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 18, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some of your issues may be due to WinXP. I have the latest nVidia drivers on my GT430 running in Windows 7 x64, and the following work fine:

Caramageddon II
Colin McRae Rally I
Incoming (GOG version)
Moto Racer 2 (GOG version)
Rollcage
Snowmobile Championship 2000

I may have issues with Motorhead (runs, but with graphical glitches), but I'll have to check that one. For the most part, though, all the games I have that are in your list work fine on my system. The GOG versions may have been patched, but the others are original retail releases.

EDIT: Motorhead graphics are fine, but the sound has issues and it eventually locks up.

Last edited by David_OSU on 2017-09-07, 16:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 18, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I've posted my extensive research into older games, to determine exactly when Nvidia broke support of earlier versions of DirectX. The sweet spot (if your card supports it) seems to be driver set 260.99.

Read my full findings here, and contribute if you can. I've also submitted it to Nvidia. Once in the past my continual resubmitting of bugs got them to fix the slow-down-then-lockup bug with transparencies in older games, but I'm not holding out as much hope this time!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/5431 … -earlier-games/

On Windows XP what I could test:
2 digits drivers (up to 9x.xx): Work fine
Any 1xx.xx driver: Broken (slow-down-then-lockup bug with transparencies)
25x.xx up to 26x.xx: Work fine
27x.xx and up: Work with glitches.

I moved to Win7 when 28x.xx came out so I could never test those and newer ones.

Reply 18 of 18, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently gone back to using Windows XP, as quite a few games don't work properly under Windows 7 or later (Undercover Operation Wintersun, Deadly Dozen etc). The last time I used WIndows XP, I had a Nvidia GTX 560TI and was using Nvidia 270 drivers, and all my games worked fine. Now I have a GTX 770 with Nvidia 361.80 drivers and most of the games that worked before are now broke. So it looks like you are right about newer Nvidia drivers being broke and no longer working. Damn you Nvidia. 🙁

Even though I'm mostly into retro gaming these days, I keep meaning to upgrade my GTX 770, but none of the newer graphics cards support Windows XP any longer, so it looks like if I want a new graphics card, I'm going to have to build up another PC for newer games.