VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so I've got an old PIII I like to use for old gamin', but I would also like to have XP, or atleast 2K, on it in a dualboot with 98 because I'm weird that way. The specs are outlined below.
PIII 933mhz
440BX based motherboard, PCI/ISA/AGP. Unable to find exact model.
Geforce 2 MX440 AGP
2x Voodoo 2 in SLI
PCI Ethernet Card
AWE64 Gold ISA
512mb SDRAM, 133mhz

The problem is that with 2K the GF2 refuses to properly init, giving me an cannot load device drivers error- unless I uninstall the two (unrecognized) voodoo 2 cards. Then it works- untill I restart, and the OS re-detects them. For XP it simply won't boot unless in safe mode, I assume because it's trying to init SVGA but is unable to for whatever reason. I've tried this with other AGP card and I get the same problems. Is there any solution here?

What I have tried:
Removing a voodoo 2. This allows the GF2 to init but man, I really want SLI, plus it works on 98SE so what gives?
Playing with the BIOS. Lowering the clock speed, messing with PCI/AGP init, AGP aperture size, and shadowing did nothing.

I hope here of all places I can find help for my dumb problem, I fully realize how dumb it is to want to dual boot 2K/XP on this sytem- I want to do it anyway!

Reply 1 of 1, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay I've got the GF2 to init after I switched the Voodoo 2 cards in the slots, which is weird but whatever I'll take it. The voodoo 2 cards now refuse to work under 2k, but work fine on 9x. I tried disabling and uninstaling one, leaving only one v2 in control panel, that didn't work. Ugh