VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this board and need advice on how to run an oldschool game which I consider to be one of the best games ever created which is the japanese PowerVR version of Resident Evil in this case named Biohazard.

I bought a copy from japan which came used but in very mint conditions, only downside is I found out it requires a PowerVR GPU to run and only runs on SGL which is a shock since I can run the UK and US version of Resident Evil PC even on my gaming PC on Windows 7 64 Bit (with some tweaks and framelocks as it has speedup issues).

Unfortunately I cant seem to get Biohazard PowerVR working :'[ I got advice from a fellow youtuber who is specialized in Vintage PCs and he said to me the only way to get this relic working is by using an oldschool PowerVR card like

1. Apocalypse 3D (PCX1)
2. Apocalypse 3Dx (PCX2)
3. Matrox M3D (PCX2)
4. Neon 250
5. Apocalypse 5D

I tried to hunt them down but they can't be found anywhere not even on Ebay which is such a disappointment since I really want to get this game up and running to make a youtube video on how to do it for everyone.
So my question is, has anybody experience with this game or managed to get it up and running and does anybody have a link on where to find one of the cards listed above ?

cheers,

Reply 1 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They'll turn up eventually. It's not really a rare card. I'd imagine the Apocalypse series would be more available within the UK and the Matrox in the Americas.

Forget about the Neon250, that's even more scarce and might not even be compatible (or even better - it won't introduce new blend modes for plain SGL). We don't know that because we don't have it because we can't get it 😀

Also another thing, these PowerVR cards only function in Windows 9x.

and finally the PowerVR KYRO series doesn't support SGL so don't bother with those as an option.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, I'm here as well. As leileilol says, just keep an eye out on Ebay.co.uk, .com and .de. I've seen the Matrox M3D many more times over the Apocalypse.

There isn't so much more to say than to acquire the card, install the drivers and install the game. I had no problems running it.

Wish I could sell you my Matrox M3D, but I recently sold the spare card I had to Squallstrife here on Vogons since he was dying to play the PowerVR version of Mechwarrior 2 (another benefit on the PowerVR card) 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey 😁 cool is it you RetroCompaqGuy ? I googled some cards and came across this board and saw that there are a lot of people in here that actually know what they are talking about. Its good to hear that those cards aren't that rare as I thought they are like nowhere to be found nowadays, its such a shame that everything was customtailored back in the days and isn't compatible with mainstream cards, even thou I did read some articles that PowerVR is still making successful CPUs for mobile phones.
Anyway I will come back once I gathered some parts and will release some youtube vids on how to run this badass game 😁

Reply 5 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so in essence PowerVR was better than Direct3D with the first games that were released back in 1996 like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil ? Well Biohazard or the UK uncut PowerVR editions seem to be made specific for the PowerVR chip and SGL, I wonder is it really impossible to run PowerVR games on Kryos GPUs as it says on them that it supports PowerVR but maybe I am confusing stuff here 🤣 Also I saw that Biohazard/Resident Evil PowerVR runs at 800x600 and the normal Direct3D version at 640x480 wow that resolution hurts my eyes.

Reply 6 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I mentioned, KYRO doesn't support the PowerVR SGL API. It is a standard Direct3D/OpenGL card much like a TNT2 and it serves as a sort of "reboot" for PowerVR itself. (and a failed one at that, which led them to conquer the mobile market instead 🤣)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 45, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You seem to have this release: http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/lostreleases/ … ame_re1-pc-jpn1

According to that site there are other japanese releases which do support Direct3D:
http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/lostreleases/ … egame/index.php

I'd say try one of the other releases before you hunt for a PowerVR card (in which case don't forget that a PCX1 doesn't do bilinear filtering), but I understand that it's probably rather difficult getting those Japanese releases in the first place (at least legally).

Reply 9 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

heya,

yes thats the one I have even thou it only came in the jewel case only no big box but in very mint conditions.

Here is a picture I have taken

IMG_0616_zps6b5b509d.jpg

Actually its not that hard to get it directly from japan all you need is a credit card thats about it, shipping should take around 4-5 days at least thats how fast I got it and I live in romania. The thing about Biohazard 1 is that its actually easier to get legally than pirated (at least for me I wasnt able to find a working iso online) which I understand since people probably gave up trying after they found out it only runs on PowerVr chips xD

Anyway about the other version of BH or Resident Evil, the other one runs on Direct 3D at least the UK version and the uncut german/us version do. I played those and those you can run even on high end PCs on Windows 7 64 bit but I advice to lock the framerate with an opensource program called dxwnd to 15 FPS and run it in Win95 compatibility mode. Here is a speedrun of the uncut US version of Resident Evil and this was done on a high end PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi8iQPngzTg

in case you wonder how the hell is it HQ and in 1080p well I disabled the aspect ratio of the raw video file in Sony Vegas and upscaled the video up to 1080p as this game only runs at the max resolution of 640x480. And dont even try to record with FRAPS as it wont work 🙁 this was recorded with Bandicam.

Reply 10 of 45, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can just record from the VGA Out with some dedicated hardware.

BTW, anyone knows if this is a uncut version?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first Biohazard was uncut. I don't see why this version shouldn't be either.

AlucarD86 wrote:

in case you wonder how the hell is it HQ and in 1080p well I disabled the aspect ratio of the raw video file in Sony Vegas and upscaled the video up to 1080p as this game only runs at the max resolution of 640x480. And dont even try to record with FRAPS as it wont work 🙁 this was recorded with Bandicam.

You do not gain anything by doing this other than a stretched ugly mess.

Reply 12 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW, anyone knows if this is a uncut version?

wow thats a rare version I never saw that before I assume it must be the asian version or japanese version which is always uncut (everything labeled Biohazard is uncut as far as I know), its actually easy to tell as the uncut version has the intro in color and it shows Chris smoking and also has Kenneths decapitation (put the disc into your DVD drive and go to the video folder on your disc and watch the videos with the VLC player, if the intro is in color its always the uncut version). All japanese versions of Biohazard, the US, UK PowerVR and german version of Resident Evil are uncut only the UK non powerVR version has the intro in black and white and has all the above censored.

Here a comparison to clear confusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlHE-g5UAU

this game came in a time where violence in video games was a serious issue I guess and therefor it was censored in europe, you should see what a mess Resident Evil 3 ended up after the censoring 🤣 As far as I know RE2 got away surprisingly untouched and is uncut available on pretty much every platform out there.

You do not gain anything by doing this other than a stretched ugly mess.

yup thats unfortunately true, man I just wish capcom would finally remaster its whole RE trilogy in HD, thats what fans want but the Gamecube version of REmake is pretty awesome and considered to be the best RE in the series, so there is that 😁

Reply 14 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay so after my long quest to finally play my PowerVR copy of BioHazard PowerVR PC I managed to find the Matrox m3D !!! And I also had some time to test it on a Win98 SE PC but weirdly enough even thou the resolution and the speed are much better than its Direct 3D versions I have weird scanlines ingame using the Matrox m3D, is it maybe because I used a Geforce 440 MX SE 32MB as a primary GPU and the M3D doesnt like Geforces 4 in tandem ? Anyway I put some screens in here to show you the scanlines, they are really annoying, does anyone know a card which runs this game clear or did anyone who tested this game encountered similar scanlines while testing it with the m3D ? And for people who can play it nice and clear, what primary GPU do you use ? Cheers !

Look at the floor and the wall in the dinning room, there are fine visible scanlines

BioHazard_PowerVR_on_MatroxM3D_and_Nvidia_440MX_SE_onWin98SE_zps5286daa9.png

I was running this on Windows 98 SE on a Geforce 440MX SE 32MB and a Matrox m3D !

BioHazard_PowerVR_on_MatroxM3D_and_Nvidia_440MX_SE_onWin98SE_3_zps45d2bd06.png

Here is the screen with the Matrox m3D enabled and its drivers, you can see the walls are scanlined

BioHazard_PowerVR_on_MatroxM3D_and_Nvidia_440MX_SE_onWin98SE_2_zpsf5ccf0e0.png

anyone has some clues if this is caused by the Geforce 440 MX because unfortunately I didnt have another card to test it on, any feedback on this would be great !

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 15 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scanlines? My best guess is that it's a dithering pattern and just how this PowerVR version looks. Especially since it's obviously only ingame and not on the whole desktop. The only way to get rid of it would be if the game offered an option for 24-bit color or you could force it through the driver/some other application.

Reply 16 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah weird stuff I also installed the Direct 3D version of RE1 (that one is capped at a lower resolution and has worse shadows than the PowerVR version I could compare now) and that one did run clean off the GF 440MX so my best bet is that I need an alternative card like one of the voodoos 2 or 3 in tandem with the m3D 😒

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 17 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason you see these patterns so clearly is that you're playing it on an LCD. It'd be pretty much unnoticeable on a CRT from back in the day. That goes especially for the Playstation, where the resolution is a lot lower and the dithering patterns far more uniform.

Reply 18 of 45, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes now that you mention it, I only have LCDs around 😒 and the one I tested it on was a widescreen 18.5 inch one, I also put it on a normal LCD 19 inch which had the resolution of 1024 × 768 and still the lines 😒 I remember those games, especially games with fixed angles like Resident Evil series or FInal Fantasy 7 which had pre-rendered backgrounds because that was a technical limitation of the Playstation I think, but I have to ask Comaq Guy I have no idea how he pulled this here off with his PowerVR resident evil 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LVfam6w1o

Reply 19 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pulled off what? It looks identical to your screenshots. Stop worrying about it and play the damn game, it's a pretty rare version after all 😀 (personally I tried to get into this game so many times and always failed due to the controls, someday I'll have to give it a proper go...)