There is :) […]
Show full quote

There is 😀

https://www.indirectsound.com/downloads.html

Version 0.20 — 2019-09-21
Changes since the previous version:

Fix how Doppler Factor is used
This fixes the bad engine revving sounds in Drome Racers
This also correctly constrains the amount of frequency change that can happen as a result of Doppler calculations
Fix buffer description copies for old versions of DirectSound
IndirectSound had assumed that buffer descriptions were always the same size as DirectSound 7 or later

Ah, thanks!

Reply 162 of 228, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KainXVIII wrote on 2019-10-02, 09:26:
lowenz wrote:
There is :) […]
Show full quote

There is 😀

https://www.indirectsound.com/downloads.html

Version 0.20 — 2019-09-21
Changes since the previous version:

Fix how Doppler Factor is used
This fixes the bad engine revving sounds in Drome Racers
This also correctly constrains the amount of frequency change that can happen as a result of Doppler calculations
Fix buffer description copies for old versions of DirectSound
IndirectSound had assumed that buffer descriptions were always the same size as DirectSound 7 or later

Ah, thanks!

Is this a DSound3D emulator for modern Windows OS? I don't know anything about
this software?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 164 of 228, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jonpol wrote on 2019-01-14, 17:24:
lowenz wrote on 2019-01-14, 12:24:

The registry mod procedure ( https://www.indirectsound.com/registryIssues.html ) is still needed?

Yes, that is still needed for those games that create the DirectSound interface using COM functions. Luckily this is a small percentage; most games just use the DirectSound functions.

There is another way.

Edit: Oops, never mind, I posted too fast. This is for different use case. Don't try it, it'll cause circular dependency.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 165 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2020-06-20, 18:34:
jonpol wrote on 2019-01-14, 17:24:
lowenz wrote on 2019-01-14, 12:24:

The registry mod procedure ( https://www.indirectsound.com/registryIssues.html ) is still needed?

Yes, that is still needed for those games that create the DirectSound interface using COM functions. Luckily this is a small percentage; most games just use the DirectSound functions.

There is another way.

Edit: Oops, never mind, I posted too fast. This is for different use case. Don't try it, it'll cause circular dependency.

Interesting. But yeah, that wouldn't work for IndirectSound because I still load the real dsound.dll behind the scenes. It might work for DSOAL (not sure if it uses the real dsound.dll or not), but that would also change your system's behavior for every game, which seems a bit drastic. I think it's probably good to be able to try different dsound.dlls for troubleshooting purposes, even if it's slightly annoying to have to manually copy them. (I guess something like ALchemy's installer is the user-friendly solution to that.)

Reply 167 of 228, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jonpol wrote on 2020-06-20, 19:05:

but that would also change your system's behavior for every game

Actually, you still have to put game.exe.local file in its folder for the registry setting to be effective.

lowenz wrote on 2020-06-20, 19:39:

You can build OpenAL Soft (on which DSOAL is based) with WASAPI support only.
I do this way to avoid any possible problem 😁

Seems like an overkill since there's a config option for that, see here. You could set:

drivers = -dsound,

or

drivers = wasapi
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 168 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2020-06-25, 08:38:
jonpol wrote on 2020-06-20, 19:05:

but that would also change your system's behavior for every game

Actually, you still have to put game.exe.local file in its folder for the registry setting to be effective.

Oh, ok, I guess I didn't read the description carefully enough. In that case I think I'd rather just copy the dsound.dll around anyway, but it's nice there's another option for DSOAL users if they'd prefer that.

I also just discovered that the registry settings that I had made in HKEY_CURRENT_USER to make IndirectSound work on my main machine were no longer there, presumably removed by some Windows Update. I had hoped that Windows would leave them alone (as opposed to changes made in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which involve modifying existing entries and which were known to get reset to Windows defaults by updates), but that appears to not be the case 🙁
Maybe this was already known, but it was new to me. I guess I should modify my instructions to make it clear that either method will have to be repeated periodically. It is more annoying to have to enter in new keys (what I recommend doing in HKEY_CURRENT_USER) than modifying existing ones (the alternate method in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE), but I guess I still prefer modfying HKEY_CURRENT_USER for safety reasons because you can always just delete the keys and get back to the default Windows behavior. I guess I could also supply a REG file to automate the process, but I don't think I'd want the liability if someone's registry got messed up (my existing instructions are intentionally not very detailed for this exact reason).

UCyborg, I don't suppose you know of any way of preventing Windows from removing entries? 😀

Reply 169 of 228, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have an issue with Indirectsound (v. o.20) with Colin McRae Rally 2005 (and maybe others).
Without Indirectsound I found it sounded off (5.1 setup) on Win 10 x64, especially on rainy stages the raineffect would drown out other sounds.
With Indirectsound it sounds much better, however for some reason my co-driver doesn't call out instructions anylonger.
I tried changing settings in the dsound.ini but nothing worked.

Is there any way to solve this?

Reply 170 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Procyon wrote on 2021-01-11, 11:29:
I have an issue with Indirectsound (v. o.20) with Colin McRae Rally 2005 (and maybe others). Without Indirectsound I found it so […]
Show full quote

I have an issue with Indirectsound (v. o.20) with Colin McRae Rally 2005 (and maybe others).
Without Indirectsound I found it sounded off (5.1 setup) on Win 10 x64, especially on rainy stages the raineffect would drown out other sounds.
With Indirectsound it sounds much better, however for some reason my co-driver doesn't call out instructions anylonger.
I tried changing settings in the dsound.ini but nothing worked.

Is there any way to solve this?

Hi Procyon! Emailing indirectsound@gmail.com directly is probably a better way of getting support, but I can give you some ideas here.

I don't have the game, and so I am unable to test personally. The first thing that would be good to do as a sanity check would be to use IndirectSound, but set the number of hardware buffers to 0. We would expect the output to be the same as when not using IndirectSound (i.e. the rain effect would be too loud, but your co-driver would be calling out instructions). If that's the case then proceed to the next paragraph. If that is not the case, however, then there may be some other bug with IndirectSound.

Next, it is hard to say without doing some debugging or troubleshooting. Since I don't have the game I would probably have to send you a debug version of IndirectSound and ask you to do some tests and send the results back to me. The following are reasons I can think of at the moment why you might not be hearing the co-driver:

• There might be a difference in the game itself when using hardware buffers. (We would need to test this on Windows XP with a Sound Blaster, I guess. Do you have access to older hardware?)
  • If EAX is enabled there can be volume differences because IndirectSound pretends to support EAX but doesn't actually apply any of the audio effects. (Your description makes it sound like the problem happens even without an INI file; is that correct? If so, it's not an EAX problem.)
  • There may just be a bug with IndirectSound that no one has caught yet.

Again, assuming it is the last option (which seems most likely), I would probably need to send you a debug version of IndirectSound ("debug" in the sense of having extra debug/troubleshooting features enabled to try and help track down problems), so we will need to get in email contact for that.

Reply 172 of 228, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if it might interest anyone (maybe jonpol 😃) but OpenAL Soft now supports EAX! https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/commit/19 … 2577669fc25caf6
However, there is still no DirectSound wrapper that makes use of this new implementation (OpenAL games that use EAX should already work).

Reply 173 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DSOAL is already a thing (routing to the OpenAL Soft virtual device): http://vaporeon.io/hosted/dsoal-builds/ (source from the same author of OpenAL Soft)
Old OpenAL EAX (not EFX) must use a wrapper too (OpenAL32.dll+soft_oal.dll), and is already a thing: https://github.com/bibendovsky/eaxefx

They perform well, you can test EAXEFX in Unreal 2 / UT2004 / UMX / etc. (forcing the "native" OpenAL path and putting the DLLs in the *GAME* system folder) 😀

[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
UseEAX=true
Use3DSound=True
UseDefaultDriver=False
CompatibilityMode=False
UsePrecache=True
ReverseStereo=False
Channels=32
MusicVolume=0.200000
SoundVolume=1.000000
DopplerFactor=1.000000
Rolloff=0.500000
TimeBetweenHWUpdates=15.000000

Reply 174 of 228, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know these things but that's not what I wrote. EAXEFX is now useless as the EAXEFX developer himself has implemented EAX in OpenAL Soft: https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft/commit/19 … 2577669fc25caf6.
DSOAL, according to the developer kcat (please read here: https://github.com/bibendovsky/eaxefx/issues/24), has its not perfect EAX implementation, the new one implemented in OpenAL Soft would seem better, but currently DSOAL still uses his.

For OpenAL EAX games you now only need OpenAL Soft (compiled from source https://github.com/kcat/openal-soft). For DirectSound games, hopefully DSOAL will be updated or maybe IndirectSound. 😄
Anyway DSOAL still works, but with its old implementation.

Reply 176 of 228, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried to compile OpenAL Soft with Visual Studio in the past but without success, hope you have better luck than me. I solved it with MSYS2 (if you want, I can share the binaries).

Yes, the developer of OpenAL Soft and DSOAL is the same, but it is very concentrated with OpenAL Soft (DSOAL is not updated since November 2021).
EAXEFX developer created the implementation for OpenAL Soft (based on EAXEFX).

EDIT
I have attached the OpenAL Soft binaries.
For Doom 3, Quake 4 and Prey, use the EAXEFX app patcher (fixes bugs in these games).

Attachments

• Filename
    eaxefx_app_patcher.7z
    File size
    63.16 KiB
    Downloads
    75 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    OpenAL Soft.7z
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Kappa971 on 2022-02-02, 13:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 178 of 228, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You only need eaxefx_app_patcher.exe for those three games. This is what the EAXEFX site says:
"Resolved issues:

Doom 3 (2004) visual twitch bug.
Quake 4 (2005) source occlusion out of range.
Prey (2006) source occlusion out of range.
Only runtime patching is supported for Steam version."

Now all that remains is to wait for an update of DSOAL or IndirectSound 😁

Reply 179 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the binaries (WIndows 10 + x86 + WASAPI only as backend): https://www.mediafire.com/file/x757ziayb8rd0f … AL+EAX.zip/file

My alsoft.ini, being the package installed in C:\ (for the speakers configuration presets)

[General]
sample-type=float32
channels=surround71
frequency=48000
stereo-mode=headphones
hrtf=false
default-hrtf=Built-In 48000hz
drivers="wasapi,-dsound"
output-limiter=false
dither=false

[decoder]
distance-comp=false
nfc=false
surround71=C:/openal-soft/presets/3D7.1.ambdec

Just use Unreal 2 as benchmark, setting UseDefaultDriver=False in unreal2.ini and enabling the EAX 3 in the game options menu.
Severnaya sewers or Training grounds are perfect to test EAX.