VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all, I was hoping you guys could figure out if this is normal or what but I am running windows 98 SE on a Sony Viao PCX-RX550.
Specs :
CPU : Intel Pentium 4 1.6 ghz
RAM : 512 mb
Sound : PCI Soundblaster Live! SB0200
Graphics : PCI Nvidia Geforce TNT2

When I use it normally to do things like run games or MS Office 97 it works perfectly, it boots quickly and shuts down even faster.
However when I run two things simultaneously it slows to a crawl. This can be anything, unzipping files and having Excel 97 open even.
Also my sound stutters a bit when the computer starts up, any advice?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the swap file enabled? I'm not sure why it would be disabled, but that would definitely slow Windows down during multitasking. (Even with 512 MB, I think Windows might still try to use the swap file.)

Also, have you installed any patches or unofficial service packs?

Reply 3 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I think it was what the first guy said. I checked the DMA on the HDD and it was disabled so I enabled it and restarted the computer and no sound stuttering. So far multitasking seems to be normal now. So problem fixed I think.
As to the service packs I think I applied the official one but that was it. Also if I were to check the swap file how would I go about that?

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

As to the service packs I think I applied the official one but that was it.

There is no official service pack for Windows 98 SE.

Also if I were to check the swap file how would I go about that?

It's in the System control panel somewhere, probably under a Virtual Memory setting. (Opinions seem to differ as to how large it should be, but on a Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM, I don't think the specifics will make much of a difference.)

Reply 5 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. Sorry I couldn't remember if I had updated so I guess that means I have not then. 🤣
Thanks for the info I'll take a gander at it but everything seems fine now so no worries. 😁