VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I can't install SB16 in windows 95 no matter what I tried.
First I tried to install de regullar sb16 drivers in Windows 95 DOS mode but a message
appears stating I'm trying to install a DOS program runing Windows 95,
and I don't seem to find any SB16 drivers specifically for W95.
Any thoughts?

Reply 3 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows should come with the drivers. Just got to manually install them.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Windows should come with the drivers. Just got to manually install them.

Thanx Mau1wurf1977, got it working.
I have another question. Inspired by your W95 MSDOS hybrid machine video I made my own command.com with
its own DOS setup. I made some changes in the MSDOS.SYS so the computer boots directly into MS-DOS, but when I do that it looses
the command.com original setup. Is there anyway I can load this setup or attributes?
Or just loading into MS-DOS with a different autoexec.bat settings than the ones that appear when you load up directly into W95?

Also Mau1, when you load your command.com you start MS-DOS and you appear inside the windows directory.
At the end of the autoexec.bat batch file your wrote cd c:\ but that doesn'a appear to work.
I have tried it as well and I can't get it to set ms-dos starting in directory c:\

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2014-05-05, 10:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah yes. Yea I never figured out how to get this going. But I didn't spend too much time on it either 😀

I also haven't modified MSDOS.SYS so I know less about this than you do.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Ah yes. Yea I never figured out how to get this going. But I didn't spend too much time on it either 😀

I also haven't modified MSDOS.SYS so I know less about this than you do.

I'll keep trying, if I find something I'll let you guys know.

I'm also seem to be having some problems with SB16 DMA settings in W95 (not ms-dos) with some games like BLOOD, how do I change the IRQ, DMA settings in W95? Tha game works fine in MS-DOS

Reply 7 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In device manager under resourcesof the SB16!

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pingaloka wrote:

At the end of the autoexec.bat batch file your wrote cd c:\ but that doesn'a appear to work.

That should be "cd \".

There is also probably a switch that can be used on command.com that would be more elegant, but offhand I wouldn't know what that is.

Pingaloka wrote:
I have another question. Inspired by your W95 MSDOS hybrid machine video I made my own command.com with its own DOS setup. I ma […]
Show full quote

I have another question. Inspired by your W95 MSDOS hybrid machine video I made my own command.com with
its own DOS setup. I made some changes in the MSDOS.SYS so the computer boots directly into MS-DOS, but when I do that it looses
the command.com original setup. Is there anyway I can load this setup or attributes?
Or just loading into MS-DOS with a different autoexec.bat settings than the ones that appear when you load up directly into W95?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think you can still configure a boot menu in config.sys. Alternatively, there's probably some way to determine if Windows is running, but offhand I'm not sure that that is either.

Reply 9 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Jorpho, thanx for your answer.
What I mean in the second question is that I want different drivers to load than the ones loaded when W95 GUI loads up.
My own autoexec.bat and config.sys only for MS-DOS mode.
Why? So I have more free conventional memory.

Reply 10 of 12, by ZenecadE1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not an elegant suggestion but you can try resizing your partition then creating a second partition with the free space. You can then use the sys command to transfer the required boot files to the new partition. All that's left is to install a boot manager. From here on you can have separate config and autoexec.

Reply 11 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried System Commander as boot manager, it worked fine. Only problem was that each time I used a different system/partition, eg. W95, then MS-DOS. System Commander would alter the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I would write my own autoexec.bat and config.sys files for MS-Dos then boot into W95, then back again into Ms-Dos and surprise, autoexec.bat and config.sys get modified.
Any other boot managers I could try?

Reply 12 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Repartitioning seems a bit excessive just for the sake of different configurations. As I said, can't you use a boot menu in your config.sys? Guides for doing so are widely available.
http://dos.rsvs.net/DOSPAGE/CONFMENU.HTM

Alternatively, it may be possible to load whatever drivers you normally load in DOS with CONFIG.SYS with a device driver loader (see for instance Device Driver loaders... any working? ). Then you can just load them up from the command line after booting directly into MS-DOS.