VOGONS

Common searches

Far Cry

Topic actions

Reply 281 of 389, by Res1s7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I still get a game that intermittently has combat breaking short pauses when firing, using binoculars, etc. This got me killed a number of times. The game also sometimes stutters when walking around but this is rarer, but always happens at the start of "Research". There's definitely a pause when firing directly at an enemy (on the hitscan?) but I can't think why this would be.

So after trying everything I can think of ...

- Run on one core.

- Use 64bit version.

- Run as admin and with compatibility.

- Switching to low res (1024x768).

- Tried with vsync off with AMD frame rate limit and with vsync on.

- Moving to SSD.

- Try various compatibility settings suggested by compatibility trouble shooter like "Disable full screen optimisations", DPI settings.

- Tried running at "realtime" priority"

Everything makes the problem worse apart from 64bit and the SSD.

When a major pause occurs the screen briefly freezes and when FC comes back my aim has swivelled around to somewhere else. This suggests to me that the engine itself is running OK in the background but the frame output get's stuck for some reason. Really irritating and it's putting me off from playing this excellent game. Would be nice to get it fixed.

EDIT (Fri 21st Dec 2018): Finally got down to finding a fix for this. I realised I had not taken a systematic approach to the problem. Taking that approach revealed something that could be quite interesting.

1. I reinstalled FC Steam with all default files and settings (apart from saved games and EAX being on) and problem is a lot better. Testing showed the problem has gone away. I did this by using the opening of the level "Research" as that's where I always got bad pausing/stuttering right at the beginning walking along the beach.

2. Both 64 bit patches reinstalled because they could have altered original game files (levels and so forth). Repeat test of start of "Research" level still shows none of the consistent shorts pauses as you look around. So this is not the fault of the 64 bit patches.

3. Tried with graphics settings all turned up and with no changes to the system.cfg file as I had made (for example Anisotropic filtering is maxed to eight). Again this was a successful test. No pauses ! I noticed that map load takes a lot longer at the beginning, with disk access going on. Is this when FC creates the shader pre-cache ? I originally possibly mistook this for a "freeze" to begin with and applied the "Modify the parameter r_ShadersPrecache to 0" ( https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry#Game_cr … y_high_lighting ). This is what could have created the problem for me in the first place leading to short pauses while un-cached shaders load on firing as added lighting effects from weapons are bought into play. This still happens on the first fire of the weapon after level load (see below) but never afterwards.

3. Added SilentPatch. Test successful. No pauses or stuttering. So it was not the SilentPatch.

4. Music quality turned up to full. Test: No pauses or stuttering. However as, with one of the previous tests there was a pause THE FIRST time you fire the full automatic M16 (or whatever it is) then after that the same pause does not happen. Is this evidence for source of problem ? It seems that FC1 is caching a lighting shader at that point (hence the pause) and this is why it does not happen again because it's cached into memory (BTW FC was tested here while installed on an SSD).

5. AMD VSR turned on @ 3200x1800x32 - Same test. No pauses at start of level. Same pause on first gunfire and no pauses afterwards.

This thread makes me wonder if there is some kind of shader compile/pre-cache bug going on. The way the first fire of a weapon after level load causes a pause (of about second or longer) which then never happens again until the next level load makes me thing there are some shaders that need fixing and/or recompiling (there's a shader compiler included with FC).

So the moral of the story is. Careful changing settings in "system.cfg". It causes bugs to activate such as the game not being able to start , whose fixes lead on to other bugs ! For example I have lighting maxed out now and don't have to apply the fix recommended on Pcgamingwiki. It would also be nice if someone with the expertise could could look at the Fc shaders and shader system again.

Reply 282 of 389, by ladderman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Sorry to bring this topic up again,but i'm having problems with this game.

Okay,i am using the FarCryWineFix-64bit.zip from this topic(Far Cry).My pc specs will be below.

I can use the binoculars and zoom in/out of the landscape.It's when i take damage from an enemy,the screen goes black for a second?!This happens in the Carrier level.

I also installed the Silent patch but that didn't help.

I am using the DVD version of Far Cry.

What can do to fix my problem?.

Thanks.

Colin

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Intel Core i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD
6TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD6001FZWX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 128MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 580 - HDMI, 3 x DP - DX 12
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 580 - HDMI, 3 x DP - DX 12
Creative Sound Blaster Zx 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
AOC G2770PF HDMI LCD 27 inch Monitor

Reply 284 of 389, by n3r0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I have a question about Far Cry. In the latest official Far Cry patch there is a bug - enemies can see player through the tents (military / medic). Though player is hidden inside, they see precisely where he is and shoot through. This bug was absent in version 1.0. Is there an official or unofficial way to fix it?

Reply 285 of 389, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
n3r0 wrote:

Hello. I have a question about Far Cry. In the latest official Far Cry patch there is a bug - enemies can see player through the tents (military / medic). Though player is hidden inside, they see precisely where he is and shoot through. This bug was absent in version 1.0. Is there an official or unofficial way to fix it?

Not as far as I know. Just use an earlier patch like 1.32. The latest patch is mostly multiplayer patch anyway and the second last 1.33 is 100% multiplayer patch.

Reply 286 of 389, by a0divided

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Crank9000 wrote:
n3r0 wrote:

Not as far as I know. Just use an earlier patch like 1.32. The latest patch is mostly multiplayer patch anyway and the second last 1.33 is 100% multiplayer patch.

There actually do exist unofficial patches/mods for 1.4 that fix the AI issue. As far as I know it was fixed in at least both FCAM and a vanilla-friendly unofficial patch 1.41.

Reply 288 of 389, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As said previously, you'll want to use patch 1.32 to avoid that bug.

My question is... if I am playing in the native OS of Windows XP 32-bit is there any reason to use community patches or should I just stick to pre 1.4 ? Should I patch at all? I'm running the 5-disc (yes 5!) retail version.

Reply 289 of 389, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried 64-bit patch + added content with Steam version and all works fine..except EAX (x-fi xtreme gamer + Creative ALchemy 1.45.20+ win10). At least there is no dsoundlog.txt created in bin64 folder (unlike when i set alchemy to bin32 folder). Is this limitation of specific 64-bit patch or maybe Alchemy don't work with 64-bit games?

Reply 290 of 389, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Creative ALchemy doesn't support 64-bit games. There was some talk about building 64-bit version of DSOAL on its GitHub project issues page, so it's supposedly buildable, but you might have to compile it yourself unless someone provides the binaries.

I only know of Vaporeon site providing 32-bit builds.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 291 of 389, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2020-04-18, 10:07:

Creative ALchemy doesn't support 64-bit games. There was some talk about building 64-bit version of DSOAL on its GitHub project issues page, so it's supposedly buildable, but you might have to compile it yourself unless someone provides the binaries.

Well, i'm out of luck then 😅
But thanks for explanation.

Reply 292 of 389, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also I was trying to get Alchemy to work with Far Cry 64 bit (I have a Sound Blaster Z). It doesn't work, probably because Alchemy's dsound.dll file is 32bit. But the thing I can't understand (I couldn't find an explanation for it anywhere) is: why is Far Cry 64 bit on Alchemy's list of supported games? Once Far Cry is installed, the 64-bit version is even recognized by Alchemy. And it's not the only 64-bit game supported, there are 2 more (and I guess these don't work either). Why did Creative add 64-bit games to Alchemy compatible if they can't work?
However I solved using the 32-bit version of Far Cry + a patch that adds the contents of the 64-bit version over the 32-bit one (at the cost of slightly lower performance, Far Cry 64-bit is probably more optimized).

Reply 294 of 389, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Far Cry 64 bit seems to have EAX (or at least it is present in the game menu) and is in the list of games supported by Alchemy although it cannot work, as Alchemy is 32 bit... At first I thought it was a problem with the Sound Blaster Z which emulates EAX in software and which was therefore a limitation of the emulator, but from what I have read here, even with the Sound Blaster x-fi it doesn't work with Far Cry 64 bit (via Alchemy, with Windows XP x64 I don't know).

But I don't know, everything is very confusing ...

Reply 295 of 389, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EAX through DSound in 64 bit was never a thing.

But please, name some other 64 bit games (not demos ad Dreadnought) of that era.....I can't remember anyone *released* (Starbreeze maybe did have an internal 64 bit version of Chronicles of Riddick)
HL2 64 bit simply has disappeared back in the days ( https://techgage.com/article/half-life_2_64-b … to_get_excited/ )

Reply 296 of 389, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't question what you say as I don't know more, but I don't understand why Creative put Far Cry 64 bit as a supported game if it doesn't work, just this ... To confirm what you say, someone should test with Windows XP x64 and an old Sound Blaster whether EAX actually works in Far Cry 64 bit or not.

EDIT
It seems that The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was also 64-bit and supports EAX 4... I guess Alchemy doesn't work with the 64-bit executable here too, on Windows XP x64? Does EAX only work with 32-bit executable?
However, I am correcting what I wrote above: the only 64-bit game "supported" by Alchemy is Far Cry.

Reply 298 of 389, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At this point, unless someone comes up with a PC running Windows XP x64 and a Sound Blaster x-fi or older, I could try a 64-bit compiled DSOAL and see if Far Cry 64-bit actually supports EAX or the settings "Hardware mixing" and "Enable EAX 2.0" in the 64-bit version do nothing.