VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My copy of Destruction Derby 2 (the UK Argentum budget re-release) contains both the DOS version (in a "dos" sub-folder on the CD-ROM) and a very old DirectX (2 or 3) version of the game.

The DOS version works in DOSBox, but doesn't seem throttled, so can run far too fast. It means it can appear smoother, but the music seems to break up a lot (probably tweaking DOSBox settings would help).

So, onto the Windows version... the installer won't work as it's 16 bit, and copying the game files to the computer and replacing it with a newer setup32.exe doesn't work either. So you'll need a virtual machine first (I used Win98 in VMware Player, but you could try XP in that or another virtual machine). Install the game into the virtual machine, then simply copy the install folder (I put it in c:\DD2) over to your Win8.1 machine (in my case I put it in d:\games\DD2). Then simply run dd2h.exe to play. No compatibility settings needed!

Note: dd2.exe (low res version) seems to crash, but who wants 320x240 res when you can have 640x480, eh?!
Note 2: the Windows version is throttled, so seems to run at (I'd guess) 25fps maximum (if not less), so it does seem more jerky. The sound effects are also more fuzzy and quiet, but the music doesn't skip or stutter the gameplay (as the DOS version does in a default version of DOSBox).

Anyway there you go, try it if you have the game (and a Virtual machine handy!).

p.s. The PlayStation version through an emulator will ALWAYS look better 😉

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 9, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have it running on WinXP and Win7. However on the second race and beyond, the keys behave strangely. accelerate and brake zoom in and out and the steering moves the camera. The low res version crashes because newer drivers removed these resolutions, but they can be added.

Reply 2 of 9, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not tried it beyond a quick test, so it might be buggy. FYI if you put the DDRAW.DLL replacement from http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630 in the game folder, it'll be much smoother too!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 9, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As per elsewhere, instead of using the DXPrimaryEmulation tick, replace it with NoGDIHWAcceleration

Reply 4 of 9, by gcxd68

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is very old, but I'm looking for some help on how the CD-ROM detection works in Destruction Derby 2.

Let me explain : I'd like to make an installer for this game, one that would make the game work on Windows 10. I already know how to extract the files, but I have a problem with the CD-ROM detection. At first, I installed the game on Windows 98 using 86Box and searched for the CD-ROM drive letter in the Registry Editor, but found nothing . What I found is that the game automatically detects the CD-ROM, no matter which drive it is in ; I susccessfully tried D:, E:, F: and G: without re-installing the game, and it still starts. But if there are multiple CD-ROM Drives, the CD-ROM must be in the first one.

On Windows 10, impossible for the game to detect the CD-ROM. My central question is : how does the game find the right CD-ROM drive letter in Windows 98 ? I'm a bit lost on this one...

Thanks in advance if you respond to my question,

Grégory

Reply 5 of 9, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't look at the game but... It probably finds the CD-ROM drive by calling `GetLogicalDrives()` or `GetLogicalDriveStrings()` to get all the used drive letters. Then it would pass each drive letter to `GetDriveTypeA()` to see if it has the type `DRIVE_CDROM`. Which is probably no help to you at all 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2014-11-26, 00:59:

So, onto the Windows version... the installer won't work as it's 16 bit, and copying the game files to the computer and replacing it with a newer setup32.exe doesn't work either. So you'll need a virtual machine first (I used Win98 in VMware Player, but you could try XP in that or another virtual machine). Install the game into the virtual machine, then simply copy the install folder (I put it in c:\DD2) over to your Win8.1 machine (in my case I put it in d:\games\DD2). Then simply run dd2h.exe to play. No compatibility settings needed!

why don't you install the game with winedvm ? you can launch 16-bit installers with it and will install the game correctly.

Reply 7 of 9, by svk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Launched successfully on Win10-x64. dgVoodoo2 + noCD patch + _inmm.dll + DDrawCompat.
Works with audio tracks without a CD in the drive, and intro video playback.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Destruction … _music_playback
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat
I observe the following problem with this game: sfx (collision sounds), as you move along the track, begin to disappear. The engine sound is always normal and always audible.
I checked it on the above installation, as well as in the Windows version on Win98 in PCemu, as well as in the DOS version in DOSBox (last two with unmodified installation) - it's the same everywhere.
What is this, a bug of the PC version?

ps: I haven't seen the PC version until yesterday, and it was funny to find out that 8-bit color is used there, in contrast to the 16-bit Playstation version)
And the rest of the differences - https://destructionderby.fandom.com/wiki/Destruction_Derby_2

EDIT: dgVoodoo2 is superfluous for this game, just DDrawCompat is enough.
I just added DDrawCompat later, when I was solving the problem with playing the intro video.
Yes, I know this game can be run simply, without even turning on compatibility mode. However, in my case, the ingame image was glitchy, and I used dgVoodoo2. And now it is completely useless, as its ddraw.dll has been replaced with DDrawCompat.

Reply 8 of 9, by gcxd68

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I made my Destruction Derby 2 installer, it's working fine if you use an original CD-ROM or a full size CD image in a format that supports the mixed-mode (bin/cue, ccd/bin/sub or mdf/mds) and mount it with a virtual drive software that has no problem dealing with that mode : Portable Alcohol, Daemon Tools Lite (not a fan of those solutions...), Ultra RamDrive (yes yes, wonderful one), or Virtual CloneDrive (the one I use) ; but this last one only with a ccd/img/sub image : it loses the mixed-mode CD info with a cue/bin or a mdf/mds. Careful if you have several CD-ROM drives (physical & virtual drives count), the game CD must be the 1st one.

See it here : https://youtu.be/FZz15h1_KI4

Do you think it would benefit from the installation of DDrawCompat ? In order to avoid the windows DDraw install prompt maybe ?

Reply 9 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I've installed the game from the CD-ROM image on a Windows XP build, and it indeed seems to work without problem but... it runs at about half the speed than the DOS version!

There's a timer on the corner of the screen if you run in Destruction Derby -> Total destruction mode, I'm using it as the realtime clock inside the game. The DOS version has this timer ticking on real time, but in the Windows versions it runs at about half the speed.

gcxd68 I see in your video the game also runs to you at that same half speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZz15h1_KI4

But just check any DOS version video, it runs at the usual crazy speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHJf_KLJMro

And the original PSX version runs at that speed too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1i5OSqS398

What's funny is I didn't fully enjoy this game back in the day, because it was pretty much uncontrollable, you randomly crashed the other cars, when in the prequel there was much more control. So perhaps the developers changed their mind and fixed this on the Windows version, or is only a bug?