Common searches

DVD Games, where art thou?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are misinformed about the HD-DVD format. It isn't DVD Video, it is MPEG-4 Windows Media 9 Format video in true high-definition 1440i that, Microsoft is hoping, will be an additional data track.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 41 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kyl3 About the phenomenon DVD, I think it's slowly dying. We have like 6 different recordables (+/- ram etc). 5 different types and now even M$ is introducing a new HD-DVD...

I don't see this at all... DVD-RAM was always a niche market, never designed with the general public in mind. -RW and +RW are indeed competing, but which one "wins out" is more a concern for the techno-geek than the average customer. Sony even introduced the dual-format recorder specifically to allay those "format" fears. For DVD to "die", you would need a competing product to fill the vacuum...and that surely isn’t CD-ROM.

I've got Outcast on DVD.. I think it's a bundle version with one of them DvD expansion cards,...

Any enhancements? MPEG2 video, etc...?

Reply 42 of 52, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are misinformed about the HD-DVD format. It isn't DVD Video, it is MPEG-4 Windows Media 9 Format video in true high-definition 1440i that, Microsoft is hoping, will be an additional data track.

I'm confused 🙁, though I'm almost sure M$ is marketing their new mediaplayertrack as DVD-HD.. (Unless this magazine is wrong)

Outcast enhancements.. well, bonus material blizzard style.. not lot's of it. The intro is available as mpeg2 tp watch in your dvd-player, but the image quality is very bad, probably captured from the cd version (that bad, mpeg quality). I don't know if there is an intro on the cd version, if someone could confirm that ?

The neat thing is the soundtrack, which is done by the moscow symphony orchestra and chorus. To bad it's not the dolby digital one we hear during the game.. (That's just mp3.. bummer). The soundtrack is real nice (If u like orchestra's that is).

The DVD version of outcast isn't really a must have.

Reply 44 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jorpho I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Starship Titanic DVD. (I'd love to get around to playing that someday.)

If this review is correct and there are no enhancements, then it's no surprise that a DVD version was ignored.

Reply 46 of 52, by BVH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the outcast CD version had a intro. I think it's just a crappy mpg, I remember it looked ike it was ripped from VHS the visual quality was that bad 😉

as for the Outcast dvd the outcast webpage (wich is now gone after infogrames changed it's name to Atari) said that the “In-game sound and music have been encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1; one hour of exclusive video; three languages and seven subtitles means you can combine any voice with any subtitle and change these options during the game without losing the saved game" I got that of the site before it disappeared for life.

the music was all ways a big high light for me in that game, and I feel it made up for any short comings the game may have had (mind you it's my all time favorite game) if you ask me all the “extras” would have me buying the game again (on DVD instead of CD) just to hear it in 5.1 😀

Reply 47 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Zork Grand Inquisitor
When installing, it declares that my video isn't DVD capable, threatens to Totemize me (!), then installs the "plain" video segments for the game. Video files are the standard .VOB. 98SE/XP, Same results.

Slight update to this. My version was a "SONY DVD-ROM" bundle version. I recently found a "Gateway Computer" bundle version (was it ever sold separately?) at Half-Price books. No price on the jewelcase, but it was on the clearance rack, so I asked at checkout. The cashier went ahead a sold it to me for a dollar and I took it home to test.

Result? Complete success. Really nice after so many disappointments. The install routine did the "hardware check" just like the Sony version did, but the Gateway version came back as good. While the MPEG video wasn't "stunning", its still a definite improvement. Audio is where it shines: I could hear the all the "Grand Inquisitor" loudspeaker announcements and movie audio in full surround-sound. Might have to check and see if there's some way of hacking the SONY version to get it working properly.

BTW, I swapped out my dying DVD drive for a SONY unit a while back, but that made no difference for the SONY version.

Reply 49 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover How big?

When you receive notice from your ISP that an email attachment sent to you crashed the server due its exceeding filesystem limitations...you'll know.

Reply 51 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover I AM the server's ISP. Um, kinda.

Well, I meant your personal email as opposed to VOGONS in general. Never mind. Serves me right for attempting humor here.

...do not send 4GB through SMTP.

*heh*
*ponders it*
Anyway...the real solution (probably) is to compare the SONY install to the Gateway install and see if hacking a "hardware-specific" version is possible. If so, that would at least make it less of a gamble to buy the DVD version.