VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Grand Touring by Empire Sport (an early version of the engine that powers the first Ford Racing (and Ford Racing 2001) game has a specific bug. If you run the gt.exe with no compatibility it just crashes, but apply Win98 or Win95 compatibility mode and you get an "Error" window stating "FAILED to start DIRECTPlay".

Any suggestions? I see threads in Wine about this, but no real solutions...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note: Ford Racing 2001 (the updated version of Ford Racing 1 with in-car cockpit view) works fine, so doesn't use DirectPlay the same way

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay just tried this game on work PC with ATI HD 4600 graphics and it works fine, with or without Win98 compatibility. So this might again be Nvidia driver related :-p or maybe Win7 64bit supports DirectPlay?!

Reply 4 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
markv23 wrote on 2021-11-20, 16:05:

Hello, sorry for bumping this quite old thread. Virtuaiceman, have you managed to get this game working on Windows 10? I got the same error, tried multiple workarounds with no avail.

Best Regards

I am running this game currently, and I didn't need any compatibility settings. The only thing I needed to start this game, is to install WineD3D to the game folder. You shouldn't but if you still get any DirectPlay errors you will primarily need to enable DirectPlay in Turn Windows features on or off. There are still some oddities like mouse doesn't work for me and no music in the menu, seems like DxWnd has to be employed. If you face more issues you may need a new thread.

Since you replied to this old thread, this should be closed in little time. Hope this helped. Enjoy

Update: Menu CD Audio is fixed with DxWnd. On to the mouse then. Also set DirectX Version Hook to none under the DirectX tab or you might get some issues running the game in fullscreen. To access all these option you may need to enable Expert Mode in the Options menu of this application DxWnd.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 5 of 7, by markv23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-11-20, 17:08:
I am running this game currently, and I didn't need any compatibility settings. The only thing I needed to start this game, is t […]
Show full quote

Hello, sorry for bumping this quite old thread. Virtuaiceman, have you managed to get this game working on Windows 10? I got the same error, tried multiple workarounds with no avail.

Best Regards

I am running this game currently, and I didn't need any compatibility settings. The only thing I needed to start this game, is to install WineD3D to the game folder. You shouldn't but if you still get any DirectPlay errors you will primarily need to enable DirectPlay in Turn Windows features on or off. There are still some oddities like mouse doesn't work for me and no music in the menu, seems like DxWnd has to be employed. If you face more issues you may need a new thread.

Since you replied to this old thread, this should be closed in little time. Hope this helped. Enjoy

Update: Menu CD Audio is fixed with DxWnd. On to the mouse then. Also set DirectX Version Hook to none under the DirectX tab or you might get some issues running the game in fullscreen. To access all these option you may need to enable Expert Mode in the Options menu of this application DxWnd.

Many thanks for your help! I
Mods feel free to close this and i'll open a new one if needed. Best regards all

Reply 6 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
markv23 wrote on 2021-11-20, 17:59:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-11-20, 17:08:
I am running this game currently, and I didn't need any compatibility settings. The only thing I needed to start this game, is t […]
Show full quote

Best Regards

Many thanks for your help! I
Mods feel free to close this and i'll open a new one if needed. Best regards all

A small workaround for the moue issue, move the mouse very slowly, it will move eventually. Also I discovered you don't need WineD3D if you are using DxWnd, but if you use DxWnd you will need to set DirectX Version Hook to Automatic again.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058