VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've been installing the Need For Speed series, as some of the guides below can attest. All the games up to NFS4 (Road Challenge/High Stakes) install fine, but on my PC (probably an Nvidia driver issue or something to do with Windows 8.1/memory/processor) I can only get NFS5 Porsche 2000 (as I have European version of Unleashed) to run as far as the splash screen, then it crashes. Tried numerous fixes including various takes on the 3.5 patch, nGlide's EmulateHeap fix, renaming gimme.dll, deleting pic16.fsh (as apparently that can help), etc. One time ever I managed to get to the profile picture select screen, but the game crashed before I could get any further!

The Porsche demo does the same. Not sure if there's anyone else out there with Win8.1 and ATI that could verify it works for them? However using nGlide still gets the same crash, so it might not be Nvidia related.

Moving on to NFS Hot Pursuit 2, that simply crashes right after clicking the game icon. The demo (from Gamershell) does the same, but works fine on my ATI Radeon HD 4600 powered Win7 64bit machine at work, so this really might be Nvidia related.

Again, if anyone has any tips, wing them over! There's not much online about NFSHP2 as it wasn't that well received (I tried the 242 beta patch, same happens).

On the plus side, Underground 1 & 2 and Most Wanted (2005) seem to work fine (not sure about the smoothness of the framerate in MW). More to come!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Porsche 2000 works fine for me win7 x64 Amd
pm me your email and i'll send you my exe

Last edited by Davros on 2015-01-06, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried many exe files and even the demo. There's something else going on...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both Hot Pursuit 2 and Porsche Unleashed demos work here (again, Win8.1+GTX 670).

Well they both have some performance issues I didn't bother looking into and the Porsche Unleashed demo lacked music. But they both boot and go ingame.

My tips: reset Nvidia settings to default, remove ALL non-Microsoft background software (including security software: disconnect from the internet) and create a new Windows user account and try that.

Reply 5 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

well give it a try it will take you 5mins

Your exe does the same as the original and patched ones I've tried, crashes ntdll.dll or KERNELBASE.dll

Here's the 2 errors I see most. The Exception code and Fault offset remain the same for each time each of these occurs. Note: it's pointing to Porsche.exe, which means I was using the executable from the patch I mentioned here (which restores higher res textures): http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic. … =10&t=541#p2604

Faulting application name: Porsche.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x393c2e8f
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17476, time stamp: 0x54516af9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00042fae
Faulting process ID: 0x850
Faulting application start time: 0x01d02885ba376014
Faulting application path: D:\Games\nfs5\Porsche.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 02f60c07-9479-11e4-82c8-7824af8a9e0a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Faulting application name: Porsche.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x393c2e8f
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504ade
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x00014598
Faulting process ID: 0x8f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d02885b1710657
Faulting application path: D:\Games\nfs5\Porsche.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: f67f8d6e-9478-11e4-82c8-7824af8a9e0a

Here's the most often faults when running the original release (via porsche.icd):

Faulting application name: PORSCHE.ICD, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x38c61055
Faulting module name: DINPUT.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x545048f9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00012aae
Faulting process ID: 0x1478
Faulting application start time: 0x01d02883a7c9b513
Faulting application path: D:\Games\nfs5\PORSCHE.ICD
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DINPUT.dll
Report ID: eb239761-9476-11e4-82c8-7824af8a9e0a
Faulting application name: PORSCHE.ICD, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x38c61055
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504ade
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x00014598
Faulting process ID: 0x1908
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0288395448ee7
Faulting application path: D:\Games\nfs5\PORSCHE.ICD
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: dd073cb3-9476-11e4-82c8-7824af8a9e0a

Reply 6 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and to add insult to injury, the blu ray player I got with the new PC now is starting to sound like a tractor. Oh man!

p.s. every other NFS works for me, tho NFS2SE non-3Dfx version crashes, and the graphics were horribly flickery on loading screens in NFS3 and NFS4HS whilst loading, so I switched them to use 3Dfx via nGlide. Porsche crashes using nGlide too, so I'm thinking it might not be graphics card related after all...

Reply 7 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really should try what I wrote, it rules out a LOT of potential problems and should take you 10 minutes at most.

Also try running things as admin and disable dpi scaling in compatibility options.

Reply 8 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will be looking at this more thoroughly in time, as there's encouraging signs it *might* work with the right setup.

I've only been running Nvidia in default driver settings so far. I tried with both AVG and Microsoft Firewall disabled. I suspect it might be something running in the background, and as I have installed about 300+ games it could be some sort of protection driver or something else that's not happy.

I could try being off the net, I also want to try software mode (if it's even available in NFS5) and investigate disabling my soundcard (as I have Soundblaster Zx and onboard (disabled in BIOS) sound). Might even remove some sticks of RAM (although being paired I could only drop it from 16GB to 8GB).

I was considering disabling/removing the 980 and trying to use the onboard Intel graphics on my motherboard, but as the game crashes in Glide mode I'm starting to think it's not graphics related directly.

I've got a stockpile of games that crash at home on Win8.1/64bit/980/SB Zx, but are fine on work Win7/64bit/ATI Radeon HD 4600/onboard AMD sound, so might open up this debate later on. Supercar Street Challenge seems to exhibit a similar bug to NFS5; can even get into the menu in that 2/20 times, before it randomly crashes later.

One more thing: I did a few changes to my PC to help increase the lifespan of the SSD, including disabling paging on C: drive and moving a bunch of Windows items over to D: drive from C:, but I can't think that would cause these sort of random crashes to desktop, as they seem to be memory related.

Might have to try setting up a second account in Windows, though not done that before in 8.1 (or XP!). Is there any kind of Safe Mode with reduced drivers (etc) in Win8.1?

Reply 9 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Start task manager (right click taskbar), go to Startup tab and disable everything.

Start msconfig (win+R, write msconfig), go to the services tab, check "hide all Microsoft services" then uncheck all services that are not critical and reboot.

There's a safe mode but I wouldn't recommend trying it for games.

There's no point in disabling drivers, they usually don't cause any problems. You can try disabling graphic card driver by going to "Device Manager" (just hit win and search for it), expanding display adapters and disabling yours. Windows 8 should fallback to software rendering when you do that.

Don't think there's any point in removing RAM (though you have weird issues so your RAM could be faulty, in which case removing it makes a lot of sense).

You should never disable the pagefile, so if you disabled it on C:, enable it elsewhere.

You should also never move any Windows files to another drive, there's a lot of potential problems as Windows links files in weird ways: expect Windows Update to break if you move anything Windows does not have a specific function for moving.

Reply 10 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In think I might try a simpler route, get a hard disk from my old PC, disconnect current ones, then install my Win8.1 afresh on it, with drivers for graphics and sound from original CDs, and no Internet, that way I'd know if it's something system related or not, easily, don't you think?

Reply 11 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMHO, just install Vista 32-bit as the second/guest OS (WinXp not supports your chipset/videocard) and try these games in it.
Then again, Win8=*censored*.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 12 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

In think I might try a simpler route, get a hard disk from my old PC, disconnect current ones, then install my Win8.1 afresh on it, with drivers for graphics and sound from original CDs, and no Internet, that way I'd know if it's something system related or not, easily, don't you think?

Well you could do that, but that would take more time.

Don't install graphic driver from original CDs though, definitely get updated ones from nvidia.com

Gamecollector wrote:

IMHO, just install Vista 32-bit as the second/guest OS (WinXp not supports your chipset/videocard) and try these games in it.

The demos he mentioned most definitely work in Windows 8.1 (haven't tested the full games though).

It's a hardware incompatibility problem (doubt it), a software setup problem or some compatibility fix I have installed that he does not (very unlikely).

Reply 13 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's very few games that crash for me, of the hundreds I've installed, and they're all around the year 2000-2002 era, curiously.

If I want easy I'll install a virtual XP machine with D3D support, but that's admitting defeat!

ZellSF, thanks for all the ideas. The parts of Windows I moved I did "properly" by following some online guides, so that I have things like TEMP folder, Desktop, Documents and a bunch more mapped to D: drive instead. I doubt that's causing the crashes.

I'm definitely going to look into the msconfig options, especially as I just noticed under the Boot tab > Advanced options... you can limit your number of processors and maximum memory; could rule out those things. I think it's a case of just trying piece-by-piece and seeing if anything gets there, with the XP virtual machine (most likely needed for some games anyway!) and re-installing Win8.1 on another drive to boot from as fallbacks.

Reply 14 of 16, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

If it's working to other people even on win7 64 bit, then OS is not the problem

Imo, he should try to monitor game calls with process monitor.
The last loaded files could pinpoint something

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 16 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay it now is fixed, from removing the USB cable to my H100i water cooler. However I did also need to apply the 3.5 patch, high-res textures patch and use nGlide (and it's 3Dfx patch), as my graphics card has too many resolutions so the game shows none in-game. Looks fine though.