VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could automate all of this and rip/compress the audio tracks from NSIS. That also solves the problem of the game's 16-bit installer. My NSIS script for Outlaws already does most of this. I could also patch the game with _inmm and edit the EXE to remove the CD check for CD-less play from the same installer script, all using the data from the user's CDs.

---

Not to pour gasoline on the recent Outlaws "patch" posts or to denigrate the work that swede1872 did, but I updated my replacement installer for the game. My first version provided a 32-bit replacement for the 16-bit installer that shipped with the game. It addressed the corrupted colors and included the official patches. It did not support CD-less play.

The new version now allows for full hard drive install for CD-less play. While the original media are required to install the game, they are not required game play. It is patched to remove the CD check and to uses _inmm for the CD music. It will rip the CDA tracks and compress them for ingame music without the discs.

It does not include the extra customizations that swede1872 did.

New Outlaws Setup

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 16, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

You could automate all of this and rip/compress the audio tracks from NSIS. That also solves the problem of the game's 16-bit installer. My NSIS script for Outlaws already does most of this. I could also patch the game with _inmm and edit the EXE to remove the CD check for CD-less play from the same installer script, all using the data from the user's CDs.

You have an Outlaws install script? Geez, you have an install script for nearly everything! Anyways, if you did that it'd be pretty sweet.

PS: Thanks for the Starsiege installer. Made things easy. Mind if I link to it in a video with credit?

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 3 of 16, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:
Not to pour gasoline on the recent Outlaws "patch" posts or to denigrate the work that swede1872 did, but I updated my replaceme […]
Show full quote

Not to pour gasoline on the recent Outlaws "patch" posts or to denigrate the work that swede1872 did, but I updated my replacement installer for the game. My first version provided a 32-bit replacement for the 16-bit installer that shipped with the game. It addressed the corrupted colors and included the official patches. It did not support CD-less play.

The new version now allows for full hard drive install for CD-less play. While the original media are required to install the game, they are not required game play. It is patched to remove the CD check and to uses _inmm for the CD music. It will rip the CDA tracks and compress them for ingame music without the discs.

It does not include the extra customizations that swede1872 did.

New Outlaws Setup

Fantastic, thanks! I might just rebuy the game now and finally finish it.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 4 of 16, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of curiosity!

How are you combining the olgeo.lab or are you using a nameshifter?

How are you directing the sound from each CD without altering the MSC files? Otherwise you will only get music from CD 1 and the 2 first tracks from CD 2. Very curious? How did you hack lecmusic.dll? If you only are using the * hack in the MSC files you wont get in-game music if there is no CD drive available.

Ivan

By the way make sure you don't include any game files. You have to make them from the installed ones. Otherwise the moderator police will hit you bad. I myself am making a legal installer for my menu patch. coming this weekend. It's a pain in the ass making it though.

I think my in-game music patch is still around somewhere.

You should check out replaying.de. They have a nice installer for outlaws and some new legal stuff for outlaws. No abandonware though. Maybe something useful, one never know.

All one have to do is ask 😀

Reply 5 of 16, by Dyins2good4em

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Edit: I downloaded the most recent Winamp and gave the installer another shot. Works perfectly now!

=====

Glad to see an update to the patch, Collector! The previous version worked like a charm, but unfortunately I'm having issues with the new one.

When trying to run the game, I get an error saying that my computer is missing _inmm.dll?'

I also saw this during the installation:
Copy to C:\LucasArts\OutlawsOUTLAWS.DOC
Copy failed

Not sure if that's normal.

I did get a message telling me to install Winamp then reinstall the patch. Is Winamp truly necessary? I use Foobar or Windows Media Player. Is this why my install is screwy? Is there a way to play the music ingame with, say, WMP? I redownloaded your patch a second time, just in case, but I get the same problems.

Last edited by Dyins2good4em on 2015-02-27, 02:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is nothing that should have done that. The only thing that is not from LA is a couple of simple helper files I wrote in C#. OLWIN.EXE is patched with a no CD utility that predates UAC and both OLWIN.EXE & LECMUSIC.DLL are patched with _inmm. Beyond that _inmm, cdda2wav and lame for ripping, encoding and setting up the CDA tracks.

I just tested it on a couple of other machines and it did not touch UAC.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dyins2good4em wrote:

I did get a message telling me to install Winamp then reinstall the patch. Is Winamp truly necessary? I use Foobar or Windows Media Player. Is this why my install is screwy? Is there a way to play the music ingame with, say, WMP? I redownloaded your patch a second time, just in case, but I get the same problems.

Winamp definitely shouldn't be neccessary. _inmm supports directshow filters for playback without any external audio player.

Problem is finding a file type that XP+Win7+Win8 all have a directshow filter installed by for default, and if not then install it.

Reply 11 of 16, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Who talked about turning it down?

But not hearing the game sounds because the music is louder or vice versa can be an issue. Depends on what kind of mission.

Anyway volume is a very personal issue and i suspect he makes it for everybody.

Reply 12 of 16, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I asked collector on combining his installer with a portable install. I was going to release an installer for a portable version with his.

But its to easy finding outlaws portable on google so im not.

Besides that my ingame music no cd release makes it portable. Its around here on Vogons somewhere.

Happy Gaming folks!

Reply 13 of 16, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the installer. Sorry to say he has got some work to do.

1: No combined olgeo.lab. Meaning you still have to put cd2 in if you want to play historical mission or the whole main game.

2: No changes to the .msc files. Meaning only music from cd1 not from cd2 since it only asks for track 2-9 regardless of what cd is used. This can be changed in the .msc files.

3: It is buggy and hangs occasionally. _inmm and winamp i guess. I use a portable version of winmp in my patch and it works very well. The installed winaMP i messing with to much other stuff i think.

Nice installer though.

For the record. Collector is using my hack for lecmusic.dll. Rev 3.

Thats it from me guys.

Ivan

Reply 14 of 16, by thepistoleiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

please help me it's appear a mensage( cannot load _inmmserv.exe)please help me

EDIT:Now it's appearing another mensage(C:\LucasArts\Outlaws Game\track02.mp3 not found)please help me 😢

Reply 15 of 16, by Anryinvest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

'cause links are dead, i can't try. Does any of the mentioned solutions work under win95/98? Cause i want to make Outlaws works via DosBox+Win9x on all platforms(It works perfectly now for me but without music). If so, can you reupload downloads of Outlaws no-cd music patches.
Thanks!

Reply 16 of 16, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anryinvest wrote:

'cause links are dead, i can't try. Does any of the mentioned solutions work under win95/98? Cause i want to make Outlaws works via DosBox+Win9x on all platforms(It works perfectly now for me but without music). If so, can you reupload downloads of Outlaws no-cd music patches.
Thanks!

The download link was changed to http://sierrahelp.com/DL/OutlawsSetup.zip.php

You shouldn't need that installer on Win95/98. The game's original installer should run fine.

As for not having music, if you're using the Windows version, try renaming olwin.exe to something else and running the game with that.