VOGONS

Common searches

Pod Gold vs modern PC - 800x600 res?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know how to get the commercial release of Pod Gold to work in 800x600 res? I've tried various patches, adding lines to ubi.ini and the like, but it's always 640x480 res maximum (using nGlide or dgVoodoo). I know the in-game 800x600 option is never selectable, but even the ubi.ini thing does nothing for me.

Otherwise it works fine, I don't need to re-buy the GOG version! Just looking to get screenshots at best res the game did...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To enable 800x600 for 3DFX, go to ubi.ini in the C:/Windows/Ubisoft folder. Find the Displaymode value, or add it yourself under the [POD2_0] heading. Set it to Displaymode=6.

For PowerVR and Direct3D just press ALT+F7.

I've only tested this on:
- Win98 computer
- POD OEM patched to latest version (which when patched should be the same as POD Gold, except fewer cars/tracks).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried that line (and others) with both the initial CD Pod Gold, the 24MB patched version and after installing PodHacks 😒 on Win8.1 mind you. With either nGlide or dgVoodoo.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get the impression that the 800x600 option may have always been unavailable on real 3Dfx? Without the ini hack?

Reply 4 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is what POD Underground had on this topic:

After a lot of fiddling around with the UBI.INI file, and two hard resets, I can finally bring you a config that will allow you […]
Show full quote

After a lot of fiddling around with the UBI.INI file, and two hard resets, I can finally bring you a config that will allow you to run POD at 800x600 in GLiDE mode on your Voodoo2 and Voodoo2 SLI. I assume this will work on the Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3/4/5, but haven't tested it. It won't work on the Voodoo Graphics board, since that supported a maximum of 640x480, and I'm not sure about the Voodoo Rush.

But more than that, with the settings shown below, I can run POD directly from the EXE file, and the framerate is just fine. I'm running a Pentium II @ 400 Mhz and Voodoo2 SLI - And I used to have the slowdown/speed up problem on Parking and Road70 and one or two other tracks, but now it's fine.

Before I explain what to do, let me just say that you will be editing the UBI.INI file to enable 800x600 - So if you do try this out, you do so at your own risk, and - As with anything on this site - I cannot be held responsible for anything that might go wrong, and this may not even work on your system. With that said, here's what to do:

You MUST have either POD Gold or POD patched with the 24 MB 3Dfx patch. I am also running the GS-II Patch, I'm not sure if that will affect it or not.
Find your UBI.INI file, it should be in the [C:\WINDOWS\UBISOFT] folder, and MAKE A COPY OF IT.
Now open the UBI.INI file. If you found it using the Windows Explorer, just double-click the filename to open it in NotePAD.

Now we begin to change/add lines to the file. With each line shown below, first look for it in the UBI.INI file, and if you find it, change the value to match. If you don't find the line, then add it, typing it exactly as shown:
Under the [SYSTEM] heading, set the line MMX=1 if you have a Pentium MMX or Pentium II CPU.
Then, under the [POD2_0] heading, set the following lines:

SizeView=0
DisplayMode=6
ModeCameraSingle=6
BkGround=1

Close the file, and be sure to save the changes you just made.
Now run POD and see what happens. All the menus will still be in 640x480, but if it worked, when you start a race, you will see POD in 800x600. Of course, if POD is totally messed up, all you need to do is restore the copy of the UBI.INI file you took in Step 2, and everything should be back to normal.

I have tried this on my two Diamond Monster II 12MB boards, with and without SLI mode, with the Version 2.3 and Version 2.7 Diamond drivers (With GLIDE2X.DLL), and it works just fine. I have not tried it with the 3Dfx reference drivers, or on any other Voodoo2-based boards (Such as the Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3) and I haven't tried it with any other manufacturers boards either. I have seen posts on the various POD forums to the effect that this 800x600 trick does indeed work just fine on virtually any Voodoo2 based board. It doesn't seem to work correctly with Direct3D, but I believe it depends on exactly what D3D card you have.

Reply 5 of 7, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did try that. I found the 24MB patch seems to revert the game from Gold (with a second page of extra tracks) to standard (button to change to page 2 of tracks does nothing) :-p

Reply 6 of 7, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Anyone know how to get the commercial release of Pod Gold to work in 800x600 res? I've tried various patches, adding lines to ubi.ini and the like, but it's always 640x480 res maximum (using nGlide or dgVoodoo). I know the in-game 800x600 option is never selectable, but even the ubi.ini thing does nothing for me.

Otherwise it works fine, I don't need to re-buy the GOG version! Just looking to get screenshots at best res the game did...

i know this is 2 years late. but if you are using CD version, you can enable 800x600 with that displaymode=6 in c:\windows\ubisoft\ubi.ini, i assumed you done that, but did not enable compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3 on PODX3Dfx.exe? try that, it worked for me in windows 10. not sure why it would, but suddenly it managed to read changes in the ubi.ini. just don't use ALT+F7 in game because it will revert to 640x480 and you need to edit the ini again.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames