VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have experience with running the original release of Myst on Windows 98 (second edition)? The version I have is the Windows 3.1/MPC version. When I try to run it, I get an illegal operation blue screen. I tried installing a newer version of Quicktime than what came with the game, but it didn't help. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the original release and the 1996 release? I wondered if I might have better success with the 96 release.

Reply 1 of 7, by Wazzles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never had issues running the original version on 98. Just shit luck I guess? Masterpiece Edition is meant for 95-98, I'd give that a try instead. I've had good luck running the original version if DOSBox running 3.1

Reply 3 of 7, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
uniracers wrote:

Does anyone have experience with running the original release of Myst on Windows 98 (second edition)? The version I have is the Windows 3.1/MPC version. When I try to run it, I get an illegal operation blue screen. I tried installing a newer version of Quicktime than what came with the game, but it didn't help. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the original release and the 1996 release? I wondered if I might have better success with the 96 release.

If Myst doesn't work on Windows 98, it is most likely due to a QuickTime problem.
When a Windows game from the 1990's uses QuickTime, you usually need the exact version of QuickTime that shipped with the game.
QuickTime is not backwards compatible on PC's where games are concerned.
Myst for Windows 3.1/95 used QuickTime 2.
Myst Masterpiece from 1999 used QuickTime 3 or 4 (I forget which).

Reply 4 of 7, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can have multiple versions of QT installed at once, though. This is how I got the different versions to work in Win98/XP.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 5 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

You can have multiple versions of QT installed at once, though. This is how I got the different versions to work in Win98/XP.

How do you do that? Have the QuickTime files in the game's working directory?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 7, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was a 16bit and a 32bit version of quicktime you need both
Heres a16bit version
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/quicktime-2-1-2

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness