VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 64, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Same sh*t, different game: idol janshi suchie pai III (it uses directx 8.0a).
Modded d3d8.dll does nothing. Dgvoodoo2 doesn't support this game.

The included version of DirectX has nothing to do with which API the game uses. That game uses DirectDraw, so this:

UCyborg wrote:

Same problem exists with some games using older Direct3D versions since Windows 8, to fix those, you can use Compatibility Administrator and enable DXPrimaryEmulation shim for the game with -DisableMaxWindowedMode parameter. See this for details, post #66. Note that Compatibility Administrator linked there is the old version, use the one bundled with Windows 10 ADK.

There's another workaround mentioned in this thread too. See if you can find it. Also, it works fine in dgVoodoo2 in windowed mode if you uncheck "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state".

Myloch wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Why are you so sure it's a MS issue and not a driver issue or both?

MS and/or Intel should definitely fix this crap. 🙄 😜

They won't.

Edit: also should mention it works fine on my setup just so you know it's not a issue that affects everyone. I think it's either Microsoft or Intel's handling of hardware rotated displays.

Reply 41 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For anyone that has this issue try posting here:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/graph … r-bug-reporting

If it's not an Intel issue but a Windows issue but mostly only seen on devices where Intel cards are used then perhaps they could notify MS.

Post specs, use a easily available demo that shows the issue, etc

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 42 of 64, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

The included version of DirectX has nothing to do with which API the game uses. That game uses DirectDraw, so this...

oook...I first tested the game long ago and I retried again today: my brain played a trick on me and for some odd reason I treated it as a direct3d8 game. Both Dege's and Narzoul's solutions work. You won a beer.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 43 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed the link with precise instructions for disabling maximized windowed mode in DirectDraw with Compatibility Administrator is dead. If anyone's interested in the generic tutorial on how to use Compatibility Administrator.

Instead of downloading it from the link there, Windows 10 ADK must be downloaded. On the component selection screen, only Application Compatibility Tools is needed, then after installation Compatibility Administrator (32-bit) can be launched from the programs list, it's under Windows Kits->Windows ADK->Application Compatibility Toolkit->Developer and Tester Tools (though for those that use Windows 10's start menu, it may appear right under Windows Kits).

Then upon arrival on the Compatibility Fixes page on the wizard, DXPrimaryEmulation must be checked after which Parameters button may be clicked and -DisableMaxWindowedMode typed into Command line field.

ZellSF wrote:

There's another workaround mentioned in this thread too. See if you can find it.

Plus DxWnd.

ZellSF wrote:

Edit: also should mention it works fine on my setup just so you know it's not a issue that affects everyone. I think it's either Microsoft or Intel's handling of hardware rotated displays.

I haven't found the issue mentioned with relation to AMD or NVIDIA. I found this topic on Intel forums. It's from August 2017, before Win10 version 1809 was a thing.

realnc wrote:

From what I can see, the new mode is better than the old one. Why do people want to revert to the old one? I don't see any benefits. The new mode alllows faster alt+tab, and DWM gets out of the way, meaning it's not borderless windowed. It IS fullscreen, just... better. You can even use vsync OFF if you want, unlike borderless where you get DWM vsync.

I don't see what you see. I don't see any significant difference in speed of alt-tabbing, it's pretty snappy either way (unless there's a problem with a specific game?). DWM doesn't get out of the way with the new mode, its VSync is still forced on top, regardless of game's VSync setting. Unless there are changes in Insider Builds and you're using one of them?

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 45 of 64, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote:

I haven't found the issue mentioned with relation to AMD or NVIDIA. I found this topic on Intel forums. It's from August 2017, before Win10 version 1809 was a thing.

Disabling maximized windowed mode in Compatibility Administrator did the trick.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 46 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:

Disabling maximized windowed mode in Compatibility Administrator did the trick.

I guessed it would, since you reported success with DDrawCompat.

lowenz wrote:

And the brightness/contrast control?

It should work regardless for D3D8, though in older builds, extra compatibility shim had to be enabled for it to work in maximized windowed mode.

lowenz wrote:

EDIT: tested now UT2004 and with the MS D3D8 VSync is NOT working as expected (no limit to FPS)

With maximized windowed mode, it's unconditionally applied on the DWM side, which has control over the screen, so it can't affect game's rendering speed.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 47 of 64, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UCyborg wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

There's another workaround mentioned in this thread too. See if you can find it.

Plus DxWnd.

That was what I was referring too. Just didn't want to mention it directly, because if he couldn't find it I didn't want to be the one helping a guy who has problems reading two pages of information (this topic) use a program with 15 tabs of options.

Not that you need any of those options for the game he mentioned, it pretty much works out of the box with DxWnd.

Reply 48 of 64, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote:
Myloch wrote:
It should work regardless for D3D8, though in older builds, extra compatibility shim had to be enabled for it to work in maximiz […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

And the brightness/contrast control?

It should work regardless for D3D8, though in older builds, extra compatibility shim had to be enabled for it to work in maximized windowed mode.

lowenz wrote:

EDIT: tested now UT2004 and with the MS D3D8 VSync is NOT working as expected (no limit to FPS)

With maximized windowed mode, it's unconditionally applied on the DWM side, which has control over the screen, so it can't affect game's rendering speed.

Thanks, man!

So we can you the DWM to solve the tearing and a rendering speed limiter to avoid the issues related to a very high framerate (tipically physics issues/engine quirks)?

Reply 49 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

That was what I was referring too.

Oops, sorry, I mixed it up...actually wanted to say DDrawCompat. Yes, I agree, people should read stuff before asking further questions. In some instances, you even see them creating a new topic with a similar title as the one that's already visible on the first page of the subforum.

ZellSF wrote:

So we can you the DWM to solve the tearing and a rendering speed limiter to avoid the issues related to a very high framerate (tipically physics issues/engine quirks)?

Yes, that's possible.

Also, some interesting reading: https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/

While there's always a bit of overhead if DWM is active on the screen where the game is rendered, the real issue here is that MS is taking away user choice and breaking contract on the API level that was established years ago.

Reply 50 of 64, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Just didn't want to mention it directly, because if he couldn't find it I didn't want to be the one helping a guy who has problems reading two pages of information (this topic) use a program with 15 tabs of options.

UCyborg wrote:

people should read stuff before asking further questions. In some instances, you even see them creating a new topic with a similar title as the one that's already visible on the first page of the subforum.

Ok guys, you've made your point: I'm sorry if I sounded like a noob. 😢

Reply 51 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, don't take this the wrong way. I'm glad we figured it out in the end. Truthfully, DxWnd was mentioned in a sort of BTW kinda way.

Reply 52 of 64, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone got any of the newer Celeron / Atom chips (N3xxx and N4xxx series) and can report whether or not the problem is still around? I ask as the people (me included) who have had lots of full screen issues are on older Baytrail chips. I'm thinking of "upgrading" my netbook to something newer with the N3xxx or N4xxxx CPU.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 53 of 64, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UCyborg wrote:

Why nobody said anything?? The patch for Win10 version 1809 was effectively ineffective because the exclusive fullscreen functionality has been removed from d3d8.dll, just a Direct3D8EnableMaximizedWindowedModeShim function that changes the phantom variable is still there. I have removed the Build 17763 DLL from the ZIP archive. As of this writing, the DLL from Build 17134 can still be used to get real fullscreen back, but that could change with future builds.

About May update (1903)?

Reply 54 of 64, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested the 17763 DLL on the May 2019 Update with Unreal 227j (WIP oldunreal patch) and the old D3D8 renderer

*VSync working right (On/Off working) with the 17763 DLL; with the not tweaked (original) version is always Off (as expected)
*Renderer native framelimiter has a strange behaviour (cap @75 -> 32 FPS in game) with OR without the tweaked DLL but maybe it's due to the oldunreal devs implementation

Reply 55 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Tested the 17763 DLL

Did you mean patched 17134 DLL? Because 17763 DLL has the actual code for classic fullscreen removed.

Reply 57 of 64, by csqn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I just registered on this forum to say a big THANK YOU for your modified DLL as it is pretty much the only feasible way I can get DX8 games running properly on my device (Lenovo D330-10IGM 2-in-1). Normally, a big chunk of the screen would be missing and/or the game would be displayed sideways since the Windows would not respect proper screen orientation for games using d3d8.dll and ddraw.dll. I have been searching for a solution sporadically for a few months, but I did not have an luck so far (I discovered dgVoodoo2 a few weeks ago, but the integrated UHD 605 GPU appears to be too weak for proper DX11 gaming).

I can also confirm that the latest patched d3d8.dll works flawlessly (as far as I can tell visually) with the latest 1903 Windows build, Intel N5000 CPU with integrated UHD 605 GPU (latest 26.20.100.7212 drivers). Games tested (so far): C&C Generals, Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology. I think we have a reasonable chance that it will continue working nicely with the 1909 update since it does not appear a lot of major changes are planned compared to 1903.

UCyborg wrote:

I noticed the link with precise instructions for disabling maximized windowed mode in DirectDraw with Compatibility Administrator is dead.

The linked post is still available on the WayBack Machine. 😀

EDIT:
At the end of my post I previously reported how I still have problems running DirectDraw games, but I managed to fix most of them by using the experimental version of ddraw-compat (as opposed to the latest "stable" which didn't work for me).

Reply 58 of 64, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone tested the 17134 DLL on any current insider versions? Windows 10 version 2004 comes out soon.

Reply 59 of 64, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that if you copy that file in game folder (NOT windows\system32) it can works with all windows 10 versions

I think that all feedback into feedback official app about this problem are vanished...

(remember that this problem happen also in Windows 8/8.1)