VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I have the Steam version of Riven but I had heard it was buggy (have they at least switched the sound inputs to what they're supposed to be?) and is missing things like transitions. So, I heard some advice and tried the other alternative, installing it from the original CDs. Well, what I found was that the installer was just too old for Windows 7 64 bit to make a go of it despite compatibility layers.

I don't want to give up trying to playing Riven as I remember it, can I fix the installer, get a new installer that will do the work, or what? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone on Reddit suggests that the latest bleeding-edge-not-at-all-official versions of ScummVM are now capable of running Riven. So, there's an option, if you're feeling daring.

At the moment GOG.com has the game on sale for a little more than two bucks. I understand it's not the same as the Steam version, and it ought to install fine.

But Riven is an extremely well-regarded game, and I'm sure someone out there has come up with a solution already. If all else fails, you can probably set up a virtual machine in VMware instead.

Reply 2 of 6, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Someone on Reddit suggests that the latest bleeding-edge-not-at-all-official versions of ScummVM are now capable of running Riven. So, there's an option, if you're feeling daring.

At the moment GOG.com has the game on sale for a little more than two bucks. I understand it's not the same as the Steam version, and it ought to install fine.

But Riven is an extremely well-regarded game, and I'm sure someone out there has come up with a solution already. If all else fails, you can probably set up a virtual machine in VMware instead.

By the time I read the post, the sale had ended and it is now back up to $6. I don't want to repurchase Riven for a third time. From what I have heard, the ScummVM version of Riven is still pretty glitchy but I'll give it a go.

Reply 3 of 6, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I bought the whole Myst bundle from that GoG sale. Myst III and IV are missing though.

As for using original Riven CDs, have you tried one of these suggestions mentioned here?
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/279352-R … 7-64-bit-Forums

I would rather try to run it under Win98 on virtual machine (or via PCEm) though because of I don't want to deal with Quicktime hassles.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 6, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Original works fine in WINE (Never needed to bother with the Steam version) as long as the exact version of quicktime is used from the CD.

I did manage to find this from somewhere (repects due to the person who did it Needs to be installed in XP first)

I opened two Explorer windows: one showing my Program Files\Riven\data folder, and the other showing the Data folder of CD 1.

- I copied the MHK file(s) from CD 1's data folder to the computer's data folder.

- I similarly copied the MHK files from the other CDs' data folders to the one data folder on the computer.

- I opened the riven.cfg file (Program Files\Riven) in an editor. About half way down is a comment that says "Data file sets". There are groups of *spit. Each has its own "Disc =" a number line. For every one of those, I changed the number to 0. That's it for Riven. It worked fine on the XP machine without the CDs.

Transfer to the Windows 7 machine

I moved the Riven folder from the XP machine to a USB device (I didn't have a big enough memory stick, so I used... my camera's memory!) and from the USB device to Program Files\Riven on the Windows 7 machine. Export Registry settings from xp to 7

Install the ancient QuickTime

I viewed CD 1 on the Windows 7 machine, drilling down into QTWSETUP\WIN32\CUSTOM.

I ran QT32INST.EXE and selected Install and Start. It fails with "QuickTime for Windows has stopped working." I selected "Close Program".

I restarted the same QT32INST.EXE program and selected Complete and Start. It, too, fails. But stuff is being or has been installed.

I restarted and selected Skip and Skip All. (Is it checking for newer versions of the QuickTime pieces? Is that what's failing?) Skipping let me get a new Install button, and I progress, obtaining the desireable "red filmstrip" style progress bar and then a message of success.

By golly, my old Riven now works on my new Windows 7, 64 bit machine.

Hope it helps. i have never had any need to do it

Reply 5 of 6, by pseudo3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I do have a Windows XP installation on an older computer but I may be able to use Virtual PC from Microsoft with my XP CD that I have, then install it that way. The old versions of QuickTime give me more pause though. I did manage to get WingNuts running (which was crashing because of a lack of QuickTime) through QuickTime Alternative (and it sounds GREAT), so I assume that Riven might be the same way?

Reply 6 of 6, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also thought about QT Alternative then, but a user reported that it didn't work with original releases of Myst and Riven:
http://forums-de.ubi.com/showthread.php/59766 … -Problem-Forums

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)