VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I have asked for help here a few times before, and while I mostly try to solve problems by myself, in this occasion I've unfortunately run into a dead end and so I'm asking here as a last resort. 😢

Out of a list of about 100 old games (Windows 95/98), I've managed to run most of them. I'm now left with 8 games that I can't get to work.

- Idinaloq (Japanese shmup)
- Interstate '82
- Beach Head 2000
- Counter Blow (Korean RTS, similar to Command & Conquer)
- PC Fútbol 2000 (Spanish soccer game)
- Buggy (Team Losi RC Racer)
- PC Atletismo 2000 (Spanish athletics game)
- Snow Wave Avalanche/Snowboard Racer

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit, my GPU is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti, and I have the latest nGlide and dgVoodoo wrappers installed.

If anyone knows these games and how to get them to run, I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you very much in advance, and my deepest apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited by marianoryu on 2016-06-28, 00:26. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Starting with Idinaloq...

Make sure you're using 102a (available on the developer's site). Run it in WinXP compatibility mode. Run it under DxWnd with "Forces HEL" selected in the Direct3D tab. Seems to work fine here (Win10, you didn't specify what you were using).

Reply 2 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I82 is only lesser known because the fans try to forget that it ever existed. 😀

(that's a Direct3D game btw, and IIRC Directsound plays a part in its instability instead)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beach Head 2000 uses GDI interaction in a weird way, the best tools we have to deal with this (ddrawcompat and DxWnd) are not working (you can get the game going, but UI text is unreadable). I would just wait and see for any GDI compatibility fixes on either of those projects. Maybe submitting bug reports to them will speed up the process. Personally would just set up a VM or emulator for this. Or if you really have a lot of time: dualboot with Win7.

Reply 5 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Buggy: Use DxWnd for menus, dgVoodoo2 for 3Dfx accelerated gameplay. Not sure you really want to play this over just emulating the PSX version though, it seems like a terrible port. I thought it had CDDA issues, but my Win95 DOSBox setup does the same thing so...

Reply 6 of 14, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all responses so far - I haven't been able to get to it yet but I should be testing all suggestions between today and tomorrow, and will report back.

ZellSF wrote:

Buggy: Use DxWnd for menus, dgVoodoo2 for 3Dfx accelerated gameplay. Not sure you really want to play this over just emulating the PSX version though, it seems like a terrible port. I thought it had CDDA issues, but my Win95 DOSBox setup does the same thing so...

I am aware that there's the PSX version - I can't say I have ever played it, but if this fails I will definitely be emulating it. It's that my disc has always worked perfectly in every other system and I never encountered this problem before.

Reply 7 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a problem with Nvidia's drivers, that's where it crashes. you can disabled threaded optimization in Nvidia driver settings to fix that, but I found menu/gameplay transitions to be very buggy without DxWnd.

Reply 9 of 14, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Buggy and I82 aren't working.

Buggy won't even load - it crashes as soon as I try to run it from DxWnd.

I82 starts, but crashes when trying to start a mission.

I got one of the Spanish games working with DxWnd so that's another down, and 6 to go (5 if I decide to just emulate the Buggy PSX version).

Reply 10 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Buggy shouldn't crash... we should have fairly similar setups. Except I only have access to a 580 on this setup. Hmm, try using DxWnd and checking "Limit available resources" on the "Compat." tab. Also, did you try disabling threaded optimization in Nvidia settings? Where does it crash? Does Windows write anything in the event log?

Reply 11 of 14, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Buggy shouldn't crash... we should have fairly similar setups. Except I only have access to a 580 on this setup. Hmm, try using DxWnd and checking "Limit available resources" on the "Compat." tab. Also, did you try disabling threaded optimization in Nvidia settings? Where does it crash? Does Windows write anything in the event log?

No, I admit I haven't checked that.

It crashes upon starting the executable file, without anything in the event log.

I have, however, emulated its PSX version and Team Losi RC Racer both so no worries.

I also got I82 working so that's another less to worry about.

Will report back as soon as I'm done with Buggy (if not today, tomorrow at latest). I will also take the time to set up the Virtual PC (I will try Windows 95 through DOSBox, as I have done it before).

Reply 12 of 14, by marianoryu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still no luck, but never mind - as I have both the European Buggy and the American Team Losi RC Racer PSX games emulated it's rather pointless now.

In more good news, I got another one working (Counter-Blow) and setting up the Virtual PC worked for Beach Head 2000 (even with Windows 95 in DOSBox!) also, so that leaves two to go.

Reply 13 of 14, by Goldfire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marianoryu wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I also got I82 working so that's another less to worry about.

Are you able to give us information on how you got Interstate 82 working? I have the same problem of the game starting and then crashing when trying to start a mission or multiplayer.

I've tried the usual fixes like renaming to i82stubz.exe and different versions/settings on vgVoodoo and dxwnd. I'm using Windows 10 x64.

Reply 14 of 14, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snow Wave Avalanche, another spanish game, works fine in Windows 10 64-bit + dgVoodoo. Dege corrected a font error time ago. But the music doesnt seems to work and it isnt compatible with _inmm. Anyway, it doesnt fit really well with the game.

Here are some shots with that setup + dgVoodoo WIP25.

SnowWave%2525202016-08-03%25252022-32-32-63.jpg

SnowWave%2525202016-08-03%25252022-33-47-38.jpg

IIRC Buggy was re-released in Steam like a year ago, it should work fine i guess.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379340/Buggy/

EDIT: NVM, it is the PS game bundled with emulator, 🤣.