VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, the monitor screen resolution for this game was originally 640 x 480. Monitor is 1280 x 800, if it plays in 1280, the screen looks distorted, does anyone else who uses LCD monitor widescreen has the same problem as mine?

The fixed aspect ratio might work, but I was wondering if anyone else who has the same problem as mine.

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends on the monitor and if it has a choice of resampling. I'm guessing the Windows section implies Battle.net edition which is eternally stuck in 640x480 anyway, and maybe directdraw can be wrapped to a wrapper that can handle aspect correct 2D scaling, like DXGL or dgVoodoo2 (never tried this myself however)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everybody will have the same problem as you. If you stretch content to fit into a box with a different aspect ratio, it will look, well, stretched. 😀 The alternative, as you said, is to enable some sort of fixed aspect ratio setting (in the application or the GPU driver or the monitor), to preserve the original aspect with black bars filling the extra space.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is aspect ratio the problem? Because your graphic card drivers or monitor drivers should offer options for that.

Is the problems scaling artifacts? Too blurry an image? Black bars on the top and bottom?

Do you intend to play multiplayer (battle.net uses some GDI interaction which some wrappers won't like)?

Reply 4 of 9, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok guys, compare these pictures.

This is NVIDIA scale.
206y4pt.jpg

This is NVIDIA scale with fixed-aspect ratio.
2rcpsox.jpg

No scale. I think this one was the original scale, but it looks so small. I don't think the monitor during the DOS era was that small.
jb3h29.jpg

Reply 5 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote:

Ok guys, compare these pictures.

What's there to compare? It's obvious. 😀

Stretch, aspect, and 1:1 - the 3 most common options for dealing with different aspect resolutions. Well, there is also "zoom and crop", but that's hardly suitable for video games. 😀

Muz wrote:

I don't think the monitor during the DOS era was that small.

It's not about the monitor, but about the resolution. CRTs could stretch any resolution to the full screen size. LCDs have fixed pixel size. So if you want 1:1 pixel mapping for a lower resolution, it's going to be a small window.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote:

So my solution is to buy new monitor with 1024 x 768 for perfect gaming?

I don't think it's going to look substantially better than fixed-aspect-ratio on your current monitor.

Reply 8 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the time of warcraft 2 (1995?) the common CRT monitors could switch to a multitude of resolutions (like 640x480).
Laptop screens and flatscreens have a single preset resolution, so the graphics card driver or monitor has to use some kind of scaling/stretching, or just center the image as in your last photo.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see what's wrong with any of the pictures you posted. Again, are there scaling artifacts? Is the image too blurry?

There are workarounds (that do not work for all games) too make games sharper or smoothen out more artifacts that can be utilized with higher resolution monitors yes, but I would go for minimum 1920x1080. If you can pick up a used 1920x1200 monitor for cheap (they're expensive now) that would also be perfect for DOS games.