VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to coax Asterix The Gallic War (from 2000) to work on Windows 10, it is a DirectX 7 game I believe, it almost works using DGVoodoo2, but frustratingly every time I start the game I get an error "Failed to get mouse". I can click "OK" to this and start the game but mouse control is needed for the strategy part.

I tried the old NoDTToDITMouseBatch fix but didn't make a difference, anything else I could try?

Last edited by BuckoA51 on 2017-08-10, 12:52. Edited 1 time in total.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 1 of 6, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dgVoodoo has a "Capture mouse" checkbox on its main tab. I think that it might be checked by default, but you could maybe try unchecking it. It probably won't help, but it's something to try. Of course, also try 98 or XP compatibility mode, but you probably already have.

Reply 3 of 6, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might try a few of the compatibility settings that I don't believe that you're able to set on the compatibility tab.

Open regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and give the path to the game's executable these settings:

DISABLETHEMES DISABLEDWM

A few of my games from that era have those settings, so it's something to try.

Reply 5 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird coincidence, I just tried getting that to work in Windows 10 a few days ago. It seemed to work fine with DxWnd, have you tried that?

I couldn't get it going ingame with dgVoodoo2... I should try again.

Reply 6 of 6, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stumbled across the fix by chance...

You need to install dgVoodoo2 then copy the "Asterixstart.exe" file from the root of the games CD into the "Exec" sub-folder within the games directory (D:\Program Files (x86)\Infogrames\Asterix\Exec on my PC).

Once in there, run it and set your video card options to point to dgvoodoo directX wrapper and then choose "Play", game will run just fine then.

Running it via the shortcut (which points to Asterix.exe") always gives me the same "failed to get mouse" error, the game must be run via the launcher.

I've no idea why...

play-old-pc-games.com