VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got the DotEmu version of Sanitarium, previously only seen on Steam, via my Twitch Prime subscription. (I should note it's also available for purchase through Twitch.) However, I've been noticing some abnormalities with the game:

• The audio has a tendency to skip momentarily or, in the case of dialogue, skip a single section of dialogue as though I'd clicked to skip it.
  • The game softlocks at certain points, disabling control of the character and the ability to go the main menu, without any means of re-enabling them.

I've tried Pixeto's patch, but it seems to cause the issues it aims to fix. However, I'm not blaming this patch - it seems like it was made for the original game engine, not whatever system DotEmu is using, which incorporates SDL2 among other things.

While I've been able to fix the audio issue by swapping out the OpenAL version included with the latest stable Soft OpenAL version, I haven't been able to solve the softlocks at this point. This is frustrating as the game is now constantly softlocking when I try to pick up the cross in Chapter 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have managed to make it run reasonably well, but that was from the original game. Without knowing what DotEmu has done to it I can't say. The only thing I can think off hand is to try killing Explorer, first.

ScummVM was working on this title, but I doubt it is playable, yet.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 2, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

I have managed to make it run reasonably well, but that was from the original game. Without knowing what DotEmu has done to it I can't say. The only thing I can think off hand is to try killing Explorer, first.

ScummVM was working on this title, but I doubt it is playable, yet.

Life got in the way, but I was finally able to try out the explorer.exe fix. Sure enough, all the issues have dissapeared! No modification required other than a BAT file to automate the stopping and starting of Explorer.

Thanks, Collector!