VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mkubiak402

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows XP Activation how long till we can't?

So the hole deal with Windows XP and Activation over the internet i am assuming there is going to be a point where we just cant activate it over the internet or my Phone any more so when that happens what can we do? Will they release a final we don't support this any more here is a no Key patch have at it..?

DOS 6.22 FIC-486-VIP-IO AM486-DX2 66Mhz 64mg
Win98se MS-5169 AMD K6-III+ 450 @ 550Mhz 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win98se GA-6VXE7+ Intel Pentium III 750 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win XP MS-6712 AMD Athlon Xp 2700+ 2gb 6600GT

Reply 2 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkubiak402 wrote:

Will they release a final we don't support this any more here is a no Key patch have at it..?

Ha, no chance! This is the company that successfully sued someone last year for selling reproduced XP OEM cd's. No keys, just the locked down OEM CD requiring the user to still activate.
I'm actually surprised it still works and they haven't simply said "no longer supported" may have forced more people to upgrade back in 2016.

Activation hacks already exist and volume licence gets around the whole issue all together whenever MS decide to pull the plug

Reply 5 of 13, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once I read the EULA of XP. There was a paragraph saying that whenever Microsoft decides to drop the activation process, they will provide customers a way to keep using the system. So don't worry, they'll release some kind of activation tool, or an official activation-killing update.

Or at least they promised to do so.

But I think that XP activation will continue to work at least for a couple of years.

Reply 6 of 13, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They will tell you old installs will keep working but not new installs. So you get to keep using the system until it gets corrupted and that's it.
That or they will make you call in for activation hoping nobody will bother being on hold for 3 hours to do it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 13, by kainiakaria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

They will tell you old installs will keep working but not new installs. So you get to keep using the system until it gets corrupted and that's it.
That or they will make you call in for activation hoping nobody will bother being on hold for 3 hours to do it.

We could always use registry hacks but it be best we don't talk about that here.

Reply 8 of 13, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:

Once I read the EULA of XP. There was a paragraph saying that whenever Microsoft decides to drop the activation process, they will provide customers a way to keep using the system. So don't worry, they'll release some kind of activation tool, or an official activation-killing update.

Or at least they promised to do so.

I doubt that paragraph exists and if it did, the people who wrote it were as serious about it as the ones who wrote in the iTunes EULA that it shouldn't be used to develop nuclear weapons.

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:
Ha, no chance! This is the company that successfully sued someone last year for selling reproduced XP OEM cd's. No keys, just th […]
Show full quote
mkubiak402 wrote:

Will they release a final we don't support this any more here is a no Key patch have at it..?

Ha, no chance! This is the company that successfully sued someone last year for selling reproduced XP OEM cd's. No keys, just the locked down OEM CD requiring the user to still activate.
I'm actually surprised it still works and they haven't simply said "no longer supported" may have forced more people to upgrade back in 2016.

Activation hacks already exist and volume licence gets around the whole issue all together whenever MS decide to pull the plug

They did?

Why?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Microsoft vs. Recycler article
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/201 … u-s-government/

The guy isn't a hero. Read the docs it's all there. Example: In one he commens how accurate the counterfeit is and in another he complains about the charges against him by stating that the copies aren't exact reproductions. If the discs had no value then why did he spend so much money on them?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Re: Microsoft vs. Recycler article
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/201 … u-s-government/

The guy isn't a hero. Read the docs it's all there. Example: In one he commens how accurate the counterfeit is and in another he complains about the charges against him by stating that the copies aren't exact reproductions. If the discs had no value then why did he spend so much money on them?

He is clearly not a hero 🤣
Just a counterfeiter.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 13, by SmokyWhisky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One word (an acronym): SLP. It means System Locked Preinstallation.

little edit to clarify: the system needs not to have been literally provided preinstalled for you (needs not include any OEM crapware) as long as you can get untouched OEM XP installation media somehow, and this way you don't need to use any possibly questionable code that did not come from Microsoft to activate, though at this point XP already isn't that secure of an OS regardless and you may need to edit your BIOS or trust a 3rd party anyway...