VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a super new system, it's a 2.4Ghz Core-2-Duo with a GT430 graphics card and Windows XP Pro, SP3. However, even so, I've run into problems running some older games, at least in hardware accelerated mode, probably because of the graphics card/drivers, so I've become a little leery about getting older games working.

I long ago bought Descent: Freespace, bundled with the Silent Threat expansion, however I never actually got around to playing it.

I'm aware that there is a source port for Freespace II, but what about the first game? Is there something similar? If so, can someone point me to a step by step guide for getting the game up and running?

Reply 4 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:

The game works flawlessly from WinXP. Just update to 1.06 and enjoy the masterpiece, no mods are required. This would give you 640x480 for Direct3D or 3Dfx Glide in full-screen.

Is that the highest resolution supported? I was kind of hoping I could go a little higher.

Reply 5 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rekrul wrote:

Is that the highest resolution supported? I was kind of hoping I could go a little higher.

Yes, that's the only resolution supported by the game in 3D hardware rendering. If you prefer higher resolution, then you need to use Glide wrappers to play the game in 3Dfx Glide or check out the source port.

Freespace 2 supports native 1024x768 with addition of high resolution graphics assets. Freespace 2 in 1024x768 is gorgeous!

Reply 6 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:

Yes, that's the only resolution supported by the game in 3D hardware rendering. If you prefer higher resolution, then you need to use Glide wrappers to play the game in 3Dfx Glide...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but using a wrapper to increase the resolution won't increase the game's internal resolution, right? I mean, the game will still be drawing the visuals at 640x480 and the wrapper will just be scaling them up?

kjliew wrote:

...or check out the source port.

A source port for Freespace 1? Or do you mean the one for Freespace 2?

Reply 7 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rekrul wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but using a wrapper to increase the resolution won't increase the game's internal resolution, right? I mean, the game will still be drawing the visuals at 640x480 and the wrapper will just be scaling them up?

Yes.

Rekrul wrote:

A source port for Freespace 1? Or do you mean the one for Freespace 2?

I believe the source port supports the missions/campaigns from both versions. I could be wrong though, as I had never played with source port.

Reply 8 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

buy freespace 2
install it
go here
http://www.hard-light.net
follow the instructions
eg:
install the knossos mod manager
install the following mods in this order
https://imgur.com/a/ipXVy53

63JinxZ.jpg

Rekrul wrote:
teleguy wrote:

Does this improve the graphics or compatibility?

improves compatibility and massively improves graphics
and supports any resolution you want unlike the original game (640x480)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
edit: slight mistake […]
Show full quote

edit:
slight mistake

install retail fs2 then the launcher then 2 onwards

ps: Freespace 1 + 2 are two of the best space sims ever made

Thank you for the information.

I'll need to get a copy of Freespace II as I only have the first one.

One more question; Once I have everything installed via the launcher, can I just archive the whole directory in case I need/want to re-install it later? I'm a big believer in making local backup copies just in case the online sources should ever go down.

Reply 11 of 16, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:
Thank you for the information. […]
Show full quote
Davros wrote:
edit: slight mistake […]
Show full quote

edit:
slight mistake

install retail fs2 then the launcher then 2 onwards

ps: Freespace 1 + 2 are two of the best space sims ever made

Thank you for the information.

I'll need to get a copy of Freespace II as I only have the first one.

One more question; Once I have everything installed via the launcher, can I just archive the whole directory in case I need/want to re-install it later? I'm a big believer in making local backup copies just in case the online sources should ever go down.

If you buy it on GOG you can download the installer and make a backup.

https://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2

Reply 12 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes you can make a backup launcher can be installed into main freespace 2 folder eg: f:\games\freespace 2\Launchers\Knossos\
Remember to back up the registry entries for the launcher + freespace 2
ps: the launcher supports nearly 100 mods so you wont run out of things to play

Reply 13 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

Remember to back up the registry entries for the launcher + freespace 2

The source port and the launcher both use the registry? I hate when freeware programs do that as it makes it more trouble to make a complete backup, versus just archiving the directory, INI files included.

Davros wrote:

ps: the launcher supports nearly 100 mods so you wont run out of things to play

This may be a dumb question, but...

In the past I've seen/heard of mods to make the game into Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, etc. Are these just sets of assets (models, textures, sound effects, etc) and then people make single, stand-alone missions using these assets, or have people written full-length single-player campaigns using them?

In other words, is there one big package that you can install and you have a 10-20 mission Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica game to play, complete with its own story? Or do you install the assets, then download largely unrelated missions that you play separately?

Reply 14 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry knossos doesnt store info in the registry, freespace 2 retail does though
babylon 5, diaspora, battlestar galactica beyond the redline, wing commander saga are stand alone and do not require freespace 2

"In other words, is there one big package that you can install and you have a 10-20 mission Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica game to play, complete with its own story?" - YES

tip: when starting a new mod create a new pilot, dont use your pilot from another mod

Reply 15 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
Sorry knossos doesnt store info in the registry, freespace 2 retail does though babylon 5, diaspora, battlestar galactica beyond […]
Show full quote

Sorry knossos doesnt store info in the registry, freespace 2 retail does though
babylon 5, diaspora, battlestar galactica beyond the redline, wing commander saga are stand alone and do not require freespace 2

"In other words, is there one big package that you can install and you have a 10-20 mission Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica game to play, complete with its own story?" - YES

tip: when starting a new mod create a new pilot, dont use your pilot from another mod

Thanks for the info. It may be a while before I do anything with it, as I'm sick now and don't feel like doing much of anything.

Reply 16 of 16, by s997863

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you like very high-res ships, like the ones in the cutscenes, then you can install the Freespace-Port for Freespace-2 open-source mod.
If you prefer the old plain nebulae over the ones in Freespace-2, then you should play Freespace-1 original.
If you're playing the original, either use a real 3dfx card and choose "glide" in 3d options, or emulate it with latest Nglide version. Because the ship-lights won't work otherwise: in the first mission, you can see the "Orf" cruiser, right? Does it have lots of bright white lights like windows? then you're ok! If those lights get bright/dark with the rest of the 3d model, then it looks ugly.