VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NiGHTSaturn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

After years of trying to figure out how I could re-experience some of my favorite old games, purchasing computers I thought were going to be enough to do so but never was able to recreate the true sounds of an OPL3 SoundBlaster card, I decided to finally post on the forum.

It's been about 9 years since this video was posted, and it still makes me want to do something similar.
https://youtu.be/AodEt-MfDKo

I mostly play 2D games, like D.R.O.D. and some educational games that I want my nephew to experience as well.

I tried to install Windows 95 on DOSBox, but it's giving me error messages... So i'm not off to a good start.
Would be amazing to also finally find a clear guide on how I could recreate an OPL3 sound through a Windows virtual machine like in the attached video.

Thank you! Any help is incredibly appreciated!

Félix

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't run Win95 in DOSBox. It's not supported. It never was supported. That youtuber misleading with this "OPL3 player" of an illegally modified Windows 95 bootleg should be disregarded.

This guide may give a better, less embarrassing idea.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My opinion is similar here. While I got Win95 to run on DOSBox once, it took time and wasn't exactly stable or smooth.
In addition, not all releases of Win95 behaved the same. The program leileilol mentioned is much better for this.
Anyway, if you have got trouble and reach a dead end - just try Win 3.1x or Win 3.0 MME with Sound Blaster Pro 2 or 16 drivers.
They can be used as a simple OPL3 MIDI players, too, since each of it also has got a Media Player included.

(Plus, original 3.1 disk sets pop up comparably often on online auctions or on flea market, car boot sales, etc;
WfW 3.11 is even bundled with MS-DOS 6.2x usually, which no fan of old computers should miss in its collection.)

Some guides for them are available here:

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide
Set up a Win311-DOSBox system in less than one minute
Guide: How to run Windows 3.0 Multimedia Edition in DOSBox

Last but not least, SEAL/2 also has got an OPL3 MIDI player built-in.
It's simple and may sound not exactly the same as Windows with Voyetra SuperSAPI synth, but maybe it is good enough for you. 😀
See http://sealsystem.sourceforge.net/ for more information.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Emulated Windows 9X is really iffy at best. If you don't want major headaches, find an early 2000's PC with an AGP slot, a cheap TNT2 and you should be good to go.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870