VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vidman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get Sierra Trophy Rivers running well. It installs fine (windows 7) but the game clock runs too fast as do the actual fishing and fish movements. Sounds and casting seem ok, but the strike, moving the boat, etc goes wayyyy too fast. Anyone have a fix for this?

Reply 2 of 6, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i would try DXWnd, you can limit the framerate in a very nice way without to eat up your machines power.
limit ram, cheat direct-x version, apply fixes for special dx versions, hook open gl, hook glide, trick shaders...........................
Probably it already has a fix in it's database for this game.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

lets take a brief look in the database
no, but a 1111 other game fixes 😀
1111 dammit!

i can't list all here but dudes it solves a lot of problems with one single program to use.
It can be tediuos to find the right settings especially if you are new to DXWnd, it will take half a year or so until you get compfortable with it but it's a very cool tool.

Probably you will use a previous release for win7, i had very good results with it on win7.

if you're not sure ask me, probably i have the old release on my hd, it's a little less complicated to use as the recent build.

Readme - release notes Well, it seems that the release notes became too long to stay in a single web page of the SF portal: every new update is showing only the first lines, so that all new added lines are not visible. So I redirect you to the readme-relnotes.txt file that is included within the distribution. The DxWnd usage isn't always very simple, but it all starts downloading the (default) latest version build and unpacking the rar archive on a dedicated folder of your choice, then running the graphical user interface DxWnd.exe. For a generic help on usage, tip & tricks there's an (almost) up-to-date html manual that you can read with your browser by using the Help -> View help menu command. Thank you for the patience, enjoy GHO

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/

Reply 3 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a nvidia card and it's a D3D or OpenGL game, try creating a profile for it with Vsync +64x AA +8x Sparsegrid Supersampling. If it's Ddraw only, try using the framerate limiter on the profile.

Reply 4 of 6, by Vidman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well first I wish to thank everyone for their suggestions. Sadly so far nothing has worked. I did try creating a Nvidia profile with the different settings, but due to something odd (didn't find out what) it crashed the driver and I ended up having to reinstall it.

I even tried running in Virtual Box with WIndows2000 and slowing the CPU usage but it was still too fast or too slow. Couldn't seem to get it "just right".

I did grab DXWnd and wow what a program, but I really don't know what to try first. Where was the database? I am wondering if there was anything similar? Trophy Rivers also used the same game engine as Trophy Bass and other games Sierra games at the time. I bet if there is a way to use DXWnd with one of those, it would be the same settings (or close to) for Trophy Rivers.

Reply 5 of 6, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some slow-down utilites: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SlowdownUtilities.html

Here are some MORE slow down utlities: List of Slowdown Utilities (Beta)

Here are EVEN MORE slow down utilities: List of Slowdown Utilities

They may be useful, they may not. Some do eat up your CPU resources to make it slow-down.
I don't know if changing the power settings in Windows would make the game run slower.

Reply 6 of 6, by Vidman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey @Gernot66 I tried DXWnd a few times but I am kind of lost on how to work it. Tried messaging direct but looks like I am "not authorized to use that feature" 🤣. I did find the older versions but which one? There are a lot there.

@mrpengunib Thanks I did try them, so far I haven't found one that works well. Either they slow it WAY down, not enough, or have no effect.