VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Re: Do ATI/AMD cards have an Extension Limit control ?

deusfaux wrote:

Nvidia has it right in the driver settings.

I want to know if I ever felt like getting an AMD card, if I could set that or not.

Today's situation? (I'm considering an RX 570 VGA).

Reply 3 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the extension limit is built into the drivers (catalyst a.i)
try renaming the game exe to other opengl games like quake2.exe or mohaa.exe

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's worth a mention, if you use Linux and you are using Mesa (and open source graphics drivers for AMD/ATI) you can export the "MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR" variable to cut down extensions.

For example:

export MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2001

or

export MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2004

Is there nothing that can be set within the Windows Registry to accomplish the same thing without having to rely on Catalyst AI's hardcodedness?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:
It's worth a mention, if you use Linux and you are using Mesa (and open source graphics drivers for AMD/ATI) you can export the […]
Show full quote

It's worth a mention, if you use Linux and you are using Mesa (and open source graphics drivers for AMD/ATI) you can export the "MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR" variable to cut down extensions.

For example:

export MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2001

or

export MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2004

Is there nothing that can be set within the Windows Registry to accomplish the same thing without having to rely on Catalyst AI's hardcodedness?

GLIntercept !

RX 570 arrived today, good old 1998 Sin working 😉

Reply 6 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All working well !

EF2-2019-10-04-23-03-00-910.jpg

sin-2019-10-04-22-00-36-413.jpg

Sin needs Vertical Sync forcing via Catalyst Settings or via game console re-set (simple autoexec/config file entry seems not working)
Elite Force 2 V-Sync disabled (it cause an heavy performance hit), S-Sync forced via RTSS 😀

Reply 7 of 22, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you play Elite Force 2 in widescreen?
If I use driver 19.9.2 and set widescreen resolution, Elite Force 2 seems like run in 16bit with terrible color dithering even when I've set it to 32bit. I have to revert to driver 19.5.2.

How to set widescreen: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/star-trek-elite-force-ii

Reply 8 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yochenhsieh wrote:

Can you play Elite Force 2 in widescreen?
If I use driver 19.9.2 and set widescreen resolution, Elite Force 2 seems like run in 16bit with terrible color dithering even when I've set it to 32bit. I have to revert to driver 19.5.2.

How to set widescreen: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/star-trek-elite-force-ii

It's the same for every IDTech3 based game.

No mod for the HUD?

Reply 9 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks right to me!
In-game anisotropic filtering and original MSAA 4x enabled too!

EF2-2019-10-05-11-10-43-029.jpg

What an old beauty 😀

Clearly there's a performance issue with old OpenGL 1.x games (the VSync is disabled, I got 55 FPS with some stuttering), but hey.....it's working.

Reply 11 of 22, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yochenhsieh wrote:

For the stuttering, try rename ef2.exe to quake3.exe if you haven't done so. I know that's weird but it seems work.

Does naming it something else other than quake3.exe have the same effect?
There may be registry entrie(s) being loaded or .dll's either not being loaded or loaded when the game is named ef2.exe.
Compare what .dll's are loaded when the game executable is named ef2.exe, and then when the .exe is named to quake3.exe with Process Explorer.

Reply 12 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stuttering apart.....(and r_primitives in the engine apart) there's a good explanation about the general low performance in OpenGL 1.x of today Radeon GPUs?
I mean, a *good* theoretical explanation.

Reply 13 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's really strange, maybe the problem ARE the (maybe very old, 15 years old) profiles and not the lack thereof.....

Sin (no already existing profile) with MSAA 4x and AF 16x:

sin-2019-10-06-13-51-24-998.jpg

It's good, really good, but a GeForce 1050 Ti walls @500 FPS in the same conditions (500 FPS is the hardcoded limit)

Reply 14 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the sad AMD Radeon situation (Catalyst 19.9.3) with OpenGL.....ioRTCW OpenGL 2.x + ESRGAN textures:

GeForce 1050 T:
GeForce.jpg

Radeon RX 570:
Radeon.jpg

It's.....sad 🙁 (rendering is correct but performance is lacking, see how the frame time is erratic)

Last edited by lowenz on 2019-10-18, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 22, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RX570 is actually a RX470 with higher clocks (and higher tdp). However, it is indeed RX470/570 *should* perform at similar level to a GTX 1060 3GB, or at least better than 1050ti. 😢

I have a RX470, it's still a nice card though.

Reply 17 of 22, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It' a nice card/GPU but as expected the OpenGL driver is lacking compared to Nvidia one (but hey, the situation is better than years ago, compatibility is somehow assured eventually).
See the frame time fluctuation in ioRTCW "new" renderer! (the rasterization process is totally "unstable", there's a heavy frame time variance.....holding still ! ) With the old (original slightly modified) one the situation is less dramatic but a modest 1050 Ti can achieve 2/3 more performance.....

Last edited by lowenz on 2019-10-13, 16:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I honestly don't know what's with ATI/AMD, if it's just bad microcode on their GPU's or bad driver code, or a combination thereof.

If you want a game that performs really badly try Starsiege or Starsiege: Tribes (The only "DarkStar Engine" games there is, Dynamix was quick to move over into Torque engine after those two games), in some custom maps the framerate can go as low as 10 FPS.

Putting more than one terrain in a map can take the FPS from 60 to 28.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων