VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A long time ago I mail-ordered a game called Mission Kellogg's after filing a coupon in a Kellogg's cereal box. This is a game that reminds a bit of the old Donkey Kong Country games, made for Windows 9x and runs in a resolution of 640x480.

I have struggled for many years trying to make this game work on modern PCs, namely my Windows 10 PC. I have gotten some progress thanks to dgVoodoo2 and its ddraw wrapper, but the menu text is invisible, and the game crashes randomly after a while. I've also tested most of the compatibility settings in Windows 10 before starting the game, but still this game is buggy in my experience.

Have any of you ever heard about this game, and maybe even had a bit more luck than me running this game on modern PCs?

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Reply 1 of 2, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With all these Win9x games you are trying to get running, it may be worth it for you to invest in an old laptop (Pentium III or older) to run Win9x natively. Other options worth considering may be PCEm, or the unofficial DOSBox builds that can run Win9x (I never tried those).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 2, by Gagster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried PCem a couple of years ago; it did at that time have issues when it came to audio delay while playing games within its virtual environment. There might have been more progress in recent years however.

I also tried a very similar program called 86box, which began its life as a fork of PCem. To keep track of the actual progress of those two programs I usually search on YouTube for recent videos from various channels, before eventually upgrading to the newest build.

I haven't tried to do a Windows 95- or 98 install inside a DOSBox environment for some time; I read that DOSBox X is more aimed at installing an old version of Windows from within, while vanilla DOSBox has games and not programs and OS as the main focus. There has been talks about some kind of dynamic recompiler that's been added in newer versions of DOSBox SVN that might make a Windows 9x install more suitable because of speed improvements; I wouldn't be surprised if DOSBox X also has gotten the new recompiler added as well.

I would however not get old computer hardware just to run a few old troublesome games; having the very same games working on modern Widows 10 machines (emulation/wrappers and such) is something I would much more prefer personally.

CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080