VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by phly95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to play Crimson Skies on Windows 10 1903 (Nvidia GTX 1060), but I've encountered some issues with all methods I have seen online.
With CSfix, it runs, but ingame, there are graphical issues when set to 32 bit color mode as seen below.

Screenshot (4).jpg
Filename
Screenshot (4).jpg
File size
469.9 KiB
Views
File comment
Crimson Skies glitching
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

With the csfix.ini set to 16 bit color, the framerate tanks, and runs much slower.
With DgVoodoo, I am left with the "caps NONPOW2CONDITIONAL" glitch, meaning text shows up as a rainbow mess.
Combining DgVoodoo and csfix did not work, as with csfix, it is unable to see the ddraw.dll file.

So does anyone have any additional ideas on how to get Crimson Skies working at 60fps without graphical glitching? Preferably with some way to use at least the supported 1024x768 resolution (though 1080p would be better). BTW, Crimson Skies is abandonware now, so it's pretty easy to find now.

Reply 2 of 4, by phly95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strangely enough, I tried it again after upgrading to Windows 10 1909, and after installing it, the flickering issue was gone. (The rainbow text is still there with no patches) Though with CSfix, it's important to set "AtiFix=0" to make the circle appear properly (otherwise it appears as a square with a circle on top).

The framerate still feels a little "rough", but it doesn't feel like it's jumping every few seconds. Performance seems to be a little random, so problems may arise again. I tried the DXPrimaryEmulation -DisableMaxWindowedMode option but it causes a black screen with CSfix. But at least it works now.

Last edited by phly95 on 2019-11-16, 18:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by phly95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to mostly fix the "rough" framerate. In the NVIDIA control panel, set Crimson Skies' 3D settings to: "Maximum Prerendered Frames: 1", "Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum performance", "Threaded Optimization: Off", and most importantly "Vertical Sync: Fast".

With those set, there is only a very subtle "jump" from time to time, but it feels smooth overall.